1993 Weber Performer - new to forum

Winz

Found some matches.
Reaction score
New member to the forum here. Last night, I picked up a weber performer (date code P) off craigslist for a good price. It is a stainless steel model with some great extras including a cast iron searing grill, indirect charcoal holders (the heavy duty kind), extra grill grates, etc. I managed to call the guy 10 minutes after he listed it and bought it right away. Here is the CL posting

ad015db5f4b9dc1033c9644c54be2a84d059210.png

I saw some blue underneath the flat black finish on the kettle. After I took it apart, a few minutes with some steel wool confirmed my suspicions - the grill was originally blue! Here is a picture of the bottom of the kettle after 30 minutes of rubbing, compared to the top of the kettle as I purchased it. Once this is cleaned up, I think it is going to be a nice looking Performer. Will post some pics when the restoration is complete.

a2c15cbdfabfda145f53b6250b8ffb02c483cb6.JPG

Very good deal - It's gonna look nice - Welcome to the forum.

Nice score. I too wonder why someone would paint over that blue??

And ANOTHER great SSP score! Nice job and welcome.

Why would someone paint over that blue?! :tsk:

My thoughts exactly. Other than some very light crazing, the blue finish looks great - no holes or big dents. In any case, I can't understand why some previous owner chose cheap, flat black paint to cover the blue.

I am going to get this Performer back to its original glory!

That guy deserved a kick in the ding ding for that move. Nice score though. :thumb:

Wow when I saw the upside down shot I figured we had another Aussie brother join us, but I see you're from Cali, whats'up-side-down?:biggrin1: Welcome to the forum.

Nice rig, congratulations on the great score! Welcome to the Hotel BBQ.....you can check out any time you like, but you can never leave! Glad you're here!

Hah, i looked at that the other night, thought about getting a family member in sac to buy it for me and hold on to it.

Neonnblack - glad I beat you to it!

Great score! What CI searing grate was included? Would love to see some pix of it once you get a chance.

Bob13 - the searing grate is pretty cool. It is a rectangular piece that fits into the center of a round grate. The sides of the round grate lift up so you can add fuel without removing the searing grate. I have been searching the web but have yet to find one like it. I just spent 2 hours with a wire brush taking all the crud off of it, and re-seasoning it much like my dutch ovens. 3 rounds in the the stove with a light coat of crisco and it is looking pretty good - nice and black. It should become non stick as well. I will post pics when I have the grill finished.

Back