• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Can this Barrel be used for a Smoker?

Pburke24

Got Wood.
Reaction score
Hey guys, I need some help here. I have been wanting to make a UDS smoker but have had a hard time getting a barrel. My buddy found a barrel on his job site and grabbed it for me. Can you take a look and let me know if this type of barrel can be used. It looks like it was some kind of water sealant. It only cost me a 6 pack of bud light, so if it cant be used its not a big deal. Any help would be much appreciated.

thanks! Paul

Here are the images:

Pic 1
Pic 2

Without seeing the inside, you should be able to use it. I would suggest a good burnout. Your setup will be a little different with the bung on the side of the drum . No big deal though.

Google "sure lift j6wb" and download the MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) and study it. It does not seem to be a dangerous chemical mix (but I did not read the entire thing.)

The other concern is a ining which would have to be removed. Can't tell from the picture.

I'm not sure if the head is an issue or not. Since this is a liquid, I'm guessing the lid is going to have to be cut off.

Awesome thanks for the info! Yea i have to cut the top off, once i do that i should know what the inside will look like. I should be able to get that taken care of this weekend.

Thanks for info guys!

Paul

I would find out what the barrel had in it before, BEFORE you take a spark-generating tool to the top.

VOC: Unscrew the Bung, and wash thoroughly with soap and water.

You can use any barrel short of one that has contained Fusible material. When In Doubt burn it out! Fire purifies all:becky:

According to the material data sheet it is not flammable. If you wash it out use caution because it is a skin irritant, and when you burn it out avoid breathing the smoke until it has a good burn-out.

Try this barrel:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Passion-Natural-Water-Based-Lubricant-Gallon/dp/B005MR3IVO/ref=sr_1_1?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1371056479&sr=1-1&keywords=passion+55+gallon"]Amazon.com: Passion Natural Water-Based Lubricant - 55 Gallon: Health & Personal Care[/ame]

71FMfYjKK5L._SL1322_.jpg

I take all of my barrels to a local sandblaster and have them burnt and blasted. It is $40.00 but worth it IMHO. All I have to do is drill, weld and paint. And I sleep easy at night knowing that it has been completely sanitized.

Get you PVC 2" ball valve and don't drill any holes at the bottom. Wish I had done that with mine.

Back