BBQ Chuck Roast - Recipe and Photos

patwill66

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
There isnt a whole lot on the forum about chuck roasts, compared to the well known cuts of meat for BBQ so I wanted to post about a chuck I smoked over the night.

First, I made a rub of the following ingredients.

1/2 cup brown sugar
3 T salt
1 T chili powder
1 T paprika
1 T garlic powder
1 T onion powder
1 t black pepper
1 t old bay
1/2 t dried thyme
1/2 t dried basil
1/2 t cinnamon
1/2 t ground ginger
1/2 t all spice
1/4 t cayanne

I then trimmed the roast of all the fat around the sides. It was 4lbs before trimming.

IMG_0294.jpg

Then I applied the rub generously. I only had about 1/4 cup of rub left.

IMG_0295.jpg

Next, I injected the roast with some Kosmo's Q beef injection, which I just won from the BBQ Central Show (thanks Greg!). I placed saran wrap over the top of the dish so the injection wouldnt squirt all over the place.

IMG_0296.jpg

This went into the fridge for two hours.

Arond 11:00pm, I prepped the smoker. I used hickory for smoke, two large chunks, totaling 10 ounces. I let the smoker preheat with the hickory for 15 minutes and put on the roast right at 11:30pm.

IMG_0298.jpg

Then I went to bed. The kids woke me up at 8:00am. I went out and took the temp of the meat and it was at 185. The smoker stayed around 225 the entire night. At this point, I placed the roast in a disposible foil pan with one can of beef broth and covered with foil. Then I put it back on the smoker.

IMG_0299.jpg

It was 9:00am when the meat hit 200 degrees. I then pulled the pan from the smoker and brought it inside. I put it in a 150 degree oven. The meat seemed a little tough still at this point.

By 9:30 the meat his 205 degrees and then started dropping in temp. I always hear people talk about carry over and the meat temp can raise 5, 10 even 15 degrees. This is a good example that even sitting in a warm oven the meat only raised 5 degrees.

I left it in the oven for 2.5 hours until 11:30am. You can see the meat starting to loosen up. It was ready to pull. It was 180 when I removed it from the oven.

IMG_0302.jpg

Here is a photo while pulling. You can see the meat is very tender. Its not mushy at all and is still keeping its shape very well.

IMG_0303.jpg

Here is the end product, pulled and all the fat discarded. I poured all the broth back into the pan to help keep the meat moist and to soften the bark. I started with a 4lbs roast and ended up with 2lbs of pulled meat.

IMG_0304.jpg

In the end, I think it came out very well. In the past I have always made chuck in the crock pot and the first time I made it on the smoker it came out tough. I went a lot slower this time and it came out great. I hope this post helps someone else in the future who is looking to BBQ a chuck.

Thanks for the great pictorial.

WOW, A very timely post. I just bought my first whole chuck on Saturday with just this process in mind, but I was going to have to ask the brethren for some advice... and here it is!

Thanks and Cheers!

Bill

Next time I do a chuck, I will make sure to foil around 150 or 160 degrees instead of 185 like I did this time. The bark got a little hard, harder than with a pork butt. Even after soaking in the au jus in the pan it's still a little hard. Still awesomely edible, but I just prefer a soft bark.

Your chuck looks great, and thanks for the recipe and the detailed pictorial! Very nice job!

I'm looking at a chuck for my next cook, I hate to buy them skinny briskets, nice job

I just checked the size of my chuck I bought... Over five kilos... approz 12 pounds and it's already trimmed... How long would you expect that to take in a COS?

I just checked the size of my chuck I bought... Over five kilos... approz 12 pounds and it's already trimmed... How long would you expect that to take in a COS?
Um...as long as it takes? (Ducking and running...)

i can taste that from here! nice job and thanks for the play by play.

Back