MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 07-24-2013, 12:17 PM   #31
gettinbasted
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacked UP BBQ View Post
Sous Vide and holding in a cambro is totally two different ends of the spectrum. So you are telling me you pull your brisket off and put it into a cambro to continue breaking down collagen and connective tissue? Thats whats cooking it is for. If you are going to to tell me you are going to continue cooking in an uncontrolled atmosphere like a cambro to give you better results that is silly. I am a professionally trained chef with an education also in culinary arts and you can argue with me until you are blue in the face, there is no benefit of a cambro for any meat, anytime.
Congrats on your pedigree, that is very impressive. And yes, that is what I am telling you. I cambro my big meats for a period of time because they are cooked to a temperature where the muscle fibers will start to squeeze out the juice if they go to a higher temperature, but more collagen and connective tissue will still break down.

Your way is very valid so keep on doing it. I just disagree that "there is no benefit of a cambro for any meat, anytime". There is certainly no benefit to a closed mind and a blanket statement against other cooker's techniques.

Thanks from: --->

Old 07-24-2013, 12:18 PM   #32
gettinbasted
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Sous Vide and holding in a cambro is totally two different ends of the spectrum.
So are cooking a brisket and cooking a steak.

Old 07-24-2013, 12:31 PM   #33
INmitch
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Sous Vide and holding in a cambro is totally two different ends of the spectrum. So you are telling me you pull your brisket off and put it into a cambro to continue breaking down collagen and connective tissue? Thats whats cooking it is for. If you are going to to tell me you are going to continue cooking in an uncontrolled atmosphere like a cambro to give you better results that is silly. I am a professionally trained chef with an education also in culinary arts and you can argue with me until you are blue in the face, there is no benefit of a cambro for any meat, anytime.
So I take it that your putting your meat back on the heat before turnins. I'm just not getting your point. If your big meats are done 2-4 hours before turnins, your just leaving them set out wrapped on a table? That or there is more to your process than your letting us know. Which is confusing me and I'm sure some others not as seasoned as me.
It's got me thinking I should go throw away all my 1st place brisket trophies n 180 pins because I've been doing it wrong.

Old 07-24-2013, 12:38 PM   #34
INmitch
is one Smokin' Farker

I guess my point is apparently your doing far different than the norm. Which is fine. But there are quite a few people on here new to comps, and I think your steering them in the wrong direction.

Off my soapbox now.

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-24-2013, 12:43 PM   #35
roksmith
is one Smokin' Farker

For me, the biggest advantage to using a cambro for competitions is mostly about timing. Not completely, but mostly. Having a process that allows for every one of my meats to live in a cambro for some period of time allows me to have zero timing issues. I also happpen to believe that all of the meats.. not just the large meats benefit from some time in the warm box.

Old 07-24-2013, 01:25 PM   #36
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

Think the great thing about the Cambro is that there is no heat source inside it. They hold heat so well that you don't need one. You can accurately predict how long a cooked mass of meat is going to hold its temp.
Q-Dat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-24-2013, 01:54 PM   #37
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

You can cook your brisket how ever you would like. Hot holding is fine if it works for you. My "pedigree" has nothing to do with this other than you talking like you have the entire science of a cambro figured out when in fact saying it makes a piece of meat more moist is completely an opinion not a fact. As far as all of your first place finishes and 180 pins congrats to you, if you feel a cambro is a necessity to cook a brisket thats your opinion. Mine is that it is completely not needed and there is no reason to teach or "steer" all the new people on here to believe a cambo is a need for a bbq comp because it is not. Keep camboing if it works for you, I will continue to not cambro because it works for me on pork and brisket. My original point was to purchase more cooking room, there are good cookers that are cheaper than a good cambro.

Ocean County Pig Assassins competition team retired and is now known as Jacked UP BBQ

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine
Jacked UP BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-24-2013, 01:58 PM   #38
Dex
is one Smokin' Farker

This thread became interesting. Never thought it would turn into this
Dex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-24-2013, 02:15 PM   #39
Cayman1
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kave Dweller View Post
Got two calls in last three comps on brisket, one rested for 5 hours, one rested for maybe 30 minutes (it was not cooperating).
We have had exactly the same thing happen with the same result, calls for both. That's why I wonder if there is any benefit to resting more than 30 minutes other than timing.

We use a cooler, not a cambro and do so just to keep the meat above the danger zone prior to turn in. Don't really try to cook it more although I think that happens occasionally when we don't vent and cool quite enough before the cooler. Come to think of it, the last time that happened, I thought the brisket was overcooked but we got a call anyway, but heck, what do I know about it. I feel good if I don't drop it on the floor of the trailer. By that time of the day, I'm pretty wiped.

Old 07-24-2013, 02:15 PM   #40
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

Dex - to answer your question in my opinion, you can keep a brisket hot in a pan wrapped tight in foil for hours, you will also have the availability to reheat more towards turn in time if you need to. You can throw them in a cambro if it makes you feel comfortable about keeping it hot and breaking down more collagen. But coming from me and "my opinion" you dont need to.

Ocean County Pig Assassins competition team retired and is now known as Jacked UP BBQ

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine
Jacked UP BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-24-2013, 02:17 PM   #41
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

I Love My Cambro!
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-24-2013, 02:19 PM   #42
INmitch
is one Smokin' Farker

Jacked Up I now see the point you were trying to make. For the record...I hold my briskets in the same $14 28 qt Coleman cooler I've been using for 5 years now (ya I'm superstitious).

Butts go in the cambro.

Old 07-24-2013, 02:21 PM   #43
Smokin' Gnome BBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by INmitch View Post
So I take it that your putting your meat back on the heat before turnins. I'm just not getting your point. If your big meats are done 2-4 hours before turnins, your just leaving them set out wrapped on a table? That or there is more to your process than your letting us know. Which is confusing me and I'm sure some others not as seasoned as me.
It's got me thinking I should go throw away all my 1st place brisket trophies n 180 pins because I've been doing it wrong.
just a side note, I cook sooo hot that yes, my brisket can and does sit on a table wrapped in a heavy bath towel ( no not the one I use in the tub, an old one ) for 2-3 hours easily and will burn my hands when I pull it from the towel and foil.
Smokin' Gnome BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-24-2013, 02:23 PM   #44
Smokin' Gnome BBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledneck View Post
I Love My Cambro!
and let me guess your vacuum marinade tumbler as well.
Smokin' Gnome BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-24-2013, 02:23 PM   #45
BB-Kuhn
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Untraceable View Post
Im a comp n00b but I dont understand how you time something that is done when its done. I understand timing ribs/chicken but brisket and butts?
Practice.