MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-29-2012, 08:27 PM   #1
Paul D.
Got rid of the matchlight.

Default Fraud alert

FRAUD ALERT....to all my BBQ friends in AZ and FL. We received a letter from Restaurant Depot advising us that ".....unauthorized individuals stole credit and debit card information from the card processing system we use in some of our store". The breach apparently started on November 7th and lasted through December 5, 2012. We received an alert today from Bank of America that two $1200 transactions were attempted at a Target in New York using our card number. Fortunately we have fraud protection on the account. During the above time frame we shopped at Restaurant Depots in both AZ and FL so we are not sure where the breach happened. Just a heads up.....if you shopped at RD in either of these locations during this time check your account activity. UPDATE.....according to the RD facebook page this is a nationwide issue.
Paul D. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-29-2012, 08:55 PM   #2
Hoss
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Thanks for sharing.Unfortunately,we do not have a R.D. close by ,so fortunately I did not shop there. It was a very nice gesture of you to pass this info along though.Thanks.Glad you were protected.I swear nowadays,I think we would all be better off to go back to ALL CASH,ALL THE TIME!
Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-29-2012, 09:22 PM   #3
Eatin Smoke
Full Fledged Farker

Didn't this happen about the same time last year w/ RD? Cash is king for now on when I shop there.
Eatin Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-29-2012, 11:20 PM   #4
mbshop
Babbling Farker

we are using cash more and more now. seems anyone can be hacked.

Old 12-29-2012, 11:33 PM   #5
Callahan-que
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eatin Smoke View Post
Didn't this happen about the same time last year w/ RD? Cash is king for now on when I shop there.
I think I remember hearing the same thing last year as well.

Old 12-29-2012, 11:45 PM   #6
Johnny Ca$h
Full Fledged Farker

There was something on there website about shopping during a said time frame @ specific locations and paying with a credit card but I pay cash so I did not click on it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 12-30-2012, 12:41 AM   #7
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

well, i got hit.

My business account which I use primarily at RD got tagged for 5 transactions on 12/26 in Columbus OH totaling about 700$, including a $1.00 at McDonalds, and 2 in Columbus/Whitehall, OH Targets for $300 and $400. Since August, only transactions i made were from RD.

Card was used extensively during the OBR cooks for Hurricane Sandy with a bunch of trips to RD during the RD timeframes.

so, ..screwed,.... They have leaked our info twice in a year? Really? thanks RD for protecting our stuff! Good Job!

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-30-2012, 01:27 AM   #8
PatioDaddio
Babbling Farker

It's probably a good thing that the KCBS is no longer hooked up with that apparent band of clowns.

John
PatioDaddio is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2012, 01:32 AM   #9
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

My card got hacked there a while back, so I've been using just cash there.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2012, 02:17 AM   #10
Theboz1419
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatioDaddio View Post
It's probably a good thing that the KCBS is no longer hooked up with that apparent band of clowns.

John
KCBS is back to offering the RD promotion. Started last month again.

If you shopped between Sept. and Nov. at RD is the time frame they are saying the credit card machines were hacked.

Editted: Just checked my Account to see if I shopped there during that time frame and was lucky, I was there in Aug.

Old 12-30-2012, 08:36 AM   #11
Wampus

DAYUM!

I was there during those time periods a LOT.
Was planning to go back today too.

I don't have a CC, but do have a DEBIT card, which they can still hack the same way I'm sure.

This sucks. I'll have to check it out.

With such a big outfit as RD, how in the HECK can this happen not only once, but TWICE in such a short time?!

Old 12-30-2012, 08:53 AM   #12
Bludawg

Funny how Cash never has that problem Credit Cards are the devil spawn.Never had or desired to have one Never will If I can't pay cash fer it I don't need it.

Old 12-30-2012, 09:15 AM   #13
eggzlot
Take a breath!

man that is crazy - 2x in basically a year. I use cash there 99% of the time. I just checked my cards, I have 1 charge this year at RD, but luckily in August, so I guess I'm likely ok. But now its 100% cash or nothing at RD - this is rather pathetic if you ask me. Such a large company to have this happen twice in such a short time frame.
eggzlot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2012, 10:33 AM   #14
Paul D.
Got rid of the matchlight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQchef33 View Post
well, i got hit.

My business account which I use primarily at RD got tagged for 5 transactions on 12/26 in Columbus OH totaling about 700$, including a $1.00 at McDonalds, and 2 in Columbus/Whitehall, OH Targets for $300 and $400. Since August, only transactions i made were from RD.

Card was used extensively during the OBR cooks for Hurricane Sandy with a bunch of trips to RD during the RD timeframes.

so, ..screwed,.... They have leaked our info twice in a year? Really? thanks RD for protecting our stuff! Good Job!
We got hit for two $1200 transactions from a Target in NY.....we shopped at stores in FL and AZ. Thankfully B of A caught it and notified us. We had already notified them and flagged the account. This is the second time in the last year........I agree......cash only moving forward at RD.
Paul D. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2012, 12:16 PM   #15
hav
is one Smokin' Farker

This is unacceptable. It happened twice? Last year it happened to me as well. I haven't been there since the summer though. It has to be an inside job. I know the RD by me in College Point gives me no sense of security. Cash it is I guess.
14" Table Top Kettle Grill; Turkey Fryer; [B][I][COLOR=red]Rapid-Fire-Red[/COLOR][/I][/B] Thermapen!; [COLOR="SeaGreen"][B][I]Mini, Small, Medium & Large BGE![/I][/B][/COLOR]
hav is offline   Reply With Quote