Thin blue smoke vs white smoke

ClintHTX

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I know thin blue is what you want when it comes to smoking meat. Clean burning fire is definitely better than a thick white smoke. But what about when you have something wrapped in foil? I know it's good to practice making and keeping a clean fire but when it's covered does it really matter? It's just heat now. Unless somehow the smoke penetrates the foil. Always wondered. Never asked. What yall think?

JMO but having a good fire is so simple why even have one that isn't in the first place?

It makes your pit stink like a day old campfire. mine smells like BBQ even when it aint got a fire in it, oh and I never use foil except to clean my grates. If you're using foil why not just shut down and Xfer to the wifes oven and save the wood.

I use foil in my pit sometimes when I'm cooking...so your telling me I should shut down and use the oven? Ha ok. Think that's the whole point of cooking outside is so you don't have to use the oven inside.

I agree with Blu. Don't gunk up your cooker. In the summer my back yard smells like bbq all the time. I have 2 cookers that sit in the sun all day.

It makes your pit stink like a day old campfire. mine smells like BBQ even when it aint got a fire in it, oh and I never use foil except to clean my grates. If you're using foil why not just shut down and Xfer to the wifes oven and save the wood.

Because Blu! Ovens are for women, pits are for men even if a hunk of meat is wrapped in foil, it's still a man's cooker......And besides if your cooking in your pit and drinking beer it's just a couple steps to a nice tree where you can take a leak....and do other manly things while you cook...... :becky:

Sometimes it is just a matter of throwing a bigger piece of wood on or one the is a little green to burn a little longer that may not burn right but with your meat being wrapped you will not get that bad smoke taste on it. Once the meat is wrapped you're safe.

Shouldn't effect wrapped meat but I would always prefer to be burning a clean fire in my smoker and not having to worry about soot build up.

I always try to maintain a clean fire, but I do worry about it a little less after wrapping. Like Bludawg said, I don't want to stink up my pit.

Blue smoke has great flavor, white smoke is acrid and awful. Most rookies oversmoke with whatever smoke (usually a combo) and their spouses say "I hate smoke, don't ever do that again."
Typically the white smoke occurs when you wood is not yet hot enough. So common to see Comp people putting the next log up on the cooker to warm it up before show time.

Wrapping in butcher paper - still the same oven vs smoker? I think it is different and will run the briskets wrapped in butcher paper in the smoker. When I foil pepper stout beef though, that goes in the oven. It's just easier when smoke not adding flavor to jam in oven.

Back