• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

PopCorn

N8man

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
OK, I'm a big fan of Popcorn...buttery, salty, cheesy, caramel...love them all....:icon_smile_tongue:
I also like to season my Popcorn with various BBQ rubs as well...
How do you like your Popcorn?
Got any killer recipes to share???

th

Tried some Yardbird the other night. Not bad, but I didn't like the sweet. I am old school. I like real butter and salt, that's all. Now I gotta make some, it's like a Jedi Mind Trick! Fark!

Thanks N8!!!
Because my new popcorn popper (recommended by Chicagokp and is American simple brilliance!!!) instructs NOT to use OO...and I LOVE OO.
Next batch, I'm using EVOO!

If you havent tried it, put popcorn in a bowl with space.
Trickle golden syrup over the popcorn, squeeze a lemon or lime and toss, repeat.Pinch of salt.
Totally great!

What's your heat source? It used to be a gas burner here.

I use the electric stovetop and a big ol' pot and vented lid...
two tablespoons olive oil
one tablespoon melted butter
1/2 cup popcorn

heat the oil on high with a few kernels till they pop
cut the heat down just a bit and add the 1/2 cup
shake till popping stops...

My popcorn popper is a sauce pan, I use evoo, and leave the top ajar so that the popped kernels don't steam. The steam make them tough and hard. Heat the oil with 3 kernels in the oil. When the three kernels pop, add the rest of the corn, and let her rip. Salt, and butter ( melted and cooled ) when the popping is done! My favorite way to piss off my dentist!

Here's how me and the kids like it:
1. Squeeze lime juice on it, with some hot sauce.

2. Same as number one, but we drip some pickle juice on it. Instead of hot sauce, we use chili powder.

3. Lawry's seasoned salt and butter.

We have a thing for sour and salty and spicy. The juices will make the popcorn a bit soggy, but still good as there will still be plenty of crunchy corns in there.

I once tried some drizzled with a balsamic vinegar reduction. Just vinegar and sugar reduced in a pan till it's like syrup. Good stuff too!

Most times, we eat it as is with a pickle on the side.

Good thread! I love popcorn.I have never made it from scratch. I love movie theater buttered popcorn. I have to believe that popcorn popped in bacon grease is awesome, even if it can kill me.

I'm not much into sweet popcorn. Small amounts are okay.

I need to follow this thread. Thanks N8.

CD

Good thread! I love popcorn.I have never made it from scratch. I love movie theater buttered popcorn. I have to believe that popcorn popped in bacon grease is awesome, even if it can kill me.

I'm not much into sweet popcorn. Small amounts are okay.

I need to follow this thread. Thanks N8.

CD

There's an idea...............popcorn drizzled with bacon grease INSTEAD of butter! We all gotta die someday!:becky:

We love popcorn is our house. My favorite additive to put a splash or two or maybe three shacks of Tabasco sauce in the oil pryer to cooking.

N8 Here is all you need to know. At the upper end grocery stores they sell coconut oil. It is what popcorn was popped in at the theaters years ago. It is a hard white solid at room temp and it will not caramelize like olive oil when heated. Put about 80% of the coconut oil you need for popping in the pan and the other 20% make up with bacon drippings. It won't taste like bacon and the coconut oil is very taste neutral. Pop and drizzle melted real butter and sprinkle salt on it and the party is over.

from the karo syrup website, one of my favorites..

Classic Caramel Corn
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Yield: 4 quarts
Mazola Pure® Cooking Spray
4 quarts popped popcorn
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup Karo® Light OR Dark Corn Syrup
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter OR margarine
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon Spice Islands® Pure Vanilla Extract
Spray a large shallow roasting pan with cooking spray. Add popcorn and place in preheated 250°F oven while preparing caramel.
Mix brown sugar, corn syrup, butter and salt in a heavy 2-quart saucepan. Stirring constantly, bring to a boil over medium heat.
Boil 5 minutes WITHOUT STIRRING. Remove from heat. Stir in baking soda and vanilla.
Pour syrup mixture over warm popcorn, stirring to coat evenly.
Bake for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from oven and spread on foil that has been sprayed with cooking spray.
Cool; break apart. Store in tightly covered container

Back