Big Green Egg Advice

Bigmofo300lbs

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Going up to my folks place this weekend and was thinking about q'n. They have a Green Egg (though it is shaped like an acorn...I know...my folks are weird) and I have NEVER used it. They only use it for grilling. Now everything I read says these things are great for slow & low cooking. So, I am gonna give it a shot. Any advice for this 1st timer (as far as the Egg is concerned) would be appreciated.

Fill the fire ring with lump charcoal (Kingsford won't work) lighting with firestarter cubes (weber sales them) in a couple fo spots. You need to use a pan or a plate setter if they have one to make it indirect.
You control the pit temp with the bottom vent and the exhaust, bottom vent maybe only open 1/8 to 1/4" and the top vent will closed to 1/2" . Use very little wood for smoke for that reason.
Because it is ceramic once the pit temps get too high it is very hard to get them back down. If you would like to call me it would be much easier to talk you throught it rather than write it.
888-527-7661

I'm not sure but I'm guessing big green eggs would go good together with big green ham.

If you would like to call me it would be much easier to talk you throught it rather than write it.

Will do Jim! They have the BIGGEST one. And if they hold temps as well as reported then I am thinking about doing a brisket...and maybe a shoulder.

Fill the fire ring with lump charcoal (Kingsford won't work) lighting with firestarter cubes (weber sales them) in a couple fo spots. You need to use a pan or a plate setter if they have one to make it indirect.
You control the pit temp with the bottom vent and the exhaust, bottom vent maybe only open 1/8 to 1/4" and the top vent will closed to 1/2" . Use very little wood for smoke for that reason.
Because it is ceramic once the pit temps get too high it is very hard to get them back down. If you would like to call me it would be much easier to talk you throught it rather than write it.
888-527-7661

I can vouch for all that. I had to teach a guy how smoke on one of these and had never previously used one. Wish I knew about the pan.

tk
You cooked direct on an egg, that must have been interesting.

tk
You cooked direct on an egg, that must have been interesting.

Yes, 2 racks of St Louis and actually kept 230-250 most of the cook - after getting it down from 275-300. That exhaust bottom does incredible things to the temperature - I think moreso than on the WSM. Must have done something right - dude paid me $200 for spending the day with him. Most people run away from me.

Mark said:
I'm not sure but I'm guessing big green eggs would go good together with big green ham.

You should try them with some Spam.

You will like them Sam I am.

Does it really cut down on the cooking time?

Again I'm no expert but why would it? 225 is 225. 250 is 250, and so on. Is cooking time really cut down in a 250 oven?

You do get a heat load from all the ceramics and it does effect cooking times. Radiant heat does seem to shorten cooking times a little. I know of cooks that would run the pit temps so low that they would get real long cooking times. The problem is you have to close the pit down so much that you can use very little or no wood.

Back