MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-12-2012, 06:38 PM   #1
pal251
Full Fledged Farker

Default Trying out the new UDS

Trying out my new UDS thanks to Smoke and Beers for the drum btw!

Breaking it in with a single pork butt and also cooking 3 pork butts on the WSM.

Right now I have 4 pipe nipples installed. One of the nipples was open but it got up to almost 300 degrees so I closed all the nipples except for the one with the ball valve. That one is wide open.

Its rolling at or about 250 right now according to the maverick wireless on the top grate.
pal251 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2012, 07:47 PM   #2
1911Ron
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Ron

Outstanding pics please

Old 11-12-2012, 08:00 PM   #3
chriscw81
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911Ron View Post
Outstanding pics please
+1 pics or it didn't happen

[B][SIZE=1][COLOR=black]UDS | [COLOR=blue]Blue[/COLOR] Weber Performer Platinum | Chargriller Akorn | 22.5 Weber OTG | WSJ Gold | Mini WSM | Maverick ET-73 | [COLOR=blue]Blue [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Thermapen | Maverick PT-100 |[/COLOR] Gasser(charcoal chimney starter)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]
chriscw81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2012, 08:33 PM   #4
barney jr
Full Fledged Farker

awesome good luck pics pics pics!

Old 11-12-2012, 10:57 PM   #5
pal251
Full Fledged Farker

It cranked up to 300 and I had to shut down the ball valve halfway to 275ish. It will be done soon... photos will be on the way

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Old 11-13-2012, 01:46 AM   #6
pal251
Full Fledged Farker

Well bad news..... I went out and checked the weber and it was at or about 250 which was just slightly less than when I checked it before. So I opened up the bottom vent some...came back outside about an hour later and it was completely burned out. The water was still fairly warm and the bottom of the butts that were in the foil pan were steaming so I think its safe. I promptly threw them all on the UDS and wrapped them in foil. I cranked the UDS up to 300 to 320 and let it roll. I got one butt done and the rest are at or about 180. How long do you think they will take to get to about 200 at 300 degrees?

I underestimated the outside temp I think. Its about 35 out right now...or less