MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Brethren Road Trips

Notices

Brethren Road Trips The travel logs of our members. Q- joints, restaurants, entertainment, reviews while we travel around the 50 states. Also, Post here for a shout out to members to meet up with while on the road.

Old 03-03-2019, 08:36 PM   #1
mattdean1003
On the road to being a farker

Default Jacks Old South BBQ restaurant. PSA

If Myron Mixon reads this forum he's not gonna like me after reading this post.

I haven't felt well all week, and ended up taking Friday off to fully recover and get over this little stomach bug I'd dealt with the past few days. Saturday we got up, I was feeling tons better, so we made a day out of Saturday; got some stuff for the baby, went by Micro Center to get some much needed computer upgrades for myself, but before that, we stopped in at Jacks Old South in Braselton for some pulled pork plates.

We walked in, saw the old school atmosphere, smelled absolutely mouthwatering BBQ and we both thought "Hey, this is going to be GREAT...it smells wonderful in here."

Never, have I ever, in my entire life, been more wrong about anything.

The fries and their hickory BBQ sauce were the best things on the plate. The pork had a MINISCULE amount of bark, a HINT of a smoke ring, and absolutely no flavor, what so ever. The meat was gray. GRAY. Chunky. Tender, yes. About what you'd pour out of a can off the shelf of BBQ pork. Myron Mixon might be winning awards as a judge and such, and hell he just may read this board, but that was without a doubt the worst excuse for BBQ I've ever had. Now, he did something right with the sauce; the hickory sauce is great. But the pulled pork? It seriously tasted as if it had an hour of smoke then was boiled in a crock pot.

Sorry if I'm a little harsh, but that's just the way it was.

Feedback?
mattdean1003 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-03-2019, 08:44 PM   #2
Jason TQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

I know where it is and I don't think Myron does much other than franchise out his name to make money off it. I don't think he has anything to do with it or even know it is still there
Old 03-04-2019, 06:55 AM   #3
Hotch
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Hotch

Didn't the Florida location have the same reviews before it had the crash?
The Atlanta food critic agrees with you, 2 years ago!

http://atlanta-food-critic.com/2016/...orth-gwinnett/

The 2024 Texas BBQ Brethren Spring Bash Invite Post (Link)

The 2024 Texas BBQ Brethren Spring Bash Planning Thread! (Link)

Hotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 06:59 AM   #4
IamMadMan

I've been to many BBQ restaurants only to be disappointed time after time and never return due to the disappointments. I've eaten at close to 70 different Major BBQ Restaurants, but can count the good ones on one hand with extra digits remaining. Truly good BBQ must be somewhere between rare and non-existent.

Even the rubbish served by the national or chain restaurants is deplorable at best. Soaked in sauce to mask the true flavor of the meat which is mush because it lacks any type of texture.

As far as your experience, I can't comment because I have not been there. I would agree with Jason TQ, the fact that he is connected in Name only and probably just receives residuals. But again we are just speculating because we have no first hand knowledge of the business.

My only advice is what I would recommend with any restaurant; If you don't like the food, let the staff at the front of the house know. If you walk out without saying anything, your disappointment remains unchecked.

If the meal was so disappointing, simply don't return. After all it is your hard earned money and you are free to spend it when and where you wish.
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 07:01 AM   #5
Hotch
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Hotch

Did you see a stack of wood or a smoker somewhere?

The 2024 Texas BBQ Brethren Spring Bash Invite Post (Link)

The 2024 Texas BBQ Brethren Spring Bash Planning Thread! (Link)

Hotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 07:35 AM   #6
16Adams

The Texas Trinity- Brisket Ribs Sausage ****beef Ribs
The “others”- chicken pork shoulder

No sauce served on smoked meats at Tyler’s-EvieMaes-Cattleack-Pecan Lodge-Top Notch-Rudy’s. It’s available, your decision to apply or not.

IMHO Sausage-Sides and desserts limit disappointment in most BBQ Restaurants. . I (we) cook enough of The Trinity and chicken to seldom ponder eating it out. My wife’s favorite Q Restaurant dessert is the marshmallow rice crispy bar from Rudys.

When you read bbq reviews from the pros and general public pulled pork gets beat up pretty bad. Taste texture seasoning appearance- yep pretty beat up.

Sorry y’all had a bad experience.

Sausage sides and a kiss of mesquite.

Last edited by 16Adams; 03-04-2019 at 07:52 AM..
16Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 07:38 AM   #7
smoke ninja

The fact that they had French fries should have been a dead giveaway.

Never trust a Q joint with deep fryers
Old 03-04-2019, 10:07 AM   #8
eap0510
Full Fledged Farker

This review does not surprise me in the least. It has always been my experience that restaurants cannot produce good BBQ so instead they make a decent sauce then drown the meat in the sauce.
I have always said that to be a successful BBQ restaurant all you need is a decent sauce for the general population only wants to taste sauce when they eat BBQ.
Old 03-04-2019, 10:17 AM   #9
1MoreFord
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason TQ View Post
I know where it is and I don't think Myron does much other than franchise out his name to make money off it. I don't think he has anything to do with it or even know it is still there
Yup, appears Myron has no remaining ownership.

http://jacksoldsouth1.com/about.html

Falcon MK V gaseous grill w/Grill Grates, OK Joe Longhorn w/ vertical - now gone, Char Griller Akorn, Camp Chef PG24SG, Weber 22" OTG w/SNS components
1MoreFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 11:03 AM   #10
Demosthenes
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattdean1003 View Post
If Myron Mixon reads this forum he's not gonna like me after reading this post.

I haven't felt well all week, and ended up taking Friday off to fully recover and get over this little stomach bug I'd dealt with the past few days. Saturday we got up, I was feeling tons better, so we made a day out of Saturday; got some stuff for the baby, went by Micro Center to get some much needed computer upgrades for myself, but before that, we stopped in at Jacks Old South in Braselton for some pulled pork plates.

We walked in, saw the old school atmosphere, smelled absolutely mouthwatering BBQ and we both thought "Hey, this is going to be GREAT...it smells wonderful in here."

Never, have I ever, in my entire life, been more wrong about anything.

The fries and their hickory BBQ sauce were the best things on the plate. The pork had a MINISCULE amount of bark, a HINT of a smoke ring, and absolutely no flavor, what so ever. The meat was gray. GRAY. Chunky. Tender, yes. About what you'd pour out of a can off the shelf of BBQ pork. Myron Mixon might be winning awards as a judge and such, and hell he just may read this board, but that was without a doubt the worst excuse for BBQ I've ever had. Now, he did something right with the sauce; the hickory sauce is great. But the pulled pork? It seriously tasted as if it had an hour of smoke then was boiled in a crock pot.

Sorry if I'm a little harsh, but that's just the way it was.

Feedback?
I feel ya on that! I attended the Big Pig Jig about 7 or 8 years ago and and on my way out I stopped at a Jack's Old South food stand. I got a pulled pork sandwich and ended up throwing it away. It had zero flavor and it was VERY mushy, almost a pate' of sorts with strands of meat. YUK! Myron must not be overseeing the product being put out.
Old 03-11-2019, 04:26 AM   #11
Czarbecue
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Viet King Cong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotch View Post
Did you see a stack of wood or a smoker somewhere?

This place probably tries to hide the electric assisted smoker it use instead of hiring a pitmaster.
Old 03-23-2019, 12:26 AM   #12
Prodrvr
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Big Time

Myron Mixon is the Gene Simmons of bbq. Market everything!
Prodrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 12:33 AM   #13
Prodrvr
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Big Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamMadMan View Post
My only advice is what I would recommend with any restaurant; If you don't like the food, let the staff at the front of the house know
Just tell 'em it tastes like crap? Wish I could do that, but I don't have that kind of patience. I make sure they see me walk to the trash can with a full plate of food and dump it in, then walk out and never look back. The world would be a much better place if you can find one, just one bbq joint that has good food consistently. Can't stand that one day great, next day crap.
Prodrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 03-26-2019, 02:24 PM   #14
KClandcruiser
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Erik

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke ninja View Post
The fact that they had French fries should have been a dead giveaway.

Never trust a Q joint with deep fryers

I don't think there is a single barbecue place in Kansas City that doesn't have a deep fryer. I would be weirded out if a barbecue place didn't have french fries. It is the perfect side companion to smoked meat
KClandcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 02:27 PM   #15
SirPorkaLot

Name/Nickname : John

Quote:
Originally Posted by KClandcruiser View Post
I don't think there is a single barbecue place in Kansas City that doesn't have a deep fryer. I would be weirded out if a barbecue place didn't have french fries. It is the perfect side companion to smoked meat

It’s the Midwest “perfect side” for bbq.

You wouldn’t order fries in a southern BBQ joint, but it would be frowned upon if you didn’t get a side of hush puppies