• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Why do you compete?

Why do yo compete in BBQ contests?

• To see old friends and meet new ones with thew same interests

Votes: 31 35.2%
  • The money!!

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Name recognition for my business

Votes: 7 8.0%
  • To crush my opponents and become king of the BBQ world

Votes: 14 15.9%
  • I'm an insomniac so I might as well stay up all night cooking

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • I'm ultra competitive but I'm too old and fat to run a marathon

Votes: 32 36.4%

• Total voters
At first it was all about braggin' rights..."Hey man...look at me!" Now it's mostly about the people...hangin' out with friends (old and new)...having a few cold ones and talkin' story! :thumb: Still...there's the anticipation and rush you get each time you get a call! :cool:

To have fun and see your ugly mug, lol! :p
Don't get me wrong, I go to do my best, but I can only do comps a few times a year due to catering, the fishing biz and the day job.

Trying to do at least five this year!

I would say at this point(I have done 6 comps) it is for the rush of the call and the challenge. Those are getting pushed back a little more at each contest by the great people I have met and the friendships I have formed. The contest that really showed me what is was about was at Shannon, IL. When I took a class from rub with swampboys and seen how everybody helped him out to make sure he had what he needed coming all the way from FL. Scotty, his girls and sister from cancersucks Chicago and Todd with ployboys are the best.

You need a slot for "It's a great way to spend time with my family where everyone has a job, and everyone shares in the reward."

Because BBQ competition isn't "black and white" -- what works today may flop tomorrow. Lots and lots of variables. CHALLENGE :grin:

You need to allow multiple answers. The only one I wouldn't click is that insomniac one.

Say what you want at the end of the day if you are really there to win then it's the competitive spirit that drives you. I think it's great to meet new friends, see old ones again and it's extremely relaxing for me. When I just do a contest and don't vend it's like a holiday. It was that way before I started vending and was still doing consulting.

For me it's a combination of the 1st and last. I like the competition, it brings back the rush of being young and playing sports, but I am not super competitive. Then Along the way I have made many new friends.

I enjoy it because it's a chance to get together with a bunch of other people who share the same love of cooking bbq. I also enjoy it because it's competitive, but not to the point of taking the fun out of it.

Friday is like a tailgate and Saturday is for the competition, but at awards, it's all about listening for your name and the names of your friends.

For me, initially, I wanted to get a better idea of how good (or bad) my Q really was. Friends and family are reliable benchmarks but they won't always tell you straight up if something is amiss or lacking. They don't want to offend nor risk getting cut off. Competing has really given me the opportunity to travel, meet new friends and share in the sucess and disappointments of competing.

I've only done one comp so far, back in April. I've wanted to for a while, I've helped other teams before and didn't have much say in the process or product so I decided to do it on my own. My Dad and I always talked about it, but unfortunately we lost him back in February. I like to compete, and didn't know so much about the camaraderie until I did the comp in April. I was sandwiched between two extremely helpful pitmasters and they offered tips and advice. My family was there to help and I think I've hooked my Mom and Sister. We're looking forward to more cookoffs in 2011, and to learn how to use our new Backwoods Fatty.

I WILL be doing it for a lot of reasons. 1) I want to know how my Que stacks up against proven, legit, guys who have been in the biz for a long time. 2) As a necessary step towards some type of catering/roadside/market business. 3) As a way to spend quality time with my family. I'm not getting into it for a couple years, letting my kids (all four of them 6/5/3/1) get a little older. Finally, and probably most important BECAUSE I LOVE TO QUE!!!!! Good luck to all in upcoming comps.

To me it is a combination of several things - some of which are not listed in the poll. I enjoy the whole aspect of the competition, meeting new people, renewing friendships with other teams, cooking the entries, putting our entries up against all others, the fun before/during/and after the competition, etc.

Its the only way I know of to be around others who share this hobby/obsession.

I slightly misread the question. It started as a competitive thing. But now it's seeing friends and the competitive thing - it is a thrill to hear your team called last.

Back