Shrimp Diablo and ABT's

U

ulikadawgs

Does anyone else make these? I take a jalapeno and cut a slit in it and hollow it out, and stuff it with cheese and shrimp and wrap it in bacon. Throw those on the smoker at 225 for about 1 hour and you've got a great appetizer.

That is a nice twist to the traditional ABT! When I seen your subject line I was thinking that of the classical shrimp sauté' in a pan with garlic, olive oil, then hit with some tomato sauce (some folks up in the northeast call it gravy) then seasoned with a nice dose of red pepper flakes to make it hot, hence the name Diablo (devil).

Shrimp in almost anything sounds good to me!

Made turds last night for my B-Day party with my usual JD sausage and cream cheese filling. I am going to have to play with some other fillings. I'm curious about the cheese you use with shrimp. Dawg, what type of cheese do you use? I assume cream cheese would be a good choice, what else would work? I read where one of ya'll use little smokies and cheddar cheese as a filling. What meat cheese combinations do you guys use?

Heimelswine said:
Made turds last night for my B-Day party with my usual JD sausage and cream cheese filling. I am going to have to play with some other fillings. I'm curious about the cheese you use with shrimp. Dawg, what type of cheese do you use? I assume cream cheese would be a good choice, what else would work? I read where one of ya'll use little smokies and cheddar cheese as a filling. What meat cheese combinations do you guys use?
Let you imagination run wild here :lol:
I have used (in various combinations):
Crumbled up Fatties (my favorite).
Any sausage (chopped up).
Shrimp.
Ham.
Bacon.
Lil Smokies (chopped up).
Hamburger.
"Whatever" cooked meat is in the frig.

Cheddar Cheese.
Tex-Mex 4 cheese mix.
"Whatever" shredded cheese in in the frig.
I always mix the various cheeses about 50/50 with cream cheese.

No two batches have ever been the same.
And, a ABT has never been thrown away at my house--no survivors :lol:

Doubt that TOFU would work, but TK might have some input on that :lol:

TIM

Cream cheese and chopped up pulled pork. Going to have to try the shrimp mod. Do you put a rqw or cooked shrimp in? Probably would work good with scallops too! Another good one is to roll up a dollup of cream cheese in a slice of Genoa Salami and then cram that puppy in the jap.

willkat98 said:
Try it with poblanos and turn that appetizer into a meal!

Smoked stuffed peppers. Yum. My wife puts some rice in them. Sound good BRD?

I do it with shrimp and seasoned cream cheese stuffed into a jap with JD sausage on top. You can cook some shrimp and chop them up but it's easier with some pre cooked bay shrimp or canned shrimp.

parrothead said:
Careful, this thread is about to get roadmapped. TMI.
There are a couple of good ABT threads going that need to be mapped--JMHO :lol:
I'm too lazy right now :oops:
Maybe tomorrow--80% rain chance :twisted:
TIM

well I use a montary jack cheese but I'll have to try using cream cheese next time

So far my favorite has been cream cheese, brisket, 3 cheese blend & pepper jack. Run the brisket in the blender to really shred it and then mix all of it in the Kitchen Aid.

I really liked Neil's idea (it was Neil, right?) of taking the final smoked turds and running them all through the blender to make a dip out of them. Add chips and serve.

I did my first 'turds' this weekend too. I just kinda winged it.

I mixed together cream cheese, chili powder, cumin, fine chopped onion, grated cheddare cheese and some pace medium picante sauce.

I did the usual stuffing of large fresh jalapenos and wrapping with bacon.

I had a good bit of the cheese mixture left, so added another block of cream cheese to it, and mixed in most of a large filet of salmon I had smoked earlier. I stuffed this into anaheim chile peppers. No bacon on these. I threw these on the bandera for about an hour. Started raining and fired dying..so finished in the oven about 30 min at 375F. I let rest tented with foil to hold in moisture.

I served the smoke salmon relleno's with a velveeta cheese sauce, picante sauce and sour cream.

BOTH of these turned out to be real winners!!

I'm gonna try something with poblanos next time....I like this pepper, but, you gotta watch it. You can't tell if they're gonna be mild or hot each time...hehehe.

cayenne

Had never heard of a fattie......

until I joined this forum a few weeks ago. So, today I purchased a 1 pound package of Jimmy Dean Original sausage. I plan to smoke it sometime over the next 4 days. Now, after following this tread, I have several questions. 1. Is it silly to do just one? (I'm guessing the answer is yes) 2. Do you put a rub on them before smoking? 3. How long does it take to smoke a 1 pounder? 4. Do you shoot for a specific internal temp.? 5. What the heck is the best thing to do with them when they're done?

I'm thinking: 1. Stir into some scrambled eggs with onions, green peppers and a little cheese. 2. Use to flavor a big ol' pot of pinto beans. 3. I saw the ideas above for the ATB's.

What am I missing?

slice it up and eat it plain. and cook several lol.. i can never get mine to the freezer before they are eaten up. you can also stuff the fatty itself with cheeze and jalapeno or any of the above. rub them before u smoke em and cook em to an internal temp of about 170. the 1# chubs take roughly 2-3 hours depending on how hot your smoker is.

I stuff ABT's with----------peanut butter

Last edited by a moderator:
The ways I use smoked fatties; they can be crumbled and used in gravy. They can be crumbled or cubed and are excellent in spagetti sauce. Cubed and used in Texas Chili. Sliced and put on fresh Grands Butter Biscuits with a slice of American cheese (and an egg if you want).

only way for me is keeping the inside of a biscuit company. :)

Check the roadmap.... i think theres a fattie thread in there that gives all kinds of variations.

Back