MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-14-2010, 10:04 PM   #1
jack040806
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Brisket questions?

So I have made brisket three of the last four weekends and I am kinda disappointed with the results. The meat is tender and has good bark but the inside is just not getting any flavor, I have been cooking on my wsm, fat side down and I did try injecting with a basic beef broth. So I was thinking about going fat side up this week and possibly poking it with a fork to provide a path for the fat to drip down into the meat, any thoughts would be really helpful, thank you.

Old 01-14-2010, 10:07 PM   #2
BBQ Grail
somebody shut me the fark up.

No fork poking!

I use low sodium beef broth with Bovine Bold in it. Heat the broth, dissolve the rub, strain and inject.

Soon to be a Texafornian.

For a limited time I will be issuing Moink Ball Certificates. I'm working on a special COVID 19 Verson.
Email me for details.
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-14-2010, 10:09 PM   #3
jack040806
is one Smokin' Farker

Cool, thanks Larry, and is fat up the way to roll on the wsm? I'm still learning this thing. I know how to get some good eats on the drum but I need to perfect my new cooker.

Old 01-14-2010, 10:12 PM   #4
BBQ Grail

Well Jack I can only tell you how I would do it on the WSM. Don't know about others...

On my WSM I use a 14 inch clay saucer in the water pan. (No water). I put the fat cap down on my WSM and UDS.

For a limited time I will be issuing Moink Ball Certificates. I'm working on a special COVID 19 Verson.
Email me for details.

Old 01-14-2010, 10:16 PM   #5
Saiko
is Blowin Smoke!

Not quite sure what you mean by "not getting any flavor". Are you talking smoke flavor, rub flavor? I don't think fat cap up or down is going to make any difference in what you are looking for, it's probably more a factor of what your expectations are.
Personally, I think a properly smoked brisket tastes like beef, smoke, and then a salty/spice flavor from the bark. What is your brisket missing?
"Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead."
Saiko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-14-2010, 10:16 PM   #6
jack040806
is one Smokin' Farker

So does that provide somewhat of a barrier for the heat and yet leave you with dry heat as opposed to getting a moist heat with the water? It seems to me that the moist heat is somewhat responsible for the loss of flavor when cooking on the wsm vs. the uds, also probably has something to do with the flavor of the food dripping straight into the fire.

Old 01-14-2010, 10:21 PM   #7
jack040806
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saiko View Post
Not quite sure what you mean by "not getting any flavor". Are you talking smoke flavor, rub flavor? I don't think fat cap up or down is going to make any difference in what you are looking for, it's probably more a factor of what you expecations are.
Personally, I think a properly smoked brisket tastes like beef, smoke, and then a salty/spice flavor from the bark. What is your brisket missing?
I'm hoping to be able to pull out somewhat of a salty beefy smoky flavor throughout. What I have been ending up with lately is a really good flavor on the outside but the inside tastes like a very bland pot roast. I know this isn't the worst thing ever, I have eaten every last bit of all three briskets. I just figured if anyone knew how to pull out more of that flavor throughout the whole of the meat it would be incredibly helpful.

Old 01-14-2010, 10:23 PM   #8
BBQ Grail

I have no idea! I just found that using the clay saucer allowed me to have far more control over the heat. I doubt very much that moist heat has anything to do with the flavor inside the brisket.

Email me for details.

Old 01-14-2010, 10:24 PM   #9
BBQ Grail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saiko View Post
Not quite sure what you mean by "not getting any flavor". Are you talking smoke flavor, rub flavor? I don't think fat cap up or down is going to make any difference in what you are looking for, it's probably more a factor of what your expectations are.
Saiko makes a very good point here. To me a brisket is not a particularly "strong" tasting cut of beef. Is it possible your expectation is a little high?

Email me for details.

Old 01-14-2010, 10:25 PM   #10
jack040806
is one Smokin' Farker

Cool. Thanks Larry, your insight is always appreciated and I think I have a clay saucer in the garage. Do you wrap it in foil for easier cleanup or anything?

Old 01-14-2010, 10:25 PM   #11
MilitantSquatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack040806 View Post
I'm hoping to be able to pull out somewhat of a salty beefy smoky flavor throughout. What I have been ending up with lately is a really good flavor on the outside but the inside tastes like a very bland pot roast. I know this isn't the worst thing ever, I have eaten every last bit of all three briskets. I just figured if anyone knew how to pull out more of that flavor throughout the whole of the meat it would be incredibly helpful.
Taka a read through Barbefunkoramaque's brisket threads...

Beyond the funk, there's a ton of quality information regarding the importance of salt as a carrier of flavor and the need to pay attention to ratios

I believe he got it right.
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-14-2010, 10:26 PM   #12
BBQ Grail

Quote:
Cool. Thanks Larry, your insight is always appreciated and I think I have a clay saucer in the garage. Do you wrap it in foil for easier cleanup or anything?
Double wrapped. I wrap the saucer and then put in the bowl and wrap the whole thing again.

Email me for details.

Old 01-14-2010, 10:28 PM   #13
jack040806
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ Grail View Post
Saiko makes a very good point here. To me a brisket is not a particularly "strong" tasting cut of beef. Is it possible your expectation is a little high?
It's very possible, my pops asked the same thing. I know that once it is finished cooking there are a ton of different ways to get that added kick on flavor that I'm looking for and I may have to content myself with that. I just have had some briskets on my uds that had more of a salty smoky flavor throughout. This could completely be just one of those things though that the direct heat of the uds provides a slightly different flavor profile than the indirect on the wsm.

Old 01-14-2010, 10:50 PM   #14
Saiko
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
I just have had some briskets on my uds that had more of a salty smoky flavor throughout. This could completely be just one of those things though that the direct heat of the uds provides a slightly different flavor profile than the indirect on the wsm.
I think you hit the nail on the head here. With a UDS without a heat deflector, all the fat drippings fall directly on your charcoal bed, resulting in a more intense flavor. Some people think it tastes better, some people don't.

That brings up the age old cooking question, do you prepare food the way YOU like it or the way other people do. If you prefer the flavor profile of a UDS smoked brisket over a WSM, then just go with the UDS. I'm like you, I love an intense smokey flavor, but I've been happy with the briskets I've produced on the WSM.
"Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead."
Saiko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-14-2010, 11:20 PM   #15
BobBrisket

Name/Nickname : Bob

I hate to admit that I have not used my WSM since I made my drum. I made plenty briskets on the WSM. They had great moisture, rings, and smoke flavor..............but the Drum adds that one flavor profile that the WSM doesn't. It adds that "smoldering beef fat" smell and flavor. The briskets even have that smell that you get when you grill a steak with a good amount of fat on it. The smell can't be mistaken for the smell of wood smoke. So, in the end, you get that extra flavor profile.
I know what you mean about the internal flavor. But personally, I like that balance of the "plain" beef flavor on the inside and then you get hit with the bark, the smoke, and the kinda salty/fatty flavor from the fat dripping and burning on the coals. Another way to get some flavor is to serve it or put in back in it's own foil drippings once you slice it up.
Consider this.......beef broth is very weak, salty foil drippings basically.

One thing I do is save foil drippings. The fat and all. I strain it. Then, those drippings become my injection for future briskets, not all the time. I simply heat it up and inject it as is, no diluting. That makes for some killer flavor.
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Discada Set Up,OKJ Highland Offset.
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver
My BEST Compliment....."You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son :)
Miss You, Marty and Bull! RIP
BobBrisket is online now   Reply With Quote