• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Dented cans

Are dented cans okay to use?

• Yes

Votes: 16 53.3%
  • No

Votes: 11 36.7%
  • Not sure

Votes: 3 10.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
B

bbqjoe

Dented cans. Occasionally we come across dented cans. Some places even specialize in them offering them at low prices.

I'm not talking about leaking cans.

The question is this: Are dented cans okay to use?
Chances are good that you have a chioce. You're right there at the grocery store. Put back that dented one and get a good one. Or send that bent can back to your supplier. You don't have to accept it.

If you are in the food biz and the health inspector sees a shelf full of dented cans it might not be pretty for you.

So, if only say, one in a thousand is bad, is it really worth the risk to save fifty cents.

It's like playing with a loaded gun.

Last edited by a moderator:
When my wife and I owned a restaurant back in the late 90s we had a local health inspectator who looked for dented cans in our inventory. He said they were not allowed in a restaurant because of the remote possibility that the seal could be ruptured resulting in spoiled food or even illness. He said it would be a local (county) health dept. infraction with a point deduction on your inspection and could therefore lead to loss of license. Whenever I found a dented can I always returned it to the store or distributor and they never questioned it. At home it's a different story. There I just look to see if it's ruptured or not and make the judgement call.

Big Daddy

I think dented and opened cans are obviously not to be used, but I think I heard something about inner can linings being cracked and exposing the contents... Could be a wive's tale.

I've always heard that dented cans may breed botulism. It has something to do with the pressure, I think. I'm not sure how that works, actually. In every grocery store I've ever worked at, if a can was dented it was not put on the shelf.

Arlin_MacRae said:
I think dented and opened cans are obviously not to be used, but I think I heard something about inner can linings being cracked and exposing the contents... Could be a wive's tale.

I'm guessing with Arlin here :lol:

Seems like a dent has a good chance of compromising the inside of the can and allowing cooties to grow.

But...?

Great thread.

TIM

Restaurant depot ALWAYS selss their dented cans as managers specials.. or on $1.00 racks. I steer away.

i kind of remember an outbreak of botuilism being traced to dented cans of mushrooms. This was 20-30 years ago.

Also, fairly recently, i had a dented can of chicken broth. Small dent on the side, no crease, did not look like much. The can was dated for 2008. When opened the broth smelled a little "off".. i dumped it and checked inside the can and where the dent was was the can liner was compromised and there was a visable reaction taking place at the site of the break. Even though no crease was present, there was still something going on. NO more dented cans for me.

BBQchef33 said:
Also, fairly recently, i had a dented can of chicken broth. Small dent on the side, no crease, did not look like much. The can was dated for 2008. When opened the broth smelled a little "off".. i dumped it and checked inside the can and where the dent was was the can liner was compromised and there was a visable reaction taking place at the site of the break. Even though no crease was present, there was still something going on. NO more dented cans for me.

Thanks, Phil - that's exactly why I shy away from dented cans!

If dented cans weren't allowed, why would "depot" sell them. Wouldn't their liability go through the roof??? Scott

I vote, safe.

No clue.. but the dented shelves are always full of stuf.. some extremely damage.. Ive seen number 10 cans that were nearly bent in half.

Nelson's surplus in KC used to sell all kinds of dented cans..... and fire sale stuff -- literally! You could wipe the soot off of the boxes/cans... Scary stuff. But they stayed in business for at least 30 years. They had a frozen foods section too YIKES.

I presently work in a canning/labeling factory. Yah, it sucks, but it's a tween job to pay the piper since my old boss decided to stay drunk and hide out in the islands with his bar bride. We have meetings weekly on dented cans. Yes a dent does indeed indicate a possible breech of the can's inner lining. We study this chit to no end. Once the inner lining is breeched you have a situation of the can's contents in direct contact with steel. Yup, just simple steel. The contents, almost always include water, brine of water, salt, sugar, etc. Steel and these substances do not play well together. Our rule is "If it's not a perfect can, it's trash". This company's trash bill is $12,000 per month, if that indicates the volume of what we toss.

As an aside, the slightly dented cans are offered for employee sale at an incredibly low price (about $3.00 per case). I buy none.

kevin.. Great input!! Thanks for confirming that.. An age old question to me.

Interesting stuff, Kevin! Thanks! I had always heard that there was a can lining that they USED to use but quit and that these days, dented cans ARE safe... so that's how I voted. But after reading your info, I'll also stteer clear of dented cans. Thanks again!

Kevin said:
I presently work in a canning/labeling factory. Yah, it sucks, but it's a tween job to pay the piper since my old boss decided to stay drunk and hide out in the islands with his bar bride. We have meetings weekly on dented cans. Yes a dent does indeed indicate a possible breech of the can's inner lining. We study this chit to no end. Once the inner lining is breeched you have a situation of the can's contents in direct contact with steel. Yup, just simple steel. The contents, almost always include water, brine of water, salt, sugar, etc. Steel and these substances do not play well together. Our rule is "If it's not a perfect can, it's trash". This company's trash bill is $12,000 per month, if that indicates the volume of what we toss.

As an aside, the slightly dented cans are offered for employee sale at an incredibly low price (about $3.00 per case). I buy none.

Thanks all.. I really learned something on this one, I never imagined a simple dent (not bulge) could lead you down a rocky road

Wow....I learned something here.. I always heard not to buy dented cans but never gave it second thought if it appeared to be sealed or without a hole... Never bothered to understand why.

Especially if a supermarket has something like tomato sauce on sale...like 10 cans for $10 etc...I just load em in the cart without looking...

I'll be on the lookout from now on...

Here is one from Del Monte.
http://www.delmonte.com/Answers/

Q:Is it safe to eat food from a dented or swollen can?A:Dents along the side panel of the can (away from the seam) will not affect the contents of the can. Never purchase or consume a product when there are dents on the side seam or the end seams. If cans are swollen or leaking, we recommend that they be destroyed. Should you have any doubts about the safety of any food, you should not consume it.

I have always and will continue to bypass dented cans.

To back up Kevin....here is an article about chemical reaction.
http://www.extension.umn.edu/info-u/nutrition/BJ642.html
and a helpful pdf file
http://www.foodlinkny.org/pdf/Nutrition_pdf/Can_safety1.pdf

---AND for grins ---
Britany's place cited...
http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/nyla1.html

I had an order come in yesterday including a case of ketchup in #10 cans. The thing looked like it had been through a car crusher.
I just could'nt believe the guy (substitute driver) had the gall to even bring it in off the truck.
Sent the whole case back!
Really needed it though.

BBQchef33 said:
No clue.. but the dented shelves are always full of stuf.. some extremely damage.. Ive seen number 10 cans that were nearly bent in half.

What is a number 10 can?

VitaminQ said:
I've always heard that dented cans may breed botulism. It has something to do with the pressure, I think. I'm not sure how that works, actually. In every grocery store I've ever worked at, if a can was dented it was not put on the shelf.

I don't think that I have ever seen a can of tomato paste that wasn't dented. :lol:

Around our neighborhood, I see dented cans all of the time in the stores.

Back