MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 12-13-2019, 09:31 AM   #1
manmeatbbq
Knows what a fatty is.

Default 2019 kcbs toy

So, KCBS sent out an email this morning for the TOY banquet in January. There has been information in the News section of the website about TOY payouts. However, what caught my attention in the email is that they are providing trophies to the top 5 in the overall and in each category. If you finished 6th through 25th in the TOY, you get a certificate and a check. A certificate?

I get that we as an association haven't managed the funds appropriately, but couldn't even get ribbons at a minimum for TOY? I bet this will have an impact on the number of teams that show up for the banquet. An expensive dinner to show up for a piece of paper.
manmeatbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-13-2019, 10:41 AM   #2
gettinbasted
is One Chatty Farker

They cut the payouts again too. I’m thinking about chasing again next year, in the SLBS!

2 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from: --->
Old 12-13-2019, 10:49 AM   #3
midwest_kc
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Joel

Wow. We have been for the dinner the last 2 years, initially for our perfect perfect pin, and last year just because. This year I have another, even more expensive dinner to attend that night, so I won't be going, but I would imagine that anyone looking at coming in from out of town is pretty upset right now.

Old 12-13-2019, 11:50 AM   #4
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

They used to give out awards for the top 20, but the website listed the top 25. We ended up 21st in brisket and got nothing. They changed it to the top 25 the next year

WATCH THIS SPACE!!! BBQ Brethren Chicago Area Picnic Planning Starting Soon

Naked Fatties Rock!

4x Hunsaker Cans/PK360 X 2/Campchef FTG600/Southern Q Limo Elite/FEC-100/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Good-One Model 42/WSM/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/BS Pizza Oven
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-13-2019, 01:18 PM   #5
manmeatbbq
Knows what a fatty is.

I think I am going to put a picture of my 11th place overall certificate on my sauce when we release it. It is going to look awesome on the label of that bottle. To Brad's point, might start seeing people chase points in the other associations.

Old 12-13-2019, 01:56 PM   #6
DUBBAGA
is Blowin Smoke!

Humphrey's Long Weekender, UDS, Red Box Smoker, SJS/Tamale Pot Smoker, Weber Performer, Weber 18.5 OTS, Alton Brown Flower Pot Smoker (died), Blue Ember Gasser (died}

Member of the Hall of Zero's (Noobians v. Veterans Throwdown)
DUBBAGA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-16-2019, 11:06 AM   #7
tduffy
is One Chatty Farker

I don't have a dog in this fight as I only cooked 13 comps this year and my highest category in TOY points is 57th but I voiced my opinion on the change. It is(or was) my goal to cook enough at some point to contend for top 25 spots. Doubt I'll hear anything back though.

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-08-2020, 10:53 AM   #8
Untraceable
Babbling Farker

who do we email to protest results?
Untraceable is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-2020, 11:01 AM   #9
midwest_kc
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Joel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Untraceable View Post
What results? Are you contending you finished higher than they say you did?

Old 01-08-2020, 04:31 PM   #10
Untraceable
Babbling Farker

Do they award per region or do foreign contests count towards the overall categories.

If you compete in 7 KCBS recognized contests but only 5 award TOY points, are you still a 5 and under team

Those would be my two questions
Untraceable is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-2020, 05:58 PM   #11
who cares
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Foreign contest count in the overall. TOY is based on your 10 best contest. If you cook 5 then the 5 and under is where you would be. If you cooked 7 you would be in the 10 and under. We cooked 18 this year our 10 best was good enough for 24th overall.

Old 01-09-2020, 08:08 AM   #12
Funtimebbq
Full Fledged Farker

If two of those "KCBS recognized" contests were classified as competitor series events then only 5 contests would count towards TOY. Please remember, team count or lack of the 15/25 teams is not a disqualifying factor for TOY points. That only effects whether the contest is a JD or AmRoyal qualifier.
Funtimebbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2020, 09:21 AM   #13
manmeatbbq
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Untraceable View Post
If you want to protest results or lack of points, then that would want to email Karrin Murphy (toy@kcbs.us) at the KCBS office. However, the deadline for protesting the 2019 results have already passed (November 30th). There was a notice sent out (November 13th) on their Facebook page alerting teams to check your points and let them know if there are any discrepancies. It may not help this year, but something to keep in mind going forward.

Old 01-09-2020, 03:03 PM   #14
BoneDaddy's
Take a breath!

I will preface this by saying we only cook a few events a year and will never be tops in anything! OK, here it goes, who cares if you get a certificate or a ribbon! I assume you have enough ribbons if you are that good. There are plenty of things to hammer kcbs on, but ribbons v certificate...really!

Old 01-09-2020, 04:42 PM   #15
gettinbasted
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDaddy's View Post
I will preface this by saying we only cook a few events a year and will never be tops in anything! OK, here it goes, who cares if you get a certificate or a ribbon! I assume you have enough ribbons if you are that good. There are plenty of things to hammer kcbs on, but ribbons v certificate...really!
Well, we sure as hell aren’t in it for the money!