Tri - Tip on a Small Egg & a 'lil pron.

OakPit

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Quick supper tonight and a sale on TT here in Livermore. Peeled for 3.99/lb (Raley's/Nob Hill).

Wicked Good Lump/Wine Infused Oak/Blue Star & The Rub Co. Original

5494980685_e86859430d_m.jpg
5494910634_4f561ed808_m.jpg
5495538410_6aa1e96a28_m.jpg

Thanks, Found and bought a TT today and will cook tomorrow.
Some wine infused oak sounds good as I have some great Green Leaf wood.:wink:
Any temp/time suggestions?:help:

Thanks, Found and bought a TT today and will cook tomorrow.
Some wine infused oak sounds good as I have some great Green Leaf wood.:wink:
Any temp/time suggestions?:help:

350F for 45 Min. or 300F for 1hr 10min. Pull at 135-140F and rest for 15 minutes.

Post a few pics!

I've never had a Tri Tip. Tell me about it someone. Please!

Jim if you've enjoyed a culotte which is cut from the top sirloin, you'll enjoy the tri-tip, cut from the bottom sirloin.

It's a triangular cut popularized in California in the '90's and before that, usually ground into hamburger. It can be most tasty or it can resole you worn out shoe, depending upon what YOU do with it.

I am not only a competitive bbqer but a competitive chili head, as well and many of us use it because it produces a good taste and consistency but damned near no grease. ( Chili comp - grease = bad...UG! )

If you are going to slow cook it, consider wrapping it in bacon. No. I'm not kidding.

Hi Tim,
Thanks for the tip-tips! Like I said, I had to cook on the gasser, but still followed your time/temps.
Ran out of propane early and had to trade a tank in a downpour. (not fun)
But, this was great. Happily made a mess out of my counter! Nothing a little Clorox won't help.
I think the resting was the key.
But as my first TT, this was great! wife and kids loved it too!
For all east coasters who don't normally try tri-tips, find one and try it. YUM!
Oyster Bay-20110306-00003.jpg

If there isn't a huge pool of juice, something went wrong! Grab some garlic bread and soak up some of that yummy juice.

Back