Where Can I Get a Goat in the NOVA Area?

powerpig

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
OK, I cooked a whole pig for the 4th, now I want to do a goat for Labor Day. I live in the DC burbs of North VA and would be willing to travel up to 50 miles for a dressed, ready to cook goat. Any help would be appreciated.

You may be able to find one at either an Hispanic Carniceria or perhaps a Halal grocer.

This may not help you but I googled "goat farms in virginia" and had more than a few hits. You may find one close to you who slaughters and dresses. Good luck.

Try Hispanic markets or halal butchers. In Iowa, we got a goat (on the hoof) from the Amish. However, you should know that Ramadan is coming to a close, and folks will celebrate by having a goat slaughtered, so prices may be high. I would probably wait for a while before buying.

Go to the Fla Ave Market in NE DC. I was there last weekend and saw a guy selling cut up goat. They will proably be able to take care of you.

Thanks for the responses. I should have searched a little harder. Found one via a Washington Post article and it's close by. I shot him an email.

Last edited:
I lived in Sterling about 12 yrs ago, there was a Halal butcher shop in a shopping area near a Safeway. if it is still there, not sure.

Drive down a country road, find some goats in a field, and drive in to see if they're milk or meat goats.

Restaurant Depot carries goat (one in Alexandria, VA) but I found Mexican butcher/markets are cheaper.

CORRECTION: That was lamb DOH!

Well, I found my goat. I'm in PA on business this week and found an Amish butcher that had one. I'm picking it up Friday on my way back to VA.

Back