Sunday: Fall weather, football, beer, and of course giant beef ribs

pabbqnewb

Reaction score
Morning pharkers! It is finally starting to get chilly up here in the north. However, it seems that we skipped the fall temperatures and dipping into the 40's and low 50's which I don't know if I'm ready to commit to yet!

I haven't had the chance to use the summit charcoal in a few weeks and have been itching to fire her up. A co-worker recommended to me a good local butcher that I haven't used and I went over first thing friday morning to check out the pickings. He had a great selection of pork and beef products along with the speciality meat sticks and snacks. I was chatting with the butcher and asked if he had any texas beef plate ribs in which he said he normally just cuts them down into short ribs because no one uses the whole slab up here. No no sir, go ahead and give me the whole slab.

Woke up at 6:00 am Sunday with the plan to get the summit all set up and my beef ribs on at 8:00 am. IMG_0206.jpg IMG_0207.jpg

The summit was purring all day at 275, it was beautiful. It took til about noon when I decided to wrap them at 165 with a little beef broth. They were finally probing like butter at 6:30. Rested for an hour and couldn't wait to dive in!

IMG_0209.jpg
IMG_0210.jpg

All in all they were delicious! This is the first time I've ever made beef ribs and they were definitely an all day commitment. This is one of the first long smokes I've used my summit for and it worked like a charm. I hooked it up to my CyberQ and it stayed within 10 degrees of 275 all day and I think is maybe even more responsive to changes than a tradition ceramic, I loved it.

That's a lot of meat on those bones!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

They were killer and as you can see, were loaded with meat! What's the best way to reheat these bad boys for the rest of the week? Thinking about making some short rib tacos with the leftovers.

Back