First Competition Visit

smokin smitty

Reaction score
Hello All, just want to say this is a great forum. I am very new and green to bbqing as well as competition cooking. But slowly and surely I am starting to produce some decent bbq. I olny have a Brinkman vertial smoker, but upgrading real soon to an offset reverse flow (Lang style) smoker. Should be within the next month or so.
Anyway, I visited my first competition in Jesup, GA yesterday, and it was a real experience. Tasted some really good bbq and well as met some extremely nice people. Just have a few questions that I thought I would post:

1) What do competitors do about water?

2) If you do not have a camper, where do you sleep at night?

3) Did not see any bathroom facilities. How does that work?

Thanks for your feedback.

Most competition sites have running water available. If not the organizer will typically bring in a water truck. Sometimes the water is close enough that you can run a hose, other times you have to hike to get it.

Anywhere you can :-D We sleep inside of our trailer (cargo trailer). Others set up tents and sill others just sleep in a chair.

There should have been porta-potties at least. Some comps have indoor facilities with running water, but there is always banks of porta-potties.

Most competition sites have running water available. If not the organizer will typically bring in a water truck. Sometimes the water is close enough that you can run a hose, other times you have to hike to get it.
We bring large water jugs. Not all of our area comps have water handy. I can get through the weekend with about 12 gallons. Fill up a 5 gallon 5 day cooler with really hot water and it'll stay hot for 24 hrs or so. I usually add a pot of boiling water on the 2nd day.

Anywhere you can :-D We sleep inside of our trailer (cargo trailer). Others set up tents and sill others just sleep in a chair.
Ditto

There should have been porta-potties at least. Some comps have indoor facilities with running water, but there is always banks of porta-potties.
Ditto

See remarks in red

Nothing beats a cold night sleeping for 10 minutes at a time in a chair and a sky full of blue smoke.

Every one has they're own way of dealing with things...
We normally bring two 5-gallon containers to fill up at the site. We also bring about 50 feet of hose if the supply is closer. Along with the hose, we bring a couple of splitters and spray tip.

We also don't have a camper. We set up a single cot and take turns crashing during the night. This way we always have two people up to man the cooker.

As Ron said, there are always banks of 'Port-A-John'. Some venues do have indoor toilets and some even offer showers.

We're cheap. I save the milk jugs for a few weeks then fill them and transport them
in... For us, about 15 gallons, but we use only 10-12 of them. For hot water, I bring
a coleman stove...

Sleep? We dont SLEEP!!! Normally we pass out face-first in the dirt about 6pm
on Saturday... Pretty much where ever we're standing will do.

Back