Commericial Refrigerator

markgerickson

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Looking for some points of view. I have been looking for NSF Refrigerator? Hoping to score a deal on auction or by checking craigslist. No luck so far. Thinking about pulling the string and buying a single door. I can get a arctic air for $1262 or a ascend for $1362 both with free shipping. Any recommendations?

We use Arctic Air here at the Hut. Got them from Equippers.com freight wasn't too bad - though we did get quite a bit of equipment.

Arctic Air 1-door reach in

Whatever you choose - skip stainless steel. Adds needless cost to the fridge.

Cook - I recommend basic white. Usually a couple hundred less & my HD inspector actually gave me props for saving $$ by not going stainless steel. There is no reason - other than jacking up the cost & "looking cool" - to use stainless fridges/freezers. Basic White cleans just as easily.

i have both..white in my vending trailer and stainless in my restaurant. the arctic airs i have are brand new and i wish i would have went for stainless in the trailer. the bottom of the untit will rust where the bottom rack comes into contact with the unit. stainless is not for looks as some people would like to believe. i do not suggest arctic air unless you are looking for an inexpensive commercial grade unit.

Just a thought, have you checked any restaurant supply companies? They may have a used one or know of a restaurant that is looking to sell one. Check for restaurants that are going out of business.

I've never had a stainless unit rust.

White? I've never owned any, but I've seen plenty of rusty ones...and that's exactly why I've never owned one.

Each to their own.

I've never encountered any rusty white fridges in any of the restaurant kitchens I've worked in.A little frightened to know how a fridge rusts in a commercial kitchen operating under proper cleaning & health reg.

White fridges when properly maintained according to Health Dept. regs will not rust, work exactly the same as stainless & cost many $$$ less.

But hey - if you've got the money to throw away on stainless - go for it. They sure do look purdy.

I've been in the HVACR business for over 30 years. Most of the "light duty" commercial refers are the same. Delfield, Arctic Air, and a bunch of others. Price is the only real differance. These won't last nearly as long as a heavy duty refer such as a Traulsen. For the same reason, I wouldn't suggest purchasing a used light duty refer except for Traulsen.

Any restaurant that has a bunch of minimum wage people running around will stay with SS. They'll take the abuse that a painted one won't. If it's just you, it won't be a problem.

Sounds good. I bought a used Randell this weekend at auction took a gamble and it had a leak in the system. Will cost way more that its worth to fix it. Sounds like a chance to build a smoker. Looking at a saturn refrigerator? Any comments?

We use old snapple coolers with the big glass door. Made by True and very dependable. Adjustable shelves for fine tuning your fit

The Randell was a dud - Needed the old freon & evaporator coil leaking. Way more to fix that its worth. Sounds like a new smoker project. Ended up buying an ascend single door. Works great. Now on to building a smoker.

Back