MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-21-2010, 10:50 PM   #1
BRBBQ
Babbling Farker

Default UDS heat diffuser

Last week I decided to put some kind of heat diffuser between the charcoal basket and the food in my UDS. Basically what happened was, I removed the lid on the UDs, the lump coal kicked into high and I got burnt food let's say I was unhappy, my fault because I didn't watch it. I seen a post by Alien BBQ about the heat diffuser in an UDS, so I made a make shift plate, and put it to use today, I'm happy with the results. I assume all the juices and mopping every 2 hrs dripped on the plate causing a moist environment keeping food tender and juicy, the diffuser also kept a mess from the coals. I used RO Lump during todays test run, temps were easy to control and steady, the food was tender and juicy. I didn't use any foil while cooking the rack of ribs, I was surprised how the meat pulled back on the bone, that's never happened, (could of been mopping every 2 hrs). Also, everyone liked the chicken, but I thought it was just ok. I deboned thighs and scraped fat off the skin, what a pain, I might try muffin pans, either way I need to cook more chicken.. Anyway Main reason for diffuser was in hope of stopping combustion air from getting to Lump so fast, or slow it down once lid was removed, I'm happy. Sorry No pic of my diffuser,, but similar to Alien BBQ's in attachment. OK I guess his attatchment won't show. If ?'s let me know.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ribs 192.jpg (70.1 KB, 1007 views)
File Type: jpg ribs 195 (2).jpg (61.2 KB, 989 views)
File Type: bmp untitled.bmp (434.2 KB, 1096 views)
BRBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-21-2010, 10:55 PM   #2
smoke it if ya got it
Full Fledged Farker

Wow looks great, nice shrinkage on the ribs. I use a 16 inch steel bowl as a water bath and a defuser. Love my UDS"s!

[COLOR=red]Rub it till it smokes![/COLOR]
smoke it if ya got it is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-22-2010, 12:18 AM   #3
Rookie'48
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I use a "grilling wok" that I got at Menards for less than $10.
Judge Number 6 competition BBQ team

Possibly the only judge ever to get an award from a bunch of cooks

UDS 075 UCB WSM and a bunch of other stuff.
Rookie'48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-22-2010, 06:33 AM   #4
BRBBQ
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie'48 View Post
I use a "grilling wok" that I got at Menards for less than $10.
I'll look into one. Are you filling it up with water? My intent during yesterdays cook was to slow down combustion air to Lump, I didn't like the run away fire

Old 10-22-2010, 06:34 AM   #5
BRBBQ
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke it if ya got it View Post
Wow looks great, nice shrinkage on the ribs. I use a 16 inch steel bowl as a water bath and a defuser. Love my UDS"s!
I was surprised by it, since I didn't use foil

Old 10-22-2010, 06:44 AM   #6
redbandit98
On the road to being a farker

I use the big brinkman charcoal pan that most people use in the WSM as a water pan. I use it as a water pan as well in the UDS.
redbandit98 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-22-2010, 06:47 AM   #7
Cliff H.
is One Chatty Farker

I like the wsm style diffuser design.

Triple 5 Competition BBQ

Formerly know as :

Metro Appliances and More Cooking Team
Cliff H. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-22-2010, 06:49 AM   #8
Rich Parker
Babbling Farker

I use a terracotta pot base covered in foil as my grease catcher / heat diffuser.

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-22-2010, 08:02 AM   #9
Smokin' D
is One Chatty Farker

Nice looking food you got there. Diffuser plates are the way to go IMHO with these drums.

Mine is a 30 gallon cover with a bunch of "scientifically determined" holes drilled in it. I have drilled more since this picture was taken.

Question for you: Do you notice a bit more fuel consumption with your diffuser in place?
Smokin' D is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-22-2010, 09:31 AM   #10
schoonch
Knows what a fatty is.

I've made a diffuser by covering the lower rack with HD foil and using the top rack to smoke. I've found that I can keep the temp a little lower when I'm smoking fish by doing that and I like the way the fish comes out better than directly over the fire.
schoonch is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-22-2010, 09:32 AM   #11
peppasawce
is one Smokin' Farker

I like SmokinD's heat diffuser it is well thought out

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-22-2010, 09:34 AM   #12
BRBBQ
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin' D View Post
Nice looking food you got there. Diffuser plates are the way to go IMHO with these drums.

Mine is a 30 gallon cover with a bunch of "scientifically determined" holes drilled in it. I have drilled more since this picture was taken.

Question for you: Do you notice a bit more fuel consumption with your diffuser in place?
I like your idea, my attachment above is some thing I would like to try also, I just have to find some thing big enough. My make shift diffuser was tin foil. I will say I used no water and like the results. More testing to come. To answer your question about fuel consumption, hardly any was used, below is a pic I took of the unburned Lump. I started drum fire at 10:45 am, once smoker reached 210F I threw the ribs on. They/it cooked at a temp of 210- 230F, I did see a 250 once but closed a vent and I was back at 230F until done, which was around 5-5:30pm. After ribs were done I opened all vents and threw the chicken on, they cooked at 325F for another 40 mins. I then moved them to the gas grill since I was cooking other things. Overall not much Lump was used, I'm suprised.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg coal 001.jpg (55.8 KB, 892 views)
File Type: jpg coal 002.jpg (86.2 KB, 893 views)

Old 10-22-2010, 09:39 AM   #13
D.F. Expat
Full Fledged Farker

I have been using a pizza stone covered in foil. So far so good for me, noticed a little less char flavor but the wifey loves it.

Old 10-22-2010, 09:41 AM   #14
BRBBQ
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin Newbie View Post
I have been using a pizza stone covered in foil. So far so good for me, noticed a little less char flavor but the wifey loves it.
My wife has a Pamperd chef stone I've been eyeballing

Old 10-22-2010, 10:21 AM   #15
D.F. Expat
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRBBQ View Post
My wife has a Pamperd chef stone I've been eyeballing
Haha, that's the one I snagged!