MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-31-2017, 10:46 PM   #1
Blue Kettle
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : TK
Default Carving knife suggestions

Am looking to purchase a better carving knife to replace the "forever sharp" knife I bought at Sams years ago. Was curious what you all used and specifically anything that wouldn't completely break the bank.
Blue Kettle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-31-2017, 11:03 PM   #2
Beentown
is One Chatty Farker

The Victornox is a great value.

https://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Sl.../dp/B001DB9JPM
SDG 26' Concession rig, Weber 22.5" x 3, RecTeq1250, UDS with IQ 110, Shirley Fabrication Cabinet Model 24x60 trailer, LS Grillz Large IVS w/offroad package (on the way), Humphreys Q'bed Pint, Assassin 48
Beentown is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-31-2017, 11:10 PM   #3
Joshw
Babbling Farker

^^^
Victorinox is the best value knife on the market. Fdick, Mundail, and Mercer are some other descent knives, that won't break the bank. Nothing fancy, but they get the job done.
Joshw is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-31-2017, 11:10 PM   #4
grisch
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : LG

Agree w beentown victorinix is an excellent choice for the $s
grisch is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-01-2018, 07:57 AM   #5
sniperfx
Full Fledged Farker

Wustoff has my likes.

Old 01-01-2018, 08:41 AM   #6
SMetroHawkeye
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Hawkeye

Victorinox for the money is a great value. High quality and almost bombproof. I am a Wustoff guy... if you shop the sales right, you can find the knives you need at a discount. My knives will be used by my kids kids for certain... bought them once, and as long as I take care of them, will definitely outlast me.

Old 01-01-2018, 09:10 AM   #7
wahoowad
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : PookieBoo

Holy cow. I know nice things cost money, and I got some toys that the cost would shock some people so I guess I get it, so maybe I'm just not a guy who appreciates expensive knives.

I have several 20 year old kitchen knives, the kind you get in a set for like $45 for a wedding gift before some big discount also taken off the top at a big box store. They have cut everything I ask them to cut and all I do is hit them with a little $4 ceramic draw sharpener every few times I use them. They slice ribs, brisket, thin slices of tomatoes, and all my veggies just fine. I have a Chef's Choice electric sharpener but I swear I only dig that thing out and sharpen something every few years at most. My point...my lowly opinion...is that high end knives don't produce appreciably better for the tremendous increase in price they demand.

That said, it's also fun to buy new stuff for a hobby that makes you feel good. So even though I have fully functional older knives I bought this 11-inch slicer for $15.75 (think it was on sale). After using it a few times I realize my other slicers cut just as good but it's still become my g0-to knife when cutting into a freshly smoked rib roast or brisket.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
wahoowad is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-01-2018, 09:13 AM   #8
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

My personal preference has always been Wustoff, but last year I bought some Dexter-Russell Sani-Safe knives from a local restaurant supply store for my helpers.

I had forgot to bring my knife set and was forced to use the extra set of Dexter-Russell knives. I have to say I was not only impressed by the feel and the balance of the knives, but I also left the event thinking that maybe I bought paid too much for my Wustoff knives when compared to Dexter-Russell.

I'm not saying Wustoff is inferior in any manner; I love my Wustoff knives, but when compared to the Commercial Kitchen Dexter-Russell and Mercer knives, for the price they are an exceptional bargain for a quality knife.

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/sea...on-slicer.html

Last edited by IamMadMan; 01-01-2018 at 09:31 AM..
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-01-2018, 09:20 AM   #9
Beentown
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamMadMan View Post
My personal preference has always been Wustoff, but last year I bought some Dexter-Russell Sani-Safe knives from a restaurant supply store for my helpers.

I had forgot to bring my knife set and was forced to use the extra set of Dexter-Russell knives. I have to say I was not only impressed by the feel and the balance of the knives, but I also left the event thinking that maybe I bought paid too much for my Wustoff knives when compared to Dexter-Russell.

I'm not say Wustoff is inferior in any manner; I love my Wustoff knives, but when compared to the Commercial Kitchen Dexter-Russell knives, for the price they are an exceptional bargain for a quality knife.
I like the Dexters, especially the price. Just need sharpened more often.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
SDG 26' Concession rig, Weber 22.5" x 3, RecTeq1250, UDS with IQ 110, Shirley Fabrication Cabinet Model 24x60 trailer, LS Grillz Large IVS w/offroad package (on the way), Humphreys Q'bed Pint, Assassin 48
Beentown is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-01-2018, 09:38 AM   #10
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

I have the Victorinox cimeter, and slicer. For a combination slicer I have a Messermeister Park Plaza with reverse scallop. I have a variety of fillet knives that i could not live without.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-01-2018, 09:41 AM   #11
MeatyOakerSmoker
is One Chatty Farker

Love my Victorinox knives. Maybe more so than my Shuns. I was looking at a breaking knife or cimeter so I once again did a little bit of research and after some looking around and reading a lot of reviews I once again landed on a Victorinox.
18.5" WSM (Model #2820)
UDS
La Caja China
COS - Oklahoma Joe Highlander
Lang 48 Patio
Grilla Silverbac Original
Formerly known as IbrahimSS
MeatyOakerSmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-01-2018, 09:50 AM   #12
Ag76
is One Chatty Farker

https://www.amazon.com/Dexter-13463-...t+Slicer+Knife

Lyfe Tyme - 16" x 40" Single Lid With Firebox

3 Weber Kettles

2 WSMs
Ag76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-01-2018, 10:52 AM   #13
Ronwig
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Bama Ron

Mercer makes good knives at a reasonable price..
Ronwig is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-01-2018, 10:53 AM   #14
Blue Kettle
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : TK

Lots of great suggestions. Thanks to all.
Blue Kettle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-01-2018, 12:12 PM   #15
Clay-b-que
is One Chatty Farker

Gor the Victorinox for Christmas and it is awesome! Would highly recommend it and it should last a really long time.