Issues with foil-grill grate cleaning

16Adams

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
I quit using a wire brush a long time ago. Mainly due to the metal bristle situation. I went to high heat and aluminum foil. Regardless of name brand or store brand I can now see aluminum flakes being left behind. Didn’t always do this. So now Im looking at the various non bristle stainless wheels, wood etc. same with scouring pads. They shred. Plastic is not tough enough.

Right now my grates are wrapped in foil baking at 450* in the oven. I’ve got replacements (cast iron) but firebox is cracked on both sides now. Weight might be an issue. A ceramic thing :)

I’m interested in the stainless non bristle.

Thoughts Anyone?

Need to request warranty on firebox

I've found that AL foil works best when used on only a lightly dirtied grate. It falls apart when used for the heavy stuff. The wooden scrapers do a pretty good job, once they get shaped by using them. I've used wooden paint stir sticks, deer scapulas, and putty knives to remove the heavy stuff.

I use stainless steel scouring balls for a light going over before cooking fish. Check for pieces, have never found any, figure they are bigger, shinier, and less of a threat swallowed than a piece of wire. I then oil the hot grate using a paper towel held in tongs, which should catch anything I've missed.
That said, this is my usual go to.
picture.php

Only downsides are they can be slow, and I've had to go looking for the grate in the yard a couple of times.

If you burn off any heavy build up with a propane torch, it will carbonize and clean off a lot easier. I prefer a brush. Just inspect it on a regular basis, and wipe down your grate after scrubbing.

I (sometimes) use a wire brush then follow with a hard plastic brush to finish the job.

Lye bath can make them new. If you have a corner of the garage to put a tub in a bath will last a long time. Obviously not a solution for every cleaning but it is cheap and easy to basically have brand new grates overnight.

Well they look better. Really hard to clean the edges. Hate to do the 500* thirty minute self cleaning cycle as it usually loosens the gasket. They’re ,the grates, are porcelain coated. Afraid I’d chip with a metal tool. I’ve got cast iron replacement grates but those come with their own maintenance scenarios. It’s going to be my big cooker for a while, with three frequent cookers sold recently I’ve got time to devote to get the Primo tuned up. I balled up some foil and lightly rubbed a corner, it came off. Like little specs of glitter. I’m sill wondering if the AF recipe has changed, or I’ve failed to notice the specs the last few years.

Last edited:
I went ahead and fired it up to 500*. Let it run then started backing it down with vents. Crud had turned to crust/ except those pesky outermost areas. Ran a garden spade lightly down the grooves to pop off cooked crud. Then went over it with a wet cloth held by long tongs.

Beer and shower time.

Last edited:
I had a pack if wood wedges in my garage and started using them to scrape. Works pretty good, but it won’t get the edges.

Back