Wood q's

viggysmalls

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
As I eagerly anticipate my transition to a stick burner, I have a few wood-related questions. (Insert joke here). I'll do my best to keep this from a "charcoal vs. only wood" burning debate.

1. What's a fair price on 1 cord of wood? What's a fair price on 1/2 a cord of wood?
2. Do I want 6-inch or 12-inch length slices of wood?
3. About how many pieces of wood will I go through on a Backyard Jambo for a full brisket smoke (assuming I use wood as my fuel and smoke source)?

I tried to do a search for threads detailing these questions, but it was to no avail. Apologies if I've re-asked questions discussed ad naseum.

Pricing on wood will vary due to location, availability,species, quantity.
You might look online at craigslist for local pricing or other sources.
jon

You would use wood splits. 6" seems small. Who wants small wood?
I have heard that you will add 1 split about every hour to your hot bed of coals.

i would go with 10in or so splits, in MI where I live a 1/2 cord of apple wood is about 75 to 100$, hickory is about is 85$ to $115. What I do for wood if you have a chainsaw, I made up some card with my name and phone #, a note that says " I see you have some trees that need trimming. I will trade you the free trimming if I can keep the wood" you can get them printed on vista print for free. sometimes the people call back, sometimes they don;t. I just take new ways home from work everyfew days. if they don;t call no loss. it they do cool, you get some free wood.

As I eagerly anticipate my transition to a stick burner, I have a few wood-related questions. (Insert joke here). I'll do my best to keep this from a "charcoal vs. only wood" burning debate.

1. What's a fair price on 1 cord of wood? What's a fair price on 1/2 a cord of wood?
2. Do I want 6-inch or 12-inch length slices of wood?
3. About how many pieces of wood will I go through on a Backyard Jambo for a full brisket smoke (assuming I use wood as my fuel and smoke source)?

I tried to do a search for threads detailing these questions, but it was to no avail. Apologies if I've re-asked questions discussed ad naseum.
Hello North Neighbor...I'm from Sedalia and I've looked on Craigslist for Kansas City and the price of wood varies greatly up there!!! I've seen wood for $75 half cord delivered and probably upwards of $125 you pick it up. You might be able to contact some of the tree trimming places to see if they would let you pick up some of the wood they cut down or better yet, drop it off at your house. I've heard of people doing this before, however I have never tried it. I'm just getting started with a stick burner as well and have yet to fuel it with full wood. I am thinking that unless I smoke a lot, half a cord will do me almost all year so $70 or $80 worth of fuel for a year/summer is pretty good compared to charcoal cost. It's so good that I'm not even going to fire up my saw to cut any! Good luck!!

Hello North Neighbor...I'm from Sedalia and I've looked on Craigslist for Kansas City and the price of wood varies greatly up there!!! I've seen wood for $75 half cord delivered and probably upwards of $125 you pick it up. You might be able to contact some of the tree trimming places to see if they would let you pick up some of the wood they cut down or better yet, drop it off at your house. I've heard of people doing this before, however I have never tried it. I'm just getting started with a stick burner as well and have yet to fuel it with full wood. I am thinking that unless I smoke a lot, half a cord will do me almost all year so $70 or $80 worth of fuel for a year/summer is pretty good compared to charcoal cost. It's so good that I'm not even going to fire up my saw to cut any! Good luck!!

Having perused Craigslist, there's a guy in Syracuse, Missouri selling reasonably priced smoking wood. Who knows how good it is, but seems like a pretty nice fellow.

Back