New smoker… what to do with the damper?

sincitydisciple01

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Been cooking on drums for the past 10 years and just made the switch to an American BBQ Systems All Star. So this is my first time cooking offset instead of direct.

I’m completely content knowing it’s going to take some practice to figure it out. But I do have one question right out of the gate. There’s a damper between the firebox and cooking chamber. On the drums, temp control was managed with the vents. What, if any, role does the damper play in temp control? Is there a hard and fast rule of how far to open while cooking?

https://www.americanbarbecuesystems.com/product/all-star/

THANKS!

Attachments

• 7CF737BC-3981-4505-8CA2-84A8B72E0074.jpg
    7CF737BC-3981-4505-8CA2-84A8B72E0074.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 161
  • 077E7EC4-6924-4987-A098-07DCA471F7CB.jpg
    077E7EC4-6924-4987-A098-07DCA471F7CB.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 159
I've seen a few of those in person, one was the Pit Boss model with the rotisserie.
I have always like the design of them.
Good luck, hope it turns out some good Q!
Let us know how it works.

I had one of those.
The damper adjustment will adjust the temperature in the cook chamber. I eventually settled on running it full open. The temp could be adjusted/held with intake dials. I ran exhaust wide open, intake about 1/4 inch open…..not a lot different than you likely did with drums. The baffle seemed to slow the draft.
Hope that helps.

I owned one of those for a couple of years. I ran the damper on the second notch open if that makes sense. If I ran it full open it cooked to uneven on the different levels. Could easily burn things on the lower level if not careful. I ran the side dampers about half open and the dials on top about 1/2 open.

It was a nice smoker and once dialed in I could get it to stay at temp and not have to add any fuel for about 3 hours. I got rid of it because I wanted to go back to stick burning. Ideally I would have liked to keep it and the offset, but I have too many cookers as it is.

Good luck with it!

I owned one of those for a couple of years. I ran the damper on the second notch open if that makes sense. If I ran it full open it cooked to uneven on the different levels. Could easily burn things on the lower level if not careful. I ran the side dampers about half open and the dials on top about 1/2 open.

I noticed there was a bit more char on the bottom of the ribs. That explains it! Thanks!

Back