Nashville-ish Hot Chicken Sammich

ssv3

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Nashville hot chicken or Nashville style hot chicken is YUUUGE here. Plenty of hot chicken restaurants have popped up in the recent years including one in Hollywood called Dave's Hot Chicken that has a freaking two hour wait at times to get in. I have a hot chicken sammich regularly throughout L.A. so I decided to give it a try and make my own.

Started with a whole chicken (or two)

Yv1pP8ih.jpg

Separated

L3iuYdAh.jpg

Made stock with the carcasses for later use

2GEQVLqh.jpg

Grilled everything but the breasts the night prior

jEBDsreh.jpg

Oh yeah!

5lEUxXMh.jpg

Next day I made a spicy buttermilk marinade :heh: Spicy is an understatement

44nNtG1h.jpg

Into the fridge for about 8 hours

NWQwgoqh.jpg

After marination

W7hUTMJh.jpg

Into a hot flour dredge. I went light on the dredge

d7Renkoh.jpg

Indirect on the kettle for some smoke until about 130*

Ni7tkimh.jpg

After that into the CI pan

w83p5Byh.jpg

Oh yessssss!!!!

yrLvK7Zh.jpg

In the meantime made an even crazier hot glaze for the chicken with butter, clarified butter and the below rubs/spices. Did I mention spicy or hot was an understatement :clap2::clap2:

z43zDbQh.jpg

Xcr40FAh.jpg

Chicken breasts done

VoNYw3Yh.jpg

Glazed them next

8t6MbcXh.jpg

If that wasn't hot enough I added some of this my buddy brought back from a visit to Ohio :crazy::twisted:

f7iPYvNh.jpg

Served with home made fries and a cold one. Even the slaw had jalapenos and a habanero in there :becky:

K3w8iAmh.jpg

SH7PC6Vh.jpg

Needless to say hot, delicious and most importantly moist

84qVoxVh.jpg

While it was spicy the heat was gradual and very pleasant. Again, very hot but very well balanced. Def keeping my recipe.

i1GRoj0h.jpg

Thanks for looking!!

WOW that looks amazing. For the marrinade you just added the hot sauce and spices right to the buttermilk and refrigerated it. I gotta try that.

WOW that looks amazing. For the marrinade you just added the hot sauce and spices right to the buttermilk and refrigerated it. I gotta try that.

Thanks Stomper. Exactly.

uvrAoXHh.jpg

Great take on Hot chicken!! I'll take one, with an egg on it..

Yikes!

You and Adams must have iron stomachs! It looks good and I do like spicy but I think this goes beyond "spicy"!

I have half a notion to show this to my oncologist and ask if this is okay... :becky: !

Great cook brother, you always amaze me!

From the knife skills and the stock to the finished product. What's not to like about this post?

Sako, you're a God among mere mortals!

That looks amazing.

One tip that I have recently discovered when it comes to stuff like this and/or chicken tenders. When you have your flour dredge, drizzle some of your buttermilk marinade in there and stir it with a fork. You'll create some big lumps of flour dredge/paste. Those lumps will become the big crunchy pieces that you find on most chicken tenders from a restaurant, etc.

I love me some fried chicken, and I love hot chicken. I wouldn't be able to do this since the wife/kiddo wouldn't eat it that spicy, but looks awesome!

Looks great Sako. <starts deleting pictures of not so hot chicken from iPhone> Yep, just great...

Niiiiiiice! Though that spicy would probably kill me due to my acid reflux! It’s a real drag sometimes as I also love the Eastern Carolina vinegar sauce with pulled pork but can’t really do that either :cry:

Now that looks great! I'm not worried about some heat going down. The heat on the following day however...that's the bad part

That looks very flavorful and tasty! Way to go! :clap2:

Back