MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-06-2013, 07:16 PM   #1
BL
Got Wood.

Default Karubecue

I have had several of you asking what a Karubecue pit is so I am posting some pics. Basically, it is pit master for morons i.e. me. The firebox is on top of the unit where you keep a fire burning constantly. It also has a controller box that is on the top of the pit as well. The controller has a temp control with a probe that is on the underside of the controller box inside the pit. There are two fans on the underside of the controller one of which is constantly going acting as a convection fan. The other fan is activated when the temp inside the box drops below the set temp and it produces a vacuum that draws from the firebox, under the fire, inverting the flame and pulling clean blue almost invisible smoke into the chamber. Once the pit senses it has hit the set temp the vacuum fan turns off until it drops below again. You can check out a more in-depth presentation at the website karubecue.com. My grandfather had an open pit he built from firebrick that he would burn wood down to coals then add smaller logs sporadically to keep a constant small fire going. His BBQ was outstanding and I would say that this really comes close to what he was able to do without the Phd in pit mastery.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KBQ.jpg (65.1 KB, 259 views)
File Type: jpg invertedFlame.jpg (52.4 KB, 258 views)

Old 06-06-2013, 07:27 PM   #2
TroyA65
is one Smokin' Farker

So it's a "stick" burner? No Lump?

Old 06-06-2013, 07:28 PM   #3
Budman1
is one Smokin' Farker

+1, thanks for the info.

Bob
Semper Fi
Budman1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-06-2013, 07:34 PM   #4
BL
Got Wood.

I do use some lump to get things started but primarily split logs. I used chunks as seen in the pics but they burn so fast I was loading the box every 15 minutes. Now, I split my logs to about the width of a beer can (which I always have one open and handy to use a measuring tool) and cut them to half length.

Old 06-06-2013, 07:43 PM   #5
Nugetsius
On the road to being a farker

I did a detailed un-boxing of mine here:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=157248

I have several pits including a homemade pig roaster, a fatboy, and a yoder 640. I think I get the best results from my karubecue, but boy it takes significantly more work compared to the fatboy. I'm currently experimenting with using the karubecue to get my smoke and color and then moving to another cooker after foiling to finish.
Nugetsius is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-06-2013, 07:44 PM   #6
Budman1
is one Smokin' Farker

you have to post some pRon pics next time you cook.

Bob
Semper Fi
Budman1 is offline   Reply With Quote