MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-30-2015, 09:42 AM   #1
Fwismoker
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default Cured meats, hot dogs etc... Is it only me?

*** First this isn't meant to discuss the validity of the W.H.O report***

What i'm curious is if anyone on here cut back their intake of cured meats or if anyone is going to be more cognizant of their intake.

I went grocery shopping the other day and opened up the glass door to the hot dogs and brats then shut it without putting any in my shopping cart which is very unusual for me.

Two days now i was going to make a egg and ham breakfast sandwich with packaged cured ham and couldn't get myself to do it....throwing out the packaged ham now.

OK OK before y'all beat me down I'm sure i'll occasionally eat that stuff but I just can't believe the effect that report had on my eating habits. The meat industry has to be pi**ed because you know this will hurt their sales but I also know this will make folks more health conscious.

Visit [COLOR="Red"]OctoForks[/COLOR] in Sales & Ventures

Website & Blog: [url]www.octoforks.com[/url]
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-30-2015, 09:53 AM   #2
16Adams

Yesterday I was at Sam's. Giant hot dogs- Nathan's

Added onion, Jalapeno and green chile. Damn near a veggie dog. I've always preferred the Kosher meats. I'm not of the Jewish faith. More of a Native American baptist Methodist blend.

The bread is probably worse for you than the dog

Last edited by 16Adams; 11-02-2015 at 11:50 AM..
16Adams is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-30-2015, 09:56 AM   #3
Yendor
is one Smokin' Farker

It's just you. Then again our local grocery store started as a meat market so we buy their brats and wieners that are far less processed than the big brands are. There are certain cheap wieners that make me puke as soon as I eat them, it has happened more than once.

Did you stop eating bacon too?

Old 10-30-2015, 09:58 AM   #4
yakdung
is One Chatty Farker

I prefer my brand with a little human DNA:
http://gizmodo.com/stop-freaking-out...ogs-1739285946
yakdung is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-30-2015, 10:00 AM   #5
Fwismoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yendor View Post
It's just you. Then again our local grocery store started as a meat market so we buy their brats and wieners that are far less processed than he big brands are. There are certain cheap wieners that make me puke as soon as I eat them, it has happened more than once.

Did you stop eating bacon too?
I feel better eating my neighborhoods butchers brats so that's not an issue...really referring to the store bought crap. Bacon?.... I've been going light on bacon anyway but occasionally I'll pick up some bacon ends to add flavor to recipes.

Old 10-30-2015, 10:11 AM   #6
MAB52
is one Smokin' Farker

Yeh, we slowed down on the "junk" a few years ago. Since you are starting to pay attention in the meats area, start looking at the ingredients in your other stuff too. Like bread, cheeses, chips, crackers etc etc. It really won't do much good if you stop in the meat area and then "junk" out in the breads and sides. If there is an ingredient in something that we don't know what it is then we look it up on the internet and edjumacate ourselves, it's not that hard and it will make the producers pay more attention to it if we pay more attention to it. You won't believe what they put in some breads as a conditioner.
Weber 22.5"
MAB52 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 10-30-2015, 10:29 AM   #7
JohnnyB
is one Smokin' Farker

It's just like anything else, moderation is key. When they stop flip flopping every other year about how eggs are going to kill us, then I will take them a little more seriously.

Old 10-30-2015, 10:39 AM   #8
Metron
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fwismoker View Post

What i'm curious is if anyone on here cut back their intake of cured meats or if anyone is going to be more cognizant of their intake.
No.

(Extra words to meet minimum.)
Metron is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-30-2015, 10:49 AM   #9
Fwismoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAB52 View Post
Yeh, we slowed down on the "junk" a few years ago. Since you are starting to pay attention in the meats area, start looking at the ingredients in your other stuff too. Like bread, cheeses, chips, crackers etc etc. It really won't do much good if you stop in the meat area and then "junk" out in the breads and sides. If there is an ingredient in something that we don't know what it is then we look it up on the internet and edjumacate ourselves, it's not that hard and it will make the producers pay more attention to it if we pay more attention to it. You won't believe what they put in some breads as a conditioner.
Yes same thing here on the ingredients on stuff...but I need to pay closer attention.

I want to start making my own breads and have cut out things like corn syrup and soda pops etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
It's just like anything else, moderation is key.
Lots of truth to that!

Thanks from: --->
Old 10-30-2015, 10:51 AM   #10
jimmerjammer
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
It's just like anything else, moderation is key. When they stop flip flopping every other year about how eggs are going to kill us, then I will take them a little more seriously.
This!

I'm sifting through someone's debunking of this recent news as we speak. There's always something that's "proven" bad today- and then gets switched soon- then switched back, etc... I don't trust any of this without info...

I'll keep on keeping on the same way, until something definite comes down the pipe from a decent source.
Short answer- No
Long answer- Nnnnnooooooooooooooo!

Jimmy
jimmerjammer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-30-2015, 10:54 AM   #11
landarc

I'm no longer able to eat processed meats due to health issues. Suckage!

Fortunately I make sausage, I will not be denied!

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-30-2015, 10:54 AM   #12
Spudco
Knows what a fatty is.

Having Carbonara for dinner tonight!
Spudco is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-30-2015, 11:00 AM   #13
Free Mr. Tony
is One Chatty Farker

I'd say there are just as many cancer causing particles in the air we breathe as there are in processed meat. I say hold your breath for a few minutes every day, and it should all even out.
Free Mr. Tony is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-30-2015, 11:01 AM   #14
Daggs
is one Smokin' Farker

We eat much more organic and kosher now so a little here and there isn't too bad. The boys won't eat hot dogs but they will eat brats go figure a 3 and almost 2 that don't want hotdogs...
Honestly my bigger concern in the GMO's then anything else. I didn't read any of this stuff about the meat industry only hearsay. We have our own opinions and facts that we will stick with.

Old 10-30-2015, 11:02 AM   #15
Yendor
is one Smokin' Farker

What I find funny are the Stevia users (I know there are some here). It's all natural, right? The highly processed Stevia extract is FDA approved, the whole Stevia plant leaf is not. How does that work? For the record I don't eat anything with fake sugar, and I include Stevia in that statement.