MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-02-2010, 06:37 PM   #1
Derek
is Blowin Smoke!

Default Keeping ribs moist, with out foil?

How do you gentleman keep your ribs moist when you don't use foil?

I'm very scared of doing them that way, and I really want too so I can become a rib master for sure.

Thanks

Derek.
The Cajun Bandit.
Derek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-02-2010, 06:45 PM   #2
GeauxBigRed
On the road to being a farker

There was a thread about just this subject earlier today....check it out.

I don't foil and I don't anything special other than adding a little sauce towards th end of the cook. Give it a shot one time when you are not cooking for anyone, you'll be suprised at how moist they do stay.

Old 06-02-2010, 06:55 PM   #3
GeauxBigRed
On the road to being a farker

Found the thread.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=85770

Old 06-02-2010, 07:16 PM   #4
MilitantSquatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek View Post
How do you gentleman keep your ribs moist when you don't use foil?

I'm very scared of doing them that way, and I really want too so I can become a rib master for sure.

Thanks

Derek.

K-Y Jelly.....

seriously bro... If you get caught up too hard on the whole foil thing to cook ribs or other meats, you'll drown in your ability to improve.

just try it without... don't open the lid/door, don't fark around with all the mops/spray bottles etc.. just let it cook and try to maintain your desired cook temp.

if you don't like it, adjust from their next time.. but at least you have a personal frame of reference.

you've just got to try it.. If it sucks,
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-02-2010, 07:18 PM   #5
Frank Sacco
is One Chatty Farker

I spit on them!
Sponsors: Oakridge BBQ, Frontier Charcoal
NEBS MAFIA
Blazin' Buttz BBQ www.blazinbuttzbbq.com
Frank Sacco is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-02-2010, 07:20 PM   #6
NorthwestBBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Personally, I have never tasted a dry rib. Over and under done, but never dry.
NorthwestBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-02-2010, 07:20 PM   #7
Big_AL
Full Fledged Farker

Your realize Derek you'll have to make at least two racks of ribs this weekend foiling half and keeping half un-foiled. I'm already looking forward to the pics. For me, testing different techniques is a large part of the fun.

Next weekend...mustard vs oil slather.

Old 06-02-2010, 07:26 PM   #8
landarc

The problem is Derek, making good ribs with any method is all about skill and practice. I can tell you exactly what I do, but, your ribs will not be the same as mine. To me, if there is a method you want to use to cook ribs, then practice that one method, period, no variations. Practice it until you can nail it. Do you see all the posts on here of guys doing chicken, over and over, that is how you learn to be a good comp cook.

Now, I prepare for making ribs first by selection. I buy one of three brands of ribs, Niman Ranch, Beeler's or Smithfield. I try to get them such that I have enough of them so that when I remove them from the package, I can select the floppy ones to start with. I like meaty ribs, with pure white fat in veins through the meat, I look for straighter bones. And I like rib cages where the bulk of the bones are under 7" in length. I wash the pork and dry it, then let it come to room temperature for no more than 15 minutes.

I prepare my rubs with a two layer system, I use either Plowboy's Yardbird, Simply Marvelous or my own Pork rub. I do not use a slather. If I am cooking for fun, I might sometimes rub the rack down with Worcestershire sauce. For a top rub, I use the same top rub I use for all my meats on the smoker. Black pepper, kosher salt, citrus rind and garlic powder. I do not vary from this process.

I cook ribs at temperatures between 240F and 250F. I am always shooting for this range for ribs as I believe the color and texture is better at this temperature. It allow for 6 hours to complete a small cook, more racks equals more time. I put the ribs on bone down, I do not turn them or flip them. The thicker end points towards fire. If I need more room and only have the kettle, I will use the ribs racks, but, I still do not turn or flip. Bones always face the heat source.

I do not foil, no spritz or mop or any other added moisture until the ribs are within 15 minutes of being done. Then if I am gonna glaze, which I do for most cooks where I am cooking for others, I glaze at that point. For almost all cooks, I use one of three sauces mixed with either beer, bourbon or cider vinegar to thin the sauce to a glaze consistency. I trust that my smoker will do the job, it generally does. I do check on the ribs at 4 hours, and use my experience to judge whether they need more and how much more. There is no trick I can teach you here. I have cooked ribs over live fire for over 3 years now and there is nothing other than experience that will teach you than to cook.

Really, for important cooks, for cooks where I am getting paid, or when I am gonna compete with someone, I do it this way, everytime, even if I am practicing.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-02-2010, 07:38 PM   #9
Derek
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Sacco View Post
I spit on them!
LOL......

Thanks guys, I will do some ribs this weekend for practice, I can handle 6 racks now with the cajun bandit kit :)
The Cajun Bandit.

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-02-2010, 07:41 PM   #10
BBQ Grail

I've heard people boil them in beer first!

Soon to be a Texafornian.

For a limited time I will be issuing Moink Ball Certificates. I'm working on a special COVID 19 Verson.
Email me for details.
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 06-02-2010, 07:56 PM   #11
landarc

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ Grail View Post
That is how brisket is done in San Francisco from what I hear.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-02-2010, 08:06 PM   #12
Derek
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ Grail View Post
Heck, I'll do whiskey brine instead :) I love hard liquer betta!

Thanks for putting that idea in my head, bro! LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
Really?
The Cajun Bandit.

Old 06-02-2010, 08:06 PM   #13
Boshizzle

Keep your temps at grate level between 250 and 290 and you will do fine. If you want to mop them with Italian dressing or spritz them with apple cider/vinegar, go for it. Just don't burn them up with high temps and you will be fine. If you go too low on the temp 220 -240, you will spend a lot of wasted time and effort and may dry them out. Remember, 250 to 290 and you will be fine. It will take a little longer without foil and a little longer still if you go with spares instead of baby backs.

Also, take it easy on the sugar. Sugar begs to burn, so don't put much on until the last 1/2 hour or so.

Old 06-02-2010, 08:06 PM   #14
SmokeJumper
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
Not in my backyard!
SmokeJumper is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-02-2010, 08:07 PM   #15
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

Here is my advice plain and simple. And in a way we all have thought of I am sure.

In much the same way you would tag one of your mother's hot 70 year old sisters at the local Golden Corral. You need to get the meat in and out of the pit and the job done as quickly as possible.

I hope I have made that clear.

Thanks from: --->