Backyard cooking for 500 people!

Get it! I'm excited to see how this works out. Good luck on the cook!

Thanks, I’ve been having brisket practice on weekends for a month. Trying to get this down. So far the UDS’s are like an easy bake oven and aren’t hard at all to tend. The vertical with the cover requires wood every hour, but is consistent. The Brinkman leaked worse than the Titanic and once this event is done is going away with no regrets.

Just a thought - maybe others can chime in on if this is a good idea. Is it too late to have them get chuckies? Less trim work for you, probably get more on the cookers, similar results.

Oh, and are you planning on cooking the day (or night) before?

Just a thought - maybe others can chime in on if this is a good idea. Is it too late to have them get chuckies? Less trim work for you, probably get more on the cookers, similar results.

Oh, and are you planning on cooking the day (or night) before?

I start today 5pm, cook through night and serve 12pm tomorrow

I just catered a wedding for 125 people which I smoked off 25lbs of pulled pork and 40lbs of chicken for. They slaughtered the pulled pork and I had 5 pieces of chicken left. Just using a calculator 65 / 125 = 0.5 lbs of meat per person. 150 / 500 = 0.3 lbs per person. keep in mind also this is uncooked weight and with brisket you will have some waste while trimming, so 0.3 will probably turn out to be maybe 0.2lbs per person, or less even. I would start with a minimum 200lbs of meat and go from there.

I've had to slice 200 cooked lbs of brisket, took me an hour and half. Crazy labor intesive. Good luck,

I just catered a wedding for 125 people which I smoked off 25lbs of pulled pork and 40lbs of chicken for. They slaughtered the pulled pork and I had 5 pieces of chicken left. Just using a calculator 65 / 125 = 0.5 lbs of meat per person. 150 / 500 = 0.3 lbs per person. keep in mind also this is uncooked weight and with brisket you will have some waste while trimming, so 0.3 will probably turn out to be maybe 0.2lbs per person, or less even. I would start with a minimum 200lbs of meat and go from there.

This is not the only meat being smoked

I've had to slice 200 cooked lbs of brisket, took me an hour and half. Crazy labor intesive. Good luck,
First time was painful with a regular knife the next time I burned up an electric knife. These are the kind of things you don't really think about.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

C'mon man,,,, show us some pictures,please.I,for one,sure am glad that you stated that there would be other meats smoked.I get it now.You are doing the "Brisket" part and others are cooking the other meats.Combined,y'all will serve 500.Sounds more reasonable.

A few years back, I did a cook for a little less than 200 for a church thing. We had a case of pork butt and a case of brisket. About 145 lbs. raw weight. We had little to no left overs, but those were the only two proteins. There were salad and sides too.

It all fit into the vault for a single cook, so 150lbs is manageable. A big task to be sure, but doable.

I wish you the best. No beer during cook and remember that much meat will require more fuel than you think. That's all I can add to the advice pile.

Good luck and take photos.

Attachments

• 20151212_235404.jpg
    20151212_235404.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 254
Back