MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-16-2013, 08:07 AM   #1
bmonkman
Full Fledged Farker

Default Brisket - taking it to the next level

Ok, so I have done about 5 cooks of full packer briskets. My results have improved as my experience has increased. My most recent cook was, according to my wife, "momma slappin' good". I wasn't that happy with it. It was tender, tasty, good bark, etc. I wasn't sure until just now what was missing.

It hit me - it wasn't moist. It didn't have that nice sheen and glistening moisture when you cut it.

I started thinking about it and have figured it was the quality of the meat itself. I have been purchasing them from Walmart as I didn't want to spend a bucket load of money while I was learning. Excel was the meat packer and of course the package was USDA inspected but was not graded.

So I am going to go to a local butcher shop - they do custom cuts on site from the whole cow - today to see what the price per pound of a packer will be.

In addition to price what sort of questions should I ask since I assume I won't be able to see a finished product? (I know a cut like brisket they tend to do on demand.)

I will have more questions as this thread goes forward but I will stop here for now.

Brian
Ex-pat Canadian

[B][COLOR=Red]When all else fails just ask yourself, WWGALD???[/COLOR][/B]
bmonkman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2013, 08:13 AM   #2
Goddahavit
is one Smokin' Farker

I found a local butcher that stocks choice packers, about the same price as wallmart

the one that cuts from their own cows, is 2-3 times the cost, and they dont grade.

Wallmart around me, typically has select grade, but if not graded at all, id find a place you can get choice or better it will have more marbling and should be moister if cooked well.
Backyard Jambo
Stump's Stretch
Bubba Keg
Weber WSM
Old weber gasser
Goddahavit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2013, 08:23 AM   #3
Noob
On the road to being a farker

My local HEB has Ungraded Swift full packers. Ugly suckers. Sams club has select at 2.19 a lb and choice at 3.19 a lb. They had 1 prime yesterday, it was over $9. The price tag was ovef $110.

I went to walmart and got a 12.9 lb USDA Choice cut by Excel for 1.19!

Old 02-16-2013, 08:38 AM   #4
DMSinTexas
On the road to being a farker

Ask him if he has a nice phosphate injection you could buy.
DMSinTexas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2013, 08:54 AM   #5
Oldbob
is One Chatty Farker

If anyone has access to Gordon Food Service Stores they have Pretty good looking Full Packers they were Choice Grade for about $2.50/pound
Weber Gasser Genesis Silver A
Pit Barrel Cooker
Maverick ET-732
VietNam Veteran US Navy
May you Sleep in Peace always...and Please....Thank a Veteran for That Privilege!!
Oldbob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2013, 09:05 AM   #6
Boshizzle
somebody shut me the fark up.

Just select it the way you would select a good steak. Make sure it has good marbling of fat throughout the meat and look for a thick end on the flat opposite the point. Good luck!

Old 02-16-2013, 10:08 AM   #7
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

Unless you know the supplier, buying no-roll meat is always a gamble. Excel Choice and Select packers both produce good results. But, if there is no grade (no-roll) then avoid it. Local butchers typically cut off the best animal they can buy, they have to charge a little more, and try to go with better quality. You may want to find out how long the carcass has hung, as beef tastes better after a couple of days.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote