Biltong in new SethEffrican Biltong Box

SmokinAussie

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Gold Coast, Queensland! (Finally Escaped Melbourne
Dear Gentleman,

Or... G'Day Bruces':becky: (As I always used to say)

Some of you Auld F@rts remaining here might remember I used to do a batch of Biltong/Jerky occasionally.

I just bought a new Biltong King drying box from a local on-line store here because I didn't feel like tooling up for making a new one myself and I only want to do small amounts these days.

This is my first result with this and I'm really very pleased at the result. The box came with a kilo of Safari Seasoning which is made by Crown National in SethEffrica and is very popular. Normally I make my own seasoning but in this case I thought I'd give this stuff a go. I bought a cut we call "Girello" here. It's apparently one of the muscles of the"Silverside" primal and is what is mainly used in SethEffrica when you can't get Springbok, Gembok, Zebra, Giraffe, Wildebeesties or Lion.:heh:

I added some smoked paprika, cumin, worcestershire sauce and malt vinegar to the mix and marinated this in the fridge for 2 days before hanging:

20180816_192425_zpsczp1id8a.jpg

And hung it up in the new "Biltong King"
20180816_192631_zpsdaaesnwr.jpg

About 5 days later it was looking pretty good and had the right firmness.
20180821_083913_zpsoqkbb6lb.jpg

20180821_083922_zpsqglvfhbn.jpg

I was really pleased with the mahogany colour. Just like the stuff you buy for "spendy" at the deli or smallgoods store.

Slicing up, it was not as glossy inside as when I make my own mix, but was certainly the right flavour. Very tasty!

20180821_083941_zpsj314ul63.jpg

It's not BBQ. But it's the best thing to snack on when you're BBQing!

Thanks for looking fellas!

Cheers!

Looking good!
4 days till eating? I can normally eat them after about 1.5-2 days (but then, I like my biltong quite rare!)

I love biltong, so much better than our beef jerky. But hard to find in the US done properly.

And forget about trying to find springbok or anything other than beef . . . .

Great to see you posting again and nice work there! :clap2:

I had to stop making jerky due to extreme lack of self control. I'd just continuously shovel it into my farking pie hole until it was all gone. :oops:

Keep it clean

I have been in poor health for the past year and a half. The result of that is that my smoker has not been fired up since Thanksgiving of 2016. My idea was to clean it very good with simple green and scrub it well. After I pressure wash it with clean water, I would fire it up and coat it very well with cooking spray. Let it get to a good medium heat and put the grates in with a good coat of spray. When the heat get up and the spray is giving the inside a good coating, let the heat go down slowly.

If all of this sounds like a good initial cleaning and seasoning, it is. The only step that I didn't cover is the snakes, mice, and mold and mildew. I plan to cover this as necessary. Mold and mildew will be scrubbed as necessary and mice and snakes will be shot. FB is 3/8" and CC is 1/4" so, I figure #8 is ok.

Since this cooker has been sitting for almost two years, does anybody have any hints or tips that will help any ideas to make the job a little better?

Thanks in advance, Joe

If you just keep drying it, the shelf life is months or longer.
Mostly limited by your own appetite :)

If you like if softer (rarer), it freezes very well

Looking good!
4 days till eating? I can normally eat them after about 1.5-2 days (but then, I like my biltong quite rare!)

Hey Badjak.

Howzit?

I've done biltong in that time too with my older bigger box that I threw out, and a big arse fan.

This new box has a computer fan at the top for extraction and the light fitting at the bottom for anything up to 100W incandescent bulb depending on how fast you want to go.

In this case, I went for a 40W bulb and we are in the middle of winter right now, so it was pretty slow. I was hoping for slow anyway because I was away for the weekend and I didn't want it to go too far. Next batch I'll bump up to 100Watts and see how it goes, but I'll be using my own spice mix.

Cheers!

Looks great, I get mine cut fresh at Moorabin, whats the online store?

https://www.biltongboks.com.au/

2 Expats from Capetown. I think they are in South Melbourne. Anyway, I got the gear and the spices from them. Came in 2 days. I did really wanna make my own box again but when! Right! At least this thing just clipped together in 5 minutes and I was up and running. Very happy.

Hey Badjak.

Howzit?

I've done biltong in that time too with my older bigger box that I threw out, and a big arse fan.

This new box has a computer fan at the top for extraction and the light fitting at the bottom for anything up to 100W incandescent bulb depending on how fast you want to go.

In this case, I went for a 40W bulb and we are in the middle of winter right now, so it was pretty slow. I was hoping for slow anyway because I was away for the weekend and I didn't want it to go too far. Next batch I'll bump up to 100Watts and see how it goes, but I'll be using my own spice mix.

Cheers!

Where do I get a 100W light bulb these days now that they are outlawed? My Easy Bake oven quit when the light bulb burned out too.

Time to look for a 100W heater I guess and an energy efficient LED light bulb ... :mad2:

Yep, that's a problem.
No more old fashioned light bulbs....

I got 1 left and it's in use.
When that's gone I'll have to make a plan..
Which reminds me, I better start looking if I can find an old batch in one of the village stores

Back