• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Seasoning help

sullysQ

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I've seen several recipes on here that call for granulated garlic, however I can't find any in the grocery stores or wally world. I have some garlic powder and minced garlic will that do in a pinch? Does the granulated garlic make that big of a difference and where can I find it or is it something I'll need to order off the www

Thanks

You can probably sub powdered for granulated. The difference is that the powdered is more finely ground than the granulated and may "cake up" where the granulated might make the rub more consistent. They should measure about the same tho

I was looking for roasted dry garlic and was talking with the president of the Cali. garlic growers association and he explained that garlic powder was just a finer grind that granulated garlic. Google it

I get hornswaggled by the local grocery on spices all the time, but using powder works just as well.

If I'm making a rub that has components that have different grind size, I usually either:

a) make a slather, which kinda' nullifies the whole clumping issue altogether, or

b) apply the "rub" in stages, starting with the more coarse grains (long grain herbs, kosher salt, cracked pepper, cane sugar), and moving to the more fine grains (garlic and onion powder, paprika, cayenne, chili powder, etc.). Starting with the more coarse grained elements seems to help with clumping of the finer elements after the rub starts to soak up the juiciness, and you get fewer concentrated spots of powdery stuff.

You could always take your other spices and grind them down to powder as well, but I find that getting the whole rub too fine will most def. result in clumping.

Thanks guys for all the suggestions. I had a DUH!!! moment Saturday when I finally found some at the local health food store two miles from the house :doh: Didn't think to look there til I was driving past and stopped in on a whim and lo and behold not only the granulated garlic but plenty of others to and it was .56 cents an oz to boot. Just glad it wasn't a snake as the saying goes.

Back