Boneless leg of lamb

chambersuac

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Someone brought a boneless leg of lamb to me. I don't want upset my Smokin' Austrailian friend, but I have NEVER cooked lamb before. I'm looking for cooking suggestions. I'd like to smoke it with Simply Marvelous Peach...but since that doesn't exist, I'm thinking of Simply Marvelous Cherry or Apple. Suggestions?

Also, temperature (smoker and internal) times?

Thanks. I'd search, but know that I might get info overload that way - and I'm at a conference getting too much info anyway.

Dan, I love lamb and was the first to receive Bill's Aussi Lamb Farker award.

I'm not an expert but IMO nothing beats rosemary and garlic. I usually slice garlig into small pieces and then make slits in the meat and insert the garlic. Then rub with rosemary and oil. Cook low and slow like beef. I usually pull mine at 135 for a nice med rare. Wrap in foil and towels to rest, about a half hour. I can't wait any longer than that.

Wood to use is your choice, I like hickory.

Good luck.

I'd like to smoke it with Simply Marvelous Peach...but since that doesn't exist, I'm thinking of Simply Marvelous Cherry or Apple.

MAN.....you are nothing if not consistent!!!:laugh:
Don't give up Dan!!!!
Ask (or in your case....KEEP asking) and it shall be given to you!!!!!

Never eaten or cooked lamb. No clue.
Came here because I thought this was a PRON post.

Dan,

FWIW, I really love this lamb recipe...
This is actually from Bill and Cheryl Jamison's Smoke & Spice, just to give credit where credit is due.

You need a 5-6 pound boned leg of lamb to start. You can have your butcher do the job, or do it yourself, depending on how confident you are in your knife skills. (I realize yours is already boned, but figured I'd still mention it)

The night before you plan to cook it, make a paste in either a mortar and pestle, or food processor. Paste is made with 10 cloves of garlic, 2 tsp. kosher or sea salt, and 1 1/2 Tbsp. good olive oil. Rub the paste lightly all over the lamb, thetn put it in a plastic bag and let it marinate overnight.

The next day, when ready to cook, start your cooker, prepping to a temp of between 200-250.
Remove the meat from the refrigerator, and let sit about 30 minutes. This should be long enough to make the stuffing.

The stuffing is made by lightly sauteing 1/2 medium (or 1 small) onion and 2 minced cloves of garlic in about 1 1/2 tbsp good olive oil. Once the onions and garlic are soft, add 1/3 cups pine nuts (or chopped walnuts) and continue to cook another minute or so. Then spoon into a bowl.

Now add 1 1/2 pounds cooked, drained, and chopped spinach (I substitute 2 1 lb. boxes frozen chopped spinach, sqeezed of excess moisture). to that, add 8 oz. mild goat cheese (or Feta),1/3 cup fresh chopped parsley, 1/4 cup dried chopped currants or raisins (optional) and 1 tsp anchovy paste (optional, but highly recommended.)

Spread the mixture evenly over the inside of your butterflied leg of lamb, then carefully roll from one of the long sides and tie the roast securely, diong your best to assure all the suffing is inside.

There is an optional mop to this recipe, but I've left it off as I find it isn't nescessary.

Now, in a large skillet, sear the lamb quickly on all sides, then pop it into your smoker. Cook 35 to 40 minutes per pound until internal temp is about 140-145 for rare/med rare, 145-155 for medium.

Remove and rest 15 to 30 minutes in foil.
Remove string, slice, and enjoy!

Given your shoes, I would hit that with The RUB Company Santa Maria and finish with the SM cherry for a little something special.

i want some of that SM Peach! DOH!

seriously.... i use salt and pepper, garlic and rosemary.

I like to both stuff them and sometimes not.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=626840&catid=1

Lamb, Leg, Boneless, Stuffed, Richard Fl
Recipe39652.JPG
INGREDIENTS:
1 3 1/2-5 Lbs Boneless Leg of Lamb
5-6 Pieces Bacon
Salt/Pepper to taste
2-3 Twigs Fresh Rosemary
Stuffing
1 Pkg Spinach
Garlic, Minced
Olive Oil
Ricotta or Cottage Cheese
Capicola sliced thinly
Mango Chutney
Pignole nuts
2-4 Pieces Apple or Guava Wood for smoking

Marinade
1 cup Italian Salad Dressing
4-6 Cloves Garlic, Whole
1/3 cup Sweet or Red Onion,
Diced 1/3 cup Rosemary, Fresh Leaves
1 Tbs Black Pepper, Fresh Ground
1 pinch Sea Salt
1/4 cup Balsamic Vinegar
1 Lemon, Juice
Fresh Mint leaves, ( Optional )
1/4 cup Soy Sauce, ( Optional )
Preparation:
1Insert several pieces of whole garlic into the exterior of the meat. Marinate the leg of lamb 4-6 hours in the refrigerator. Never more than 24 hours as the lemon juice will cook the meat and make it tough when cooked.2
Recipe39652-1.JPG
Sauté the spinach with minced garlic in olive oil., drain and press liquid out.3
Recipe39652-2.JPG
In the open pocket layer the various ingredients, cheese on bottom, pignole nuts, mango chutney, spinach, capicola.4Tie with 4-5 pieces of butcher twine. Place in a "V" rack and layer the bacon on top. Add the rosemary twigs on top of the bacon.Cooking:1
Recipe39652-3.JPG
Get BGE set up indirect, plate setter legs up, drip pan, 350°F. Add smoking wood2
Recipe39652-4.jpg
Cook for 1 1/2 -2 hours, looking for an internal temperature of 140°F3Let rest 15-20 minutes as the temperature will creep up 5°F or so.MarinadePreparation:1Place all in blender and puree. Place meat in ziploc bag and marinate for 4-6 hours, overnight is OK but be careful after 12 hours as the lemon juice has a tendency to "COOK" the meat.2This works well for lamb kabobs, legs, rack or shoulders and shanks.3Soy sauce may be added for optional flavor.,4If doing shanks, like to cut into 1 1/2-2 inch pieces as this tends to reduce the cooking time.5Save the rosemary twigs for smoke! Recipe TypeMain Dish, Meat Recipe SourceSource: BGE Forum, Richard Fl, 2007/08/31

Wow, thanks everyone. Since I don't want to go to the store, I'm going with what I have on hand...taking BBS's suggestion and using the RUB Co. Santa Maria rub and Cherry SM. I am keeping the other suggestions for another time. Thanks again. Oh, and I'll know it's done because of my Brethren-gifted ORANGE Thermapen!

I love this place. I bet I could ask how to best cook dog turds and someone would know. I HOPE not...but you guys know EVERYTHING else. :) LOL

Chambers! Soon, you my son will be a Lamb Virgin no more!

Lots of great advice here, so all I have to add is this.

1. Keep the rub simple. If you use a commercial rub, Todds Dirt (original) cries out for Lamb. Simply Marvellous Pecan is also perfect. My go to for simplicity is Cracked Black Pepper and Celery Salt. Thats your dead simple starter. From there you can choose to add your garlic, oregano, rosemary, lemon etc... but always start with those 2 and sometimes just leave it at that.

2. Q at 275 to 325F depending on how much time you've got. Use OAK or Pecan wood to smoke

3. Pull at 135 internal for rare. 145 int for medium. Rest for min 30 mins in a towel and a cooler.

That's about it! Good luck with the cook. Cant wait to see the results!

Cheers!

Bill

Back