Brisket Timing Question

MattCom

Take a breath!
Reaction score
Brothers, so I went ahead and purchased a 15# brisket (packer). After trimming it will be a pound less or so.
I plan to serve it Sunday afternoon (3pm) at a party we are having. The question is how long I should allow for the cook in the WSM?, Give or take 4 hrs. I've read 1-1.5 hrs per pound at 230. So going with that it could be 14-21 hrs.
I plan to start it a 6 pm on Saturday, does that seem like correct timing? I have not cooked such a colossal piece of meat, the largest before has been 8#.
I appreciate your input. I will follow up with pics.

Go with that. If it gets done early, then it is cooler time until serving.

Better early than late.

I'll run my packers about 14-16 hours. I also separate the point from the flat at around 170 internal and wrap them. looks to me thats plenty of time.

Inject that sucker, cook it hot and fast 350 or so. It will be done in 4 hours or less. You can do this on the weber. We have won 1st place doing this with 10+ lb packers.

Thanks for the advice. I do plan to seperate the point at the time I wrap the brisket (around 170ish) to make some burnt ends. I hope the timing allows me to cooler for a couple of hrs. If it takes too long the wife is going to give me the evil eye.:icon_pissed Either way I will probably not get lots of sleep Saturday night. Espresso and black sambuca will be be the bev of choice. WIRED!:icon_bugeyed

Zilla, I'd like to give that a try, just not on this one. What do you put in your injecting liquids to assure tenderness?

Do most members here seperate at 170 when doing contest?

matt,
don't fear if it finishes to early or to late, we'll show up early and stay late to make sure nothing goes to waste.:biggrin::biggrin:

I just did a brisket last night. It was 14 pounds. I didn't trim the fat cap at all. Injected, then mopped with a mixture of apple cider vinegar, beer, brown sugar, red pepper flakes, garlic powder, onion powder, and a few other spices. I cooked a tad long but the brisket was moist and tender. Fall apart tender so I went just a tad long.

Back