MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ > For the Board

Notices

For the Board *On Topic Only* Strictly moderated. NO BAD KARMA! This forum is for questions and discussions you would like reviewed by members of the KCBS(or other BBQ orgs) Board of Directors. A clean and direct place where they do not have to wade thru day to day chatter.

Old 08-11-2008, 10:59 PM   #1
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil
Default August BOD Agenda

Board of Director’s Meeting
Tuesday, August 12, 2008
AGENDA
I. Auditor’s Report
II. Requests to speak by Guy Simpson
III. Approval of Minutes from July Meeting
IV. Accounting
a. Financial Reports
V. Contests:
a. A review of any issues with past contest:
b. Sanctioning Requests Tana Shupe:
ii. License Requests
iii. Organizers Handbook/Sanction Request (tabled from July 08 mtg)
VI. Committee Reports:

a. Finance Committee Report Wayne Lohman:
• A discussion about benefit programs for employees of KCBS..
• A discussion of the KCBS response to management letter.

b. New Ideas Committee Merl Whitebook
• A proposal that late entries and disqualified teams receive 1's in all categories, rather than 0's.
• A proposal regarding how to run judge a backyard contest when in conjunction with a KCBS contest.

c. Rep. Committee Carol Whitebook
• Discussion of letters and responses sent to Contest Reps regarding contest or other matters.

d. Rules Committee: Rod Gray No report

e. Sanctioning Committee: Tana Shupe
• Updated sanction request form and agreement (attached)

f. CBJ Committee: Ed Roith No Report

g. Education Committee: Paul Kick
Discussion about existing educational programs and expansion.
Discussion about possible Organizer's program for banquet

h. Marketing: Troy Black No Report

i. Technology Committee: Don Harwell No Report

j. Nominating Committee: Merl Whitebook
• Discussion of the 2009 Election procedures timeline

VII. Old Business:
a. Discussion of the response form a team over conduct issues

VIII. New Business:
a. Discussion over the possible reinstatement of a competition team.
b. Discussion over Rep. Oversight
c. Discussion concerning contests requiring teams to vend
d. Request from LA School collaborate on KCBS curriculum
e. Director of Operation Report (Jennifer)
f. Discussion of possible action concerning CBJ misconduct.

IX. Other: Any other matter that may come before the board

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-12-2008, 07:46 AM   #2
ThomEmery
Babbling Farker

Looks like a full program

Team What Wood Jesus Que?

Www.bbqthom.com
ThomEmery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 08:58 PM   #3
Merl
Full Fledged Farker

Default Quick Notes have been posted

Quick Notes from the Board Room
August 12, 2008

The KCBS Board of Directors, this month continued its conversations concerning the procedure for licensing of 1st time Non Sanctioned contest (without a proclamation.) and stand alone (non KCBS meat) contests. It is the goal of KCBS to provide its style of contest and competition to more types of contests. The Board the granted a license to several of these types of contests, to be a licensed KCBS contest. If you have a particular interest to organize a sanctioned or licensed contest, contact KCBS for more information.

The Board modified the procedure regarding DQ’s. The policy will provide that all DQ’s receive a score of 1. This will primarily effect DQ’s such as a late turn in which is not accepted, and currently would show a score of 0’s. This will modify the entry of score for such a DQ to provide for scores of 1’s in all criteria. This will not change how specific DQ’s are handled as published in the 2008 KCBS Rules and Regulations.

The Board established a policy for judging of Backyard contest. It is the desire of the Board that Backyard and KCBS judging not be mixed or scored together. The recommended procedure will be provided to all Contest Reps and Organizers.

The Board resolved issues regarding four, KCBS Contest Reps. A Competition Cook team was placed on one year probation for conduct unbecoming the standards of KCBS and a CBJ was suspended for one year for a violation of the CBJ code of conduct.

Paul Kirk introduced a project to produce a promotional and educational video outline all facets of organizing a KCBS contest and other helpful issues. He expects to be producing the CD as part of the annual banquet.

The Board voted to change the date of the 2009 Annual Banquet which will be held in Nashville, Tn, from the Martin Luther King weekend to January 23-24, 2009.

The Board discussed the 2009 elections. Nominations for candidates will begin October 1, 2008 and conclude on October 31st, 2008. Any member of KCBS in good standing may be nominated to be a candidate to serve on the KCBS Board of Directors for a term of three years. (Self nominations are acceptable.) Nominations must include the candidate’s name, address, phone number and e-mail address. Send nominations to [email protected] and to [email protected].

* These are not the official minutes of the meeting. Quick Notes are simply provided as an effort to give members a quick summary of the KCBS Board of Directors meeting. Merl Whitebook, Secretary.
Merl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 09:07 PM   #4
bbqbull
Watching over us.

Thanks Merl, your work here is sincerely appreciated.

"I wish my mind could forget what my eyes have seen. :shocked:"

"Heavily medicated for your protection. :doh:"

Klose Mobile Pit
Klose Owners Reccomended Pit
Cookshack Smokette
Gasser
Little Chief Smoker
Large BGE
Gifted to me my Pit Barrel Smoker :mrgreen::clap:[URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/"][/URL]
bbqbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 07:49 PM   #5
Spydermike72
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqbull View Post
Thanks Merl, your work here is sincerely appreciated.
I have to second that as well!! I am confident that with good folks like you on the BOD the KCBS is in good hands!!
Backwoods Competitor
Backwoods Party
Weber Performer
Certified Moink Baller
Past President of the Great Lakes BBQ Association

For those who fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know
Spydermike72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 12:02 PM   #6
MoKanMeathead
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merl View Post
Quick Notes from the Board Room
August 12, 2008

The Board modified the procedure regarding DQ’s. The policy will provide that all DQ’s receive a score of 1. This will primarily effect DQ’s such as a late turn in which is not accepted, and currently would show a score of 0’s. This will modify the entry of score for such a DQ to provide for scores of 1’s in all criteria. This will not change how specific DQ’s are handled as published in the 2008 KCBS Rules and Regulations.

Merl,

How will this work? If I enter a contest and only turn-in chicken and no other categories will my score for the other categories be 20 (1's in all areas from 5 judges)? Will this change in scoring be efftive 1/1/09 or now in the middle of the year? What was the reason for this change?
MoKanMeathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 02:17 PM   #7
Merl
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoKanMeathead View Post
Merl,

How will this work? If I enter a contest and only turn-in chicken and no other categories will my score for the other categories be 20 (1's in all areas from 5 judges)? Will this change in scoring be efftive 1/1/09 or now in the middle of the year? What was the reason for this change?
Wayne we had an issue where a team was DQ' d for late turn in. He received zeros. Some of the invitational organizations questioned that it was not a turn in and could jeopardize a small contest.

Plus we recognized that all other DQ's receive a 1 in one or more criteria. That to be consistent all DQ's should be handled in a similar manner. That is the goal.

If you do not turn in, that is not a DQ and would depending on the computer set up receive zeros or no score at all.

This was designed to make all DQ's a value of 1 and not some 1 and some 0. I know this will hurt the team competing for DAL!

Merl
Old 08-20-2008, 04:34 PM   #8
MoKanMeathead
is One Chatty Farker

Thanks Merl - I had "heard" that some of the invitational organizations MAY be changing their requirements and wondered if this was related. If those organizations want to clarify their requirements they should do so but the way I read the Jack and ARBBQ requirements ther only has to be 25 teams - NOT 25 teams that turned in all categories.

Anyway thanks for the clarification.
MoKanMeathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 08:43 PM   #9
Merl
Full Fledged Farker

I hope the invitational committee would have a unified standard. It was one contest, which questioned the team count based on zero's due to a late turn in. While this will help, my issue is why we would have a DQ which was not a 1. I felt it was better to treat all DQ's with 1's as prescribed in the rules.
Merl
Old 08-22-2008, 12:16 AM   #10
KC_Bobby
Babbling Farker

So say if a brisket was 40 second late at a comp ... lets say Waucoma do to number of teams, the team that brought up the brisket 40 seconds late would have received all 1's so 25 teams would have competed in all 4 catagories ... right?
Proud KCBS Member & Certified Judge

KC_Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 01:30 PM   #11
DMDon
Full Fledged Farker

Apparently nobody cares to answer you Bobby.
KCBS CBJ #23234
DMDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 05:34 PM   #12
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Name/Nickname : Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMDon View Post
Apparently nobody cares to answer you Bobby.
I really doubt that.
It is a Monday after a full weekend for those that compete or sit on the BOD.

It will just be a bit before a proper response from someone qualified to answer will show up.

TIM
Old 08-25-2008, 06:32 PM   #13
ThomEmery
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_Bobby View Post
So say if a brisket was 40 second late at a comp ... lets say Waucoma do to number of teams, the team that brought up the brisket 40 seconds late would have received all 1's so 25 teams would have competed in all 4 catagories ... right?
Thats why this is on the table to get the 25s and 50s

Team What Wood Jesus Que?

Www.bbqthom.com
ThomEmery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 10:35 PM   #14
DMDon
Full Fledged Farker

Because Booby and I are directly related to this issue, we were late at Waucoma. We are genuinally interested in the ruling on this. Not for our own sake, but to see that the GC rightfully gets the win to count towards the Royal and Jack. They did nothing wrong and shouldn't be penalized due to our screwup. Thanks for understanding, why we are concerned. We value the friendships we have made and don't want to drive a wedge between us and other teams, because the event may not qualify.
KCBS CBJ #23234
DMDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 07:20 AM   #15
Merl
Full Fledged Farker

Your questions and assumptions are correct. The KCBS Board had been discussing this change over the past year. You are correct, it is precisely a situation as you discribe that prompted the action to make all DQ's have a value of 1. This procedural modification makes all DQ's similar in value and no longer would a late turn in be a zero, but receive 1's in all criteria. Caveat: If the team simply does not turn in, then a zero will still show up. (that is not a DQ).
Merl