ready to cook first ever brisket

Diesel

Knows what a fatty is.
Hey all I was wondering if you all could give me some tips on a good rub I could make here at home for a brisket? Never have cooked one before but, Saturday its going on my newly built and seasoned uds. I want to make this good as I have guest coming also to see my uds.any help at all would be great.

I like to rub my brisket down with heavy coats of salt, black pepper, followed by a medium coat of granulated garlic and some chili powder.

1/8 c. fine sea salt
1/8 c. black pepper
1/8 c. paprika
1 tbp granulated garlic powder
1 tsp dry mustard
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp ground ginger

You can add 1 tsp Accent if MSG is not a problem. This recipe makes enough for 11 lb. packer. Good luck!

Thanks guys, Im going to try posey's_pork_pit rub. Its all mixed and rubbed up and in the fridge for the next two days. Its going on the uds Saturday morning about 6am.

Well the brisket has been on since 7 am this morning, I just went out and checked the meat temp and its 170 degrees. Maybe another hour or so I'll be getting ready for a little rest. Oh,I have pics of my very first all day cook.

How big a brisket? Packer,flat ? What temp you cooking ?

it was a 8.5 lbs angus brisket. Im going to guess that it was a flat as this was the very first one I have ever cooked. The uds held between 235 and 245 for the 13 hours it took to finish. I was curious to see how long it would keep temp and it fizzled at about the 15 hour mark,way beyond my expectation.Everyone thought it was fantastic, it must have been because there are no leftovers. :bow:

Back