• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Thawing Boston Butts

Big George's BBQ

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
I have 2 Boston Butts- 7 to 8 lbs each, bone in. Took them out of my freezer chest and put in the fridge. I thought that 60 hours would be good for the thaw, but now I am not so sure. They were in the freezer about 3 1/2 days. Plan to prep tonight and put on the egg about 7AM tomorrow. How long do you normally plan for thawing meats.

That should be fine. Put the butts on a cookie drying grid or raise them off the shelf to allow air to get to all sides.

Or "google" turkey thawing and follow the waterbath thawing directions.

If they are partially frozen (the first inch or so is thawed) I've rubbed them down and put them on the smoker.... Yes, it adds about an hour to the cook but it comes out fine.

If you still need to thaw them, put them in a large soup pot and run a thin stream of cold water over them. It'll take a hour or two but it should thaw them out faster than just on the counter or in the fridge. Plus, it's safer...

I thawed one thursday early all day 12hrs in cold h2o nsink a
nd injected and rubbed lastnight to put out on smoker in early am. Mine was just fine when injected and mine was n deepfreezer for over a month. You should be fine??? What temp do I foil and start pulling, it's been a while.

Thanks. I thought putting them in H2O would take away some of the flavor of the meat. They arer wrapped in butcher paper not plastic. I did think even if I can not inject I can put on the rub and still cook tomorrow

Thanks. I thought putting them in H2O would take away some of the flavor of the meat. They arer wrapped in butcher paper not plastic. I did think even if I can not inject I can put on the rub and still cook tomorrow

I doubt soaking them would remove any flavor, but what do I know. Meat usually gets washed prior to seasoning, but I guess that is for a shorter period of time. If it concerns you, you could also wrap with plastic wrap if you have some

If your that worried about it, make up a merindade of your rub, water (or beer), and a couple of ice cubes to keep it cold while thawing... Get flavor in while you thaw it out.... Just make sure that you have enough to fully submerge the butts....

If your that worried about it, make up a merindade of your rub, water (or beer), and a couple of ice cubes to keep it cold while thawing... Get flavor in while you thaw it out.... Just make sure that you have enough to fully submerge the butts....

I do tend to worry Jeff until I know things are going to turn out good. Thanks for your help

They will be fine anyway you do it. Just experiment. Learn. And smoke-on.

I am always amazed when directions are given to place something in the refrigerator to thaw out without any consideration of the temperature of the refrigerator. My refrigerator in the kitchen is set at 34 degrees(beer), it would take a month for something to thaw out.

I always enjoy injecting frozen pork butts. :becky:

I have cooked frozen pork a few times and it always turns out great.

Well they ended up being partially frozen. Not easy to inject a partially frozen butt- stuff went everywhere. I should have put it in H2O but did not. Got some of the injection in. slathered some yellow mustard and put on the rub. Stuck back in fridge. Fired up the egg at 5:15 AM. Pulled the butts out of the Fridge @ 6:15. Plan to put them on @ 7:15 after the egg has stabilized. It is going good at 225 now. Then I have to go to work. Hopefully it will be a short day. If I was not so technically challenged I would post pics

I wouldn't put them in plain water without wrapping in plastic bag or something. It is one thing to brine them, but totally another to let them sit in water naked.

I wouldn't put them in plain water without wrapping in plastic bag or something. It is one thing to brine them, but totally another to let them sit in water naked.

What negative effects do you suppose this would have?

This not rocket science , put them in cold water and thaw or if half thaw put them on the fire .

This not rocket science , put them in cold water and thaw or if half thaw put them on the fire .

I didn't think so either...I have always thawed meats/chicken submerged in cold water in my sink, just curious to hear others views as to why this is a bad thing.

I have 2 Boston Butts- 7 to 8 lbs each, bone in. Took them out of my freezer chest and put in the fridge. I thought that 60 hours would be good for the thaw, but now I am not so sure. They were in the freezer about 3 1/2 days. Plan to prep tonight and put on the egg about 7AM tomorrow. How long do you normally plan for thawing meats.

I don't care what anyone says... here is how I always defrost them.. only a handful have died

http://www.youtube.com/user/PopdaddysBBQ#p/u/32/olIJoZq1sVY

Back