MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-20-2019, 12:48 AM   #16
Demosthenes9
is Blowin Smoke!

Will echo what others have said, but have questions as well. Are you cooking full packers or just flats? Asking this because flats will have a higher yield percentage than full packers, i.e. 150lbs of trimmed flats in cryo will serve more than 150lbs of full packers.

If that's 150lbs of untrimmed packers, you'll be woefully short as you can figure about a 60% yield, or about 90lbs of cooked meat. Even at 4oz (1/4lb) servings, that's only 360.
Demosthenes9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-2019, 01:06 AM   #17
sudsandswine
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demosthenes9 View Post
If that's 150lbs of untrimmed packers, you'll be woefully short as you can figure about a 60% yield, or about 90lbs of cooked meat. Even at 4oz (1/4lb) servings, that's only 360.
A 60% yield on post-trimmed weight is probably more realistic. Using Costco packers as an example, i have a 20-25% loss right off the bat just from a moderate to slightly aggressive trim and then a 60% yield off that. 16lb brisket > 12lb post trim > 7lb yield. Which is more like 45ish % yield to untrimmed weight (unless you count serving hard white unrendered fat to guests). 150 raw > 50% post trim/cook yield = 75lbs x 1/3lb per person (probably low if guests are doing self service) = ~227 servings.

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-20-2019, 02:46 AM   #18
Demosthenes9
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudsandswine View Post
A 60% yield on post-trimmed weight is probably more realistic. Using Costco packers as an example, i have a 20-25% loss right off the bat just from a moderate to slightly aggressive trim and then a 60% yield off that. 16lb brisket > 12lb post trim > 7lb yield. Which is more like 45ish % yield to untrimmed weight (unless you count serving hard white unrendered fat to guests). 150 raw > 50% post trim/cook yield = 75lbs x 1/3lb per person (probably low if guests are doing self service) = ~227 servings.

heh, thanks. That would explain why even though I always cook extra, there never seems to be as much left over as I would have expected :-)
Demosthenes9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-2019, 05:24 AM   #19
WvQ
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : WvQ

Thanks for the input people. Hopefully to put everyone at ease a little here is how this will work. The group I’m cooking for is buying the meat and dropping it off. I’m only cooking it, so it’s up to them on how much they want cooked. For prep. I have help coming today at 3pm and then I’m planning on starting the cook around 5pm.

Thanks from: --->
Old 09-20-2019, 08:06 AM   #20
Bigbears BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

WVQ
Good luck with your cook and take plenty of pics, keep us posted along the way.
OG PBC
Gen 1Weber performer
Bigbears BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-2019, 08:18 AM   #21
KClandcruiser
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Erik

Get it! I'm excited to see how this works out. Good luck on the cook!

Old 09-20-2019, 08:25 AM   #22
WvQ
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KClandcruiser View Post
Get it! I'm excited to see how this works out. Good luck on the cook!
Thanks, I’ve been having brisket practice on weekends for a month. Trying to get this down. So far the UDS’s are like an easy bake oven and aren’t hard at all to tend. The vertical with the cover requires wood every hour, but is consistent. The Brinkman leaked worse than the Titanic and once this event is done is going away with no regrets.

Old 09-20-2019, 08:47 AM   #23
Mikhail
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Mik

Just a thought - maybe others can chime in on if this is a good idea. Is it too late to have them get chuckies? Less trim work for you, probably get more on the cookers, similar results.

Oh, and are you planning on cooking the day (or night) before?

Old 09-20-2019, 08:59 AM   #24
WvQ
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikhail View Post
Just a thought - maybe others can chime in on if this is a good idea. Is it too late to have them get chuckies? Less trim work for you, probably get more on the cookers, similar results.

Oh, and are you planning on cooking the day (or night) before?
I start today 5pm, cook through night and serve 12pm tomorrow

Old 09-20-2019, 09:09 AM   #25
Mikhail
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Mik

Smart move!

Old 09-20-2019, 11:00 AM   #26
Herkster
On the road to being a farker

Watching intently! Good luck!
Herkster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-2019, 12:15 PM   #27
CookinAt225
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Name/Nickname : ~

I just catered a wedding for 125 people which I smoked off 25lbs of pulled pork and 40lbs of chicken for. They slaughtered the pulled pork and I had 5 pieces of chicken left. Just using a calculator 65 / 125 = 0.5 lbs of meat per person. 150 / 500 = 0.3 lbs per person. keep in mind also this is uncooked weight and with brisket you will have some waste while trimming, so 0.3 will probably turn out to be maybe 0.2lbs per person, or less even. I would start with a minimum 200lbs of meat and go from there.
CookinAt225 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-2019, 12:26 PM   #28
toys4dlr
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : David

I've had to slice 200 cooked lbs of brisket, took me an hour and half. Crazy labor intesive. Good luck,

Toys 4 BBQ'N Competition BBQ Team
4x Hunsaker Drum Smokers
FEC 100 (sold), FEC 120 (sold), FEC 240, FEC 500 (sold), PG 500
Shirley Fab 52 x 24 Patio (sold)
250 gallon trailered Moberg
toys4dlr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-2019, 12:33 PM   #29
WvQ
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookinAt225 View Post
I just catered a wedding for 125 people which I smoked off 25lbs of pulled pork and 40lbs of chicken for. They slaughtered the pulled pork and I had 5 pieces of chicken left. Just using a calculator 65 / 125 = 0.5 lbs of meat per person. 150 / 500 = 0.3 lbs per person. keep in mind also this is uncooked weight and with brisket you will have some waste while trimming, so 0.3 will probably turn out to be maybe 0.2lbs per person, or less even. I would start with a minimum 200lbs of meat and go from there.
This is not the only meat being smoked

Old 09-20-2019, 12:41 PM   #30
Victory
On the road to being a farker

Cooking for 500 people seems like a pretty daunting task. But cooking 150lbs of brisket seems pretty manageable
Victory is offline   Reply With Quote