MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-30-2012, 07:55 PM   #16
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by centexsmoker View Post
Maybe I'm missing something but I've done hundreds of briskets and I've never cooked one at 30 minutes per at those temps. how do you get them done so fast?
I've cooked enough Brisket to break the springs on a Mack truck. I think the difference is where your measuring the cooking temp. I cook at 300 on the grate not 300 pit temp. the times run 30-45 min lb. Pit temp of 300 is usually about 250-275 on the grate there in lies the time difference of an 1hr + lb.

Old 12-30-2012, 08:27 PM   #17
centexsmoker
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : John

whaaaaa????you guys on here actually measure temp where you cook? Straight up genius

I do that too. Still don't get 30 min per lb at 300
centexsmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2012, 08:30 PM   #18
centexsmoker
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : John

ah- you crutch it. I don't do that. There's our diff.
centexsmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2012, 10:35 PM   #19
HogFan
is one Smokin' Farker

Decided to start it tonight. On at 9:30 PM at 250F. I'll likely wrap in BP in the morning before going to work. I'll check the progress at noon tomorrow and adjust temps if needed.

Thanks for the feedback.

Oh, I used the Mountain Man Bourbon rub from Cabelas........hope it turns out goog!

Old 12-31-2012, 07:08 PM   #20
HogFan
is one Smokin' Farker

UDS ran out of charcoal sometime between 2:30-3:00 this afternoon. I got home at 3:30 and the temp had dropped down to 175F. Brisket temp was 168F.

I refueled, brought the temp up to 350F and pulled the brisket at 5:45 at 202F. Wrapped and straight in the cooler. Will open and slice between 7:30-8:00. Wish me luck!

Old 01-01-2013, 08:57 AM   #21
HankB
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by centexsmoker View Post
whaaaaa????you guys on here actually measure temp where you cook? Straight up genius
I do that too. Still don't get 30 min per lb at 300
That foil pan will also slow things down because it will block heat from your coals. I'm sure different smokers, techniques, measurement points and so on will make a huge difference in results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogFan View Post
I refueled, brought the temp up to 350F and pulled the brisket at 5:45 at 202F. Wrapped and straight in the cooler. Will open and slice between 7:30-8:00. Wish me luck!
Good luck! I'm sure it will be great.
HankB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-01-2013, 10:01 AM   #22
Smoking Westy
is one Smokin' Farker

So how did it turn out?

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-01-2013, 05:23 PM   #23
HogFan
is one Smokin' Farker

The brisket was great!!! Probably overlooked by competition standards but perfect for a NYE gathering.

The Mountain Man Bourbon rub is good. I'll apply it heavier next time as the taste on the bark was subtle. I missed the kick of the lemon/citrus taste of Peppered Cow rub in the bark....,..but MMB may improve if applied heavier. It has a nice flavor.

Leftovers for lunch today.......toasted hoagie bun, Swiss cheese, tomato, and a thick slice of tender brisket! I love tomato with brisket.

Tomorrow, the diet starts! <smile>

Old 01-01-2013, 09:35 PM   #24
LoneStarMojo
is one Smokin' Farker

Congrats on the cook! And to the cook!
cuz it's not the end..."

Modified Char-Griller / Whalen 37.5" King Kettle [url]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=108709[/url] / Very near future UDS & 6' x 37" 325 gallon offset projects.
LoneStarMojo is offline   Reply With Quote