• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Overnight pork butt on the Primo Oval XL

Baby Back Maniac

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
So I actually didn't intend to make a video out of this. I was just doing a test run on the Oval. No big surprised as far as how it cooked but man, the pork butt turned out great. I used a sauce from Ole Hickory Pits which is a brand I wasn't too familiar with, but a friend was and recommended I let them send it to me. I'm really glad I did. The rub was from a competition team that lives near me called Big Country BBQ. It's really good. They are probably members here.

Basically this was an 18 hour all-nighter between 225-250 degrees and it turned out great...with a rain delay.

https://youtu.be/4E88WLP27NQ

BBM - Great video as always. I have had my Primo Oval XL for 10 years. It is such a versatile tool. Smoke, grill, high temp sear, pizza oven, etc. It is also a great companion to my Sous Vide cooks. AND Made in the USA!

Good luck and looking forward to you upcoming surprise cooker!

I was very happy to see you add a Primo to your collection. Keep them coming

BBM - Great video as always. I have had my Primo Oval XL for 10 years. It is such a versatile tool. Smoke, grill, high temp sear, pizza oven, etc. It is also a great companion to my Sous Vide cooks. AND Made in the USA!

Good luck and looking forward to you upcoming surprise cooker!

I knew it would be a good cooker but I am really enjoying it more than I expected. The oval shape is really nice and the firebox divider is very convenient.

I love my KJ classic, but really like the idea of split cooking like this. I've always told people I almost prefer my weber kettle for smoking because there is just a little more radiant heat from the coals versus the convective type heat from a kamado. Looks like this set up is a little more similar to a kettle in that respect.
Great video as always Justin!

I love my KJ classic, but really like the idea of split cooking like this. I've always told people I almost prefer my weber kettle for smoking because there is just a little more radiant heat from the coals versus the convective type heat from a kamado. Looks like this set up is a little more similar to a kettle in that respect.
Great video as always Justin!

I like using my oval XL this way when the size of the cook allows for it - one of my biggest complaints with kamado style smokers in the past is how difficult it is to add more wood chunks or fuel, and being able to access the half with no heat deflector in place has proven to be handy.

Can anyone tell me what video is about?

I kid. Looks nice, how do you like it vs KJ or Weber summit

The Prime XL is what got me into BBQ six year ago, and led me to the Brethren. She doesn't get as much love as she used to before the Shirley but, its a solid cooker that I'll have for the next decade plus. Thanks for the vid.

With 3 types of kamado style cookers now, do you see any differences in flavor? Any one of the three you would recommend over the others? I'm not looking for one but it would be interesting to hear since you have them all available to compare.

With 3 types of kamado style cookers now, do you see any differences in flavor? Any one of the three you would recommend over the others? I'm not looking for one but it would be interesting to hear since you have them all available to compare.

I've got a BGE, Primo, KJ, and Summit. The food is pretty similar. It's really a matter of features you like.

I like the shape of the primo, the hinge/gasket of the KJ, the weight and durability of the Summit, and some of the benefits of being the brand leader of the BGE and make the ultimate cooker. lol

Back