MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-07-2011, 10:10 AM   #8206
Crazydave
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

figured it was about time to add my $0.02.... I've been lurking around the bretheren for a while....

With the help of Brother Thawley I build a UDS.

Crazydave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-07-2011, 12:50 PM   #8207
Boshizzle
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy_Shuford View Post
Where did you order/find this hinges? I want some, bad!
http://www.boatersworld.com/product/MP80810844.htm

Old 07-07-2011, 05:24 PM   #8208
spareheat
Found some matches.

Thanks.
spareheat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-08-2011, 10:45 AM   #8209
malibuskier
Got Wood.

Well, it looks like I will taking the plunge very soon. I pick up my barrels on Tuesday and have already located a Weber parts pit. One more and I will be diving in. Have some great ideas from this thread, especially for carts. The UDS will, for the most part, be a simple one. Only a few mods from Norcoredneck....

Dave
malibuskier is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-08-2011, 11:15 PM   #8210
brewerjamie15
Full Fledged Farker

Looking at pics of people's work it seems that the 3/4" black pipe nipples are a pretty common way of air intake. Is this some big advantage over the more budget conscious "use a baffle over a hole" method? I can't see the pipes adding any "pull" for the air inlets but I can see them adding price to the smoker. Lots and lots of price.

Old 07-08-2011, 11:19 PM   #8211
Capozzoli
is one Smokin' Farker

Nipples shouldn't add too much cost.

The advantage is that you can screw on caps and valves. You can also add some pipe so the valve is at the top so you dont have to bend over to adjust the valve.

[url]http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/[/url]
[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][/COLOR]
Capozzoli is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-09-2011, 07:10 AM   #8212
mike5150
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewerjamie15 View Post
Looking at pics of people's work it seems that the 3/4" black pipe nipples are a pretty common way of air intake. Is this some big advantage over the more budget conscious "use a baffle over a hole" method? I can't see the pipes adding any "pull" for the air inlets but I can see them adding price to the smoker. Lots and lots of price.
When I make mine I am going to put (4) 1" holes then cover them with a baffle that's just me....that's what's great about the UDS make how you think if that way doesn't work change it. Great forum
mike5150 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-09-2011, 08:08 AM   #8213
Myershp
Got rid of the matchlight.

Hi guys, after reading a ton of info on here and other sites, finally got my UDS built last weekend and did the liner burn out. Cleaned it out and coated the inside with oil and did an initial just charcoal burn yesterday. Working like a champ!

Thanks for all the advice on here! I've never dealt with any kind of smoker beyond just eating before, so now to find some recipes and cooking temps and all that good stuff.
Myershp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-09-2011, 08:10 AM   #8214
Myershp
Got rid of the matchlight.

I ended up using magnets for my air intake control. Only word of warning is they get dang hot if you have to adjust them!
Myershp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-09-2011, 11:53 AM   #8215
mike5150
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myershp View Post
Hi guys, after reading a ton of info on here and other sites, finally got my UDS built last weekend and did the liner burn out. Cleaned it out and coated the inside with oil and did an initial just charcoal burn yesterday. Working like a champ!

Thanks for all the advice on here! I've never dealt with any kind of smoker beyond just eating before, so now to find some recipes and cooking temps and all that good stuff.
Let us see some photos!!!
mike5150 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-09-2011, 02:35 PM   #8216
Dave S
On the road to being a farker

Default Rising Temps

Hey guys, I just finished my first UDS and I'm having an issue with rising temps. I have about 10lbs of Kingsford in the basket and added 12ea hot coals to it. I started out with all three 3/4" pipe threads open and when the temp got to about 140 (very quickly) I shut all of them down and they have remained shut down. Im into my 2nd hour and the temp is a steady climb and is currently at 265 degrees. I'm thinking that I'm getting an air leak from the bottom of the drum. I used an open head drum and I'm using the removable top as the bottom of my UDS. I removed the white rubber gasket that was attached to the top of the drum so that it would not melt during cooks. Do you guys think that is the source of the leak? Those that have used open top drums and flipped them upside down, did you leave the rubber gasket on? What about running a silicon bead around the lid (bottom)? Any advice would be appreciated.
Dave S is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-09-2011, 09:00 PM   #8217
brickie
Full Fledged Farker

I built mine exactly as you did but yeah I ran a bead of silicone around the bottom of mine..Also not sure but 12 coals may be too much too start out with.I always start with 8 and it's been rock solid ever since. First time I used around 12 and I fought my temps as well.. Hope this helps.

brickie
brickie is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-10-2011, 10:42 AM   #8218
Dave S
On the road to being a farker

Okay, here is my first UDS's maiden voyage with food. When I seasoned it yesterday I had a hard time keeping the temps from escalating. I think I just left my intakes open too long. This time I kept them closed when I first lit it up and put the lid on quickly. Much easier keeping constant temps this time. Just gotta keep using it to get a better feel. Thanks to Norco and Marty for their help and suggestions. I think I'll paint it in another couple of weeks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF1391.jpg (111.3 KB, 776 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1393.jpg (54.2 KB, 774 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1392.jpg (90.2 KB, 775 views)
Dave S is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-10-2011, 01:14 PM   #8219
Jay871
Knows what a fatty is.

Was looking for anyone's opinion on when to put the meat on the UDS. I have no problem getting my barrell up to temperature, is it better to put the meat on right away or wait until you get to your targeted temp? I guess a follow up question would be, are you losing smoking time while you are waiting for your temp to rise?
Jay871 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2011, 01:28 PM   #8220
MushCreek
Full Fledged Farker

When you first start it up, you will probably get some white smoke, which can taste nasty. I usually let mine run for 1/2 hour. By ten, everything should be stable. If made and run right, you can get 20 hours or more out of a burn, so don't worry about that first 1/2 hour.

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker