MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-07-2012, 11:10 PM   #1
Igotgas
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Anybody ever considered a lift kit for their Performer?

I have been thinking that I would like to give my SS performer a lift. At 6'3" the table and kettle is awful low. I built a welding bench for myself and made it 42" tall and I love it. I obviously wouldn't make my performer 42" but it is only 29.5" tall now. I was thinking maybe a 4" or 5" lift. Anybody ever do this? I figure that I won't be able to use the stock Weber casters but I should be able to use the axle and stationary wheels without a problem. Feel free to chime in with words of wisdom and pics. And................GO!
[CENTER]Rescued Red MasterTouch - 1998[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Smoky Joe - 1984 (My Little Girls)[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Ranch Kettle X2- 2008 With Brother Marty Leach's Handles and 1991 CL find.[/CENTER]
[CENTER]SS Weber Performer X 2 [/CENTER]
Igotgas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-07-2012, 11:21 PM   #2
mbshop
Babbling Farker

seen it done but can't remember where.

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-07-2012, 11:22 PM   #3
Foxfire
Full Fledged Farker

Can't say I've ever done a mod like that but wouldn't blame anyone who did. Webers overall are kind of low, which I presume is a stability thing on the tubular legs?

If / when I get a new 22.5" I think I'll get a sexy blue OTG kettle and build a kamado-style table for it at a comfortable height for prep and cooking.

Are you thinking to mod the cart itself or just build a platform the whole unit could sit on to lift it 5 or 6 inches?
[COLOR="Blue"]Blue [/COLOR]Weber Performer + Craycort CI • [COLOR="red"]Brick Red[/COLOR] Weber One-Touch Platinum • Weber 26.75 Kettle • Akorn Kamado • ET 732 • Record-crushing [COLOR="Orange"][B]ORANGE[/B][/COLOR] Thermapen • UDS In Progress
Foxfire is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-07-2012, 11:24 PM   #4
Igotgas
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxfire View Post
Can't say I've ever done a mod like that but wouldn't blame anyone who did. Webers overall are kind of low, which I presume is a stability thing on the tubular legs?

If / when I get a new 22.5" I think I'll get a sexy blue OTG kettle and build a kamado-style table for it at a comfortable height for prep and cooking.

Are you thinking to mod the cart itself or just build a platform the whole unit could sit on to lift it 5 or 6 inches?
My plan is to mod the framework so that it still moves around the same just taller.
[CENTER]Ranch Kettle X2- 2008 With Brother Marty Leach's Handles and 1991 CL find.[/CENTER]

Old 12-08-2012, 12:06 AM   #5
MisterChrister
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Put some big ass inflatable 4x4 wheels on it! Should be easier than a frame mod.....

Old 12-08-2012, 10:53 AM   #6
el_matt
Babbling Farker

What about cutting the legs, inserting them into some square stock, and bolting or welding them together? You could do it at any place on the legs, and you could still use the castors.

I put "big" pneumatic wheels (7") on my NBBD. It raised it slightly, but made it really easy to move it, compared to the stock wheels.

Matt
el_matt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-08-2012, 11:19 AM   #7
Mo-Dave

For competition we cut short sections of pvc pipe and slip over the bottom of the legs of the folding tables which sit low, to raise them to a more comfortable height. You would need to fix the wheels to the pvc sections it you need it to roll.
Dave

Last edited by Mo-Dave; 12-08-2012 at 12:43 PM..
Mo-Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-08-2012, 11:49 AM   #8
jfletcher84
Full Fledged Farker

sounds like a cool idea. I personally wouldnt do it. I am only 5' 4" and it would not make any sense to lift it.

Old 12-08-2012, 12:38 PM   #9
Greg1911
On the road to being a farker

Stick 4 wheel barrel wheels on it. It'd look bad-ass
[COLOR="SeaGreen"]22.5" Green OTS[/COLOR]
Stainless Steel Performer
18.5" WSM
3 burner Genesis gasser
Lump
[COLOR="Red"]Astonishingly Awesome RED Themapen[/COLOR]
[COLOR="SeaGreen"]Green BBQ GURU[/COLOR]
Greg1911 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-08-2012, 12:43 PM   #10
Bluesman
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jon

+1 but they MUST have chrome rims..........
2010 Brick Red Touch n' Go Performer
Kitchen stove
Bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-08-2012, 12:48 PM   #11
colonel00

Well, there are a couple simple solutions. If you just want to lift the grill itself, you can unbolt it from the cart and insert a "block" type lift. If you want to lift the whole thing they depending on the version (Stainless or plastic top) different modifications will be necessary. Then again, you could just build a whole new cart for the grill as a fun winter project

[B][COLOR=red]WWWWFBBQADD[/COLOR][/B]
[B]0 out of 1 members found this post helpful[/B] :thumb:

“I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
colonel00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 12-08-2012, 02:46 PM   #12
slammmed
Full Fledged Farker

That table is awesome!
slammmed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-08-2012, 02:51 PM   #13
chriscw81
is One Chatty Farker

whatever you do, dont forget to post pics. i'm only 6 foot and i'm constantly wishing surfaces were higher.

[B][SIZE=1][COLOR=black]UDS | [COLOR=blue]Blue[/COLOR] Weber Performer Platinum | Chargriller Akorn | 22.5 Weber OTG | WSJ Gold | Mini WSM | Maverick ET-73 | [COLOR=blue]Blue [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Thermapen | Maverick PT-100 |[/COLOR] Gasser(charcoal chimney starter)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]
chriscw81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-09-2012, 12:44 AM   #14
Igotgas
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_matt View Post
What about cutting the legs, inserting them into some square stock, and bolting or welding them together? You could do it at any place on the legs, and you could still use the castors.

I put "big" pneumatic wheels (7") on my NBBD. It raised it slightly, but made it really easy to move it, compared to the stock wheels.

Matt
I thought about that but I decided that I didn't want to cut up the original framework. I do like the idea of the pneumatic tires though. I have a rough driveway that doesn't make a good rolling surface for the little Performer casters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel00 View Post
Well, there are a couple simple solutions. If you just want to lift the grill itself, you can unbolt it from the cart and insert a "block" type lift. If you want to lift the whole thing they depending on the version (Stainless or plastic top) different modifications will be necessary. Then again, you could just build a whole new cart for the grill as a fun winter project
That is a great looking table colonel. I think I want the whole thing lifted not just the grill. Since it is a Stainless table I want to have the work surface up higher so I can use it too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscw81 View Post
whatever you do, dont forget to post pics. i'm only 6 foot and i'm constantly wishing surfaces were higher.
No worries there Chris. I will definitely post pics. I have been thinking about this and I don't see it being very difficult.

Old 12-09-2012, 06:42 AM   #15
Pappy
is Blowin Smoke!

Can't wait to see some pics.

I sit in a chair when I grill on the performer. I'm 6'-1"