MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-04-2012, 08:00 PM   #1
darita
is One Chatty Farker

Default Komodo Kamado...Anyone Have One?

Does anyone actually have one of these? They are gorgeous, but how good are they? Sour grapes tells me that my XL is every bit as good a cooker, but I'd love to hear from an owner, just what I'm missing. All kidding aside, I already told the wife, if I ever hit the lotto, I don't need a bigger house or a fancier car, but this thing I gotta have!

Old 03-04-2012, 08:34 PM   #2
The Pup
Knows what a fatty is.

I have one, it works as advertised.

They are well built and insulated. I have had it up to ~1100F during burn-in and was able to place me bare hands on the outside with no problem.

I have been a dedicated smoker/griller for close to 50 years and it is an absolute joy to use.
The Pup is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-04-2012, 08:52 PM   #3
Sly-one
Full Fledged Farker

Yeow, that's a thing of true beauty!

Old 03-04-2012, 08:54 PM   #4
The Pup
Knows what a fatty is.

...just before shipment:

Old 03-04-2012, 08:59 PM   #5
Nomo4me
On the road to being a farker

Beauty!

Is 'sour grapes' even a color option for those things?
Nomo4me is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-04-2012, 09:14 PM   #6
darita
is One Chatty Farker

I'm beyond jealous and heading toward obsessed. I keep hearing, "How can I get one of these...how can I get one of these...". Scary!
They are beautiful though and i am glad to hear that they work as good as they look. Maybe if I sell my car...

Old 03-04-2012, 09:18 PM   #7
darita
is One Chatty Farker

What are the insides like? Anything like a BGE. Or Primo? Options?

Old 03-04-2012, 09:23 PM   #8
The Pup
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darita View Post
I'm beyond jealous and heading toward obsessed. I keep hearing, "How can I get one of these...how can I get one of these...". Scary!
They are beautiful though and i am glad to hear that they work as good as they look. Maybe if I sell my car...
I have never had much trouble making good eats; whether on a fancy offset, a $35 cooker or the much maligned gasser or pellet popper. If you are making good Q on your BGE, you should relax and make the most with what you have got.

Just breath-in-and-out...this too shall pass.

Old 03-04-2012, 09:28 PM   #9
The Pup
Knows what a fatty is.

It was three levels (here are the top two):

Upper/ Sear Grill............274 Sq"..........18 m2
Lower Grill....................329 Sq"........ .21 m2
Main Grill......................375 Sq"........ .24 m2
Total Grilling Area...........978 Sq"........ .63 m2

It also works with a rotisserie set up (I have used both 8" and 6" cages).

Old 03-04-2012, 09:40 PM   #10
troytime
Full Fledged Farker

a friend of mine has one and loves it.
but he's a millionaire and doesn't really know how to use it :)
troytime is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-04-2012, 09:56 PM   #11
darita
is One Chatty Farker

I'd love to see more of the insides of this thing, but the website doesn't show it. I'd like to see things like the firebox and vents and things like that. Are there options for a split direct/indirect cook? How's the warranty?

Old 03-04-2012, 10:19 PM   #12
Baby Back Maniac
is One Chatty Farker

Pup,
Is this the bigger one or the smaller one?

Darita,
There are 3 videos on youtube that show a lot of it. When I first saw the price tag I thought it was outrageously overpriced but the more I researched it, the more I feel like it's actually UNDER-priced for what you get.

Someday...
Baby Back Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-04-2012, 10:20 PM   #13
The Pup
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darita View Post
I'd love to see more of the insides of this thing, but the website doesn't show it. I'd like to see things like the firebox and vents and things like that. Are there options for a split direct/indirect cook? How's the warranty?
Except for grilling, I do exclusively indirect cooking (via the supplied refractory stone); you could also use foil on the lower grate too I suppose. You could modify the firebox for "split" cooking (some folks on the manufacturer's forum have a few easy approaches), but I just keep it simple and use it like a big ~600lbs dutch oven. You should contact the manufacture, Dennis Linkletter, he can answer all of your questions and provide photos.

Here's a video link from a user.

Here it is on YouTube.

Old 03-04-2012, 10:21 PM   #14
The Pup
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogsfan View Post
Pup,
Is this the bigger one or the smaller one?

Darita,
There are 3 videos on youtube that show a lot of it. When I first saw the price tag I thought it was outrageously overpriced but the more I researched it, the more I feel like it's actually UNDER-priced for what you get.

Someday...
It's the big one, I am a tall guy so the camera angle may make it look smaller than it is.

Old 03-04-2012, 10:29 PM   #15
Baby Back Maniac
is One Chatty Farker

Thanks for posting this information. I've got two questions I've always wondered about if you don't mind.

1) Is there a way to tell how open the top vent is without closing it completely down and re-spinning it to where you need it? Like if you get close, can you see threads or is it marked somehow or something?

2) Also, is it hard to bring the temps DOWN in such a heavy cooker? Also, any issue maintaining low temps?

Thanks.
Baby Back Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote