MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-24-2020, 09:04 AM   #16
Mike Twangzer
is Blowin Smoke!

Perhaps in the living room ?
Mike Twangzer is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 10-24-2020, 10:11 AM   #17
Inthewoods
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Go get a piece of 1-1/8x 4'x8' sheet of cdx, lay it over the deck with the 4' edges breaking on yer joists...as a framer, I would be completely comfortable with that. I would be okay with 3/4 if it was me, but I'm a tad overkill.
As far as putting a wood burning offset on a wooden deck...those are personal choices, but then they require so much looking after...ya know. The one thing I would be looking closely at is the connection at the house and the exterior. They make grill mats, and if I was ta do what yer getting on with, I'd pick one twice the size of the cooker.

-D
Inthewoods is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-24-2020, 10:39 AM   #18
1MoreFord
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Joe

I prefer the garage solution but if you go with the deck please pay attention to the suggestions of an engineer and listen to inthewoods as per the cdx and grill mat.

Falcon MK V gaseous grill w/Grill Grates, OK Joe Longhorn w/ vertical - now gone, Char Griller Akorn, Camp Chef PG24SG, Weber 22" OTG w/SNS components
1MoreFord is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-24-2020, 10:48 AM   #19
tom b
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inthewoods View Post
Go get a piece of 1-1/8x 4'x8' sheet of cdx, lay it over the deck with the 4' edges breaking on yer joists...as a framer, I would be completely comfortable with that. I would be okay with 3/4 if it was me, but I'm a tad overkill.
As far as putting a wood burning offset on a wooden deck...those are personal choices, but then they require so much looking after...ya know. The one thing I would be looking closely at is the connection at the house and the exterior. They make grill mats, and if I was ta do what yer getting on with, I'd pick one twice the size of the cooker.

-D
The plywood is a good idea Dave but I would like to know the joist size, span and spacing also the girder situation

Old 10-24-2020, 10:51 AM   #20
smoke ninja

I would hope a deck 60 ft in the air would be properly built but you never know. inthewoods has a good idea about a sheet to spread out the load. I've been on a deck that collapsed, but only 6 inches off the ground

Old 10-24-2020, 10:53 AM   #21
tom b

speaking of 60' what are the posts or pilasters made of holding this thing up?

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-24-2020, 10:57 AM   #22
Chester
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Chester

Go for it. Any regrets will be short lived...lol
UDS home made and ugly
Weber Genesis II SE 330
Breeo X 24
Chester is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-24-2020, 12:39 PM   #23
Nuco59
Babbling Farker

Contemplating moving a 1200# cooker thru a house to situate it on a back deck that's 60 ft above the ground? Even if your doors could accommodate the size, your floors would live thru it, and your deck was built like Fort Knox....
yeaaaah...
nooooo...

Was me, I'd rethink that. Was one of my kids, I'd try to dissuade them.
But I can't wait to see what you come up with.

good luck... and I mean that.

Old 10-24-2020, 01:22 PM   #24
Inthewoods

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom b View Post
The plywood is a good idea Dave but I would like to know the joist size, span and spacing also the girder situation
Good point. I always assume minimum is 16"oc given the availability of that composite decking and the popularity..I personally frame 12"oc when that's the call-out fer surfacing regardless.

Tom, plenty of 60'+ elevated decks on our lakes...steel pylon, cable brace, wide flange beam/w welded hangers, pocketed @ wall and strapped.

In all honesty OP if yer not in the know of structural construction practice find someone who is...meaning not a beer buddy who was a framer "once".

Anyways best of luck! If ya get a chance ta post some pics, please do! I understand getting pics of the underside of a 60' elevated decks could be... interesting..

-D

Old 10-24-2020, 03:54 PM   #25
4ever3

60’ feet?!?

Fer real?!?

How many stories is yer house?

Cook in the front yard...

Old Oklahoma Joe (Opal)
GMG TREK (Greta Thunberg)
Weber Summit Charcoal (Waylon)
MAK 2 Star (Maybel)

2x “Unfortunately nothing wrong with that” Bob C Que…
I must be living right (somehow…)
4ever3 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 10-24-2020, 03:57 PM   #26
Inthewoods

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ever3 View Post
60’ feet?!?

Fer real?!?

How many stories is yer house?

Cook in the front yard...
Up here...lakeside is a cliff in many cases. Guess who gets ta go up to on the beam fer tie in?? Lol

-D

Old 10-24-2020, 04:02 PM   #27
CivilTrojan
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Chad

I saw a YouTube video of a guy who took his lsg offset cabinet through his home and onto his back deck that was quite high up as he lived in the mountains in Colorado, so it can be done. However, I believe his deck was made of concrete, so fire wasn’t a concern. Good luck with your plans and be safe.
CivilTrojan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-24-2020, 05:36 PM   #28
4ever3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inthewoods View Post
Up here...lakeside is a cliff in many cases. Guess who gets ta go up to on the beam fer tie in?? Lol

-D
I’m sure you do

I’m just tryin to wrap me head around a “ground floor” that’s at street level but the back of the house has a 60’ deck...

That being said, we ain’t talkin Oklahoma are we?

Old Oklahoma Joe (Opal)
GMG TREK (Greta Thunberg)
Weber Summit Charcoal (Waylon)
MAK 2 Star (Maybel)

2x “Unfortunately nothing wrong with that” Bob C Que…
I must be living right (somehow…)
4ever3 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 10-24-2020, 06:00 PM   #29
WeberWho
is one Smokin' Farker

I hate to be a Debbie Downer but I'd be more cautious with a stick burner being on a wooden deck than the actual deck collapsing.

My neighbor lost his house due to him using his Weber kettle on their wooden deck. An ember went flying and lodged between a couple deck boards. The deck ignited long after they've gone to bed. They ended up hearing glass shatter. They thought someone was breaking in. He learned quickly his whole back of the house was on fire. Fortunately he and his family were able to escape. The house ended up burning down to the studs.

I'm not saying this is going to happen but seeing it first hand makes me roll my 1,500lb smoker in and out of the garage. Life would be much easier if I could walk from the kitchen to the deck instead of walking through the living room, down a set of stairs, through the garage, and finally to the smoker. Than I realise that is all I need to do when I think about my family losing everything.

Again hate to be a Debbie Downer but I'd hate to see something happen to you and your house.
WeberWho is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-24-2020, 06:18 PM   #30
WilliamKY
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : William

If you don't have a 60' staircase you are going to be packing split wood through the house. Unless of course you want to keep the wood on the deck too which sounds like a death wish. Personally I wouldn't put the cooker on a deck that high even if it was built on I-beams. Your garage is the safest place IMO.
Weber 26
WGA
Old Smokey Electric.
Go Cards!
WilliamKY is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->