MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-22-2017, 09:06 AM   #16
tonylii
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSpazatron View Post
So what are these things made of? To tell the truth, I dont like to cook on plasticky stuff that can potentially leech into food. Iron, carbon from pans can leech onto food from the heat, but that stuff is already part of our bodies.
I've already taken pictures, but I don't know how to upload them to the forums Everybody, have a look
tonylii is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-22-2017, 10:10 AM   #17
CeramicChef
Full Fledged Farker

For the absolute life of me, I just can't see the need for these grill mats. I've been doing BBQ for decades and can never remember a time when I would have ever used one, much less 5! I've used grill pans and cast iron and just can never see why these things sell. Just my opinion.

Old 07-22-2017, 02:36 PM   #18
ChrisBarb
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadsr4 View Post
They provide an open area upon which you can cook things that tend to fall through the grate. I don't use mine very often, but when I do, they beat using punctured foil or other workarounds, since you can use a spatula on them, if needed.
It's not grilling, for sure. Why not just use foil? Or one of those grilled vegetable baskets they sell at every big box store?

Old 07-22-2017, 02:49 PM   #19
Czarbecue
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Viet King Cong

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBarb View Post
It's not grilling, for sure. Why not just use foil? Or one of those grilled vegetable baskets they sell at every big box store?
Foil tends to break with a touch of your cooking utensil. And sticks to things. Grill mats are good for putting on crappy grates. Works as designed, but a unitasker.
Czarbecue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2017, 04:34 AM   #20
tonylii
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeramicChef View Post
For the absolute life of me, I just can't see the need for these grill mats. I've been doing BBQ for decades and can never remember a time when I would have ever used one, much less 5! I've used grill pans and cast iron and just can never see why these things sell. Just my opinion.
maybe you are right!
tonylii is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2017, 08:56 AM   #21
dadsr4
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeramicChef View Post
Pans and cast iron do not allow the juices to pass through, resulting in a different result. For example, my major use of the mat is to cook meatloaf on. Unlike cooking in a pan, the grease runs into a drip pan below, rather than the meat setting in it. Fish gets dry heat on all sides.

Old 07-23-2017, 08:59 AM   #22
dadsr4

Quote:
You can't wash foil and reuse it and it tears during use.Frog mats work like the vegetable baskets, except that you can roll it up for storage after you use it.

Old 07-23-2017, 09:26 AM   #23
ChrisBarb
is one Smokin' Farker

But the mats are plastic, right? How do they get hot enough to actually grill anything? Can you get actual grill marks?

Old 07-23-2017, 09:47 AM   #24
SoCalWJS
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : John

Quote:
But the mats are plastic, right? How do they get hot enough to actually grill anything? Can you get actual grill marks?
I believe most are made from high temperature Silicon. As far as the grill marks, supposedly yes. I purchased a set at Costco awhile back, but haven't actually used them on the grill yet. I was surprised (and disappointed) by how thin/flimsy these things are. I think you have to be very careful and NEVER use them as though they had any decent structure to them - that is, never use them to lift with (unless you take caution and understand that it has to be lifted evenly from all corners or completely support whatever is on it).

Old 07-23-2017, 03:42 PM   #25
dadsr4

Quote:
They are "grill mats", as in they are used on a grill to prevent food from falling through the grate or sticking to it.
You don't get grill marks when you cook on foil or in a pan, either.
They are a convenience. I cooked for 4 decades, at least, without one. I use a piece of mat to cook meatloaf on, because it tends to sag between the bars, grabbing hold of the grate. Or for delicate fish, which tends to stick, in place of pierced foil, since the mat is reusable after washing.
Most foods can be cooked on a totally clean and oiled grate, which takes time, and careful handling of the food so it is cooked enough so as to have formed a crust to prevent the food from breaking up.

Thanks from: --->
Old 07-23-2017, 04:34 PM   #26
Budman1
is one Smokin' Farker

My daughter bought me a set of Grillaholics grill mats, about 4 years ago, for my B-day. I love them. Shrimp, bacon, eggs, taters, veggies, burgers ,salmon, cookies in the oven, you name it. We use them all the time.

Bob
Semper Fi
Budman1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bbq, grill mats