MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-13-2011, 03:00 PM   #1
frost54
Found some matches.

Default 55 Gallon drum question

I'm looking for some ideas on where I might find an unlined 55 gal drum. Have been trying craigslist and some local searches with no luck. After reading many posts, I really need to make a UDS. Some guys seem to find them pretty easily but here in Clarksville, TN it seems to be kicking my arse. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
frost54 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-13-2011, 03:10 PM   #2
Chopjaw
On the road to being a farker

I finally get to say it...

Go to this post and READ!!! http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=23436

I'm on page 256 and counting.....

Old 08-13-2011, 03:31 PM   #3
JMSetzler
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : John

Good luck finding an unlined drum. I wasn't able to find one but I'm still looking. I ended up with a tan liner in mine.

Old 08-13-2011, 03:54 PM   #4
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frost54 View Post
I'm looking for some ideas on where I might find an unlined 55 gal drum. Have been trying craigslist and some local searches with no luck. After reading many posts, I really need to make a UDS. Some guys seem to find them pretty easily but here in Clarksville, TN it seems to be kicking my arse. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

You can try visiting a local food processor in the area if there are none on craig's list.
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-13-2011, 03:57 PM   #5
Callahan-que
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Rick

Have you tried Google? I can get a reconditioned drum here in Jacksonville for around $30. I called and verified they are bare metal inside. You just might find one somewhere near you.

Old 08-13-2011, 04:12 PM   #6
swamprb

You gotta be kidding me!

I don't know where Clarksville is, but you may have to drive to the nearest "big city" if you can't find a drum in your backyard.

Here are some likely spots to look for drums:

Feed Stores
Oil Company
Paint Co.
Diesel Shop
Construction Co.
Food processors
Drum & Barrel reconditioner
Salvage yard
Army Surplus

order a brand spanking new one from Grainger!

Most closed drums are unlined and a Weber kettle lid will fit in most cases.
Diesel shops have open drums with lids for lube, that usually comes packed in a plastic liner and some drums are unlined or painted with rust inhibitor, Paint companies use drums that have paint products in liners, soap makers use coconut oil etc, etc, get creative - beggars can't be choosers, or not!
Feed Stores sometimes sell drums for dry storage
Construction companies use drums for hazardous waste, overpack drums for those...
Food processors use drums of olive oil etc.....

just sayin'

Nashville??
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-13-2011, 04:13 PM   #7
frost54
Found some matches.

Good point .... being a bit lazy I guess.

Old 08-13-2011, 04:20 PM   #8
sfbbqguy
is one Smokin' Farker

Hang in there frostie...you'll find one. Swamp's got some good ideas for you. I had my drum for about six weeks before i stumbled across an old Weber kettle with usable lid on a dog walk.

You likely don't need to read the entire UDS thread but there is certainly some good info there. It's getting so big it's tough to navigate. When I read it it was much shorter.

Keep us posted and good luck.
'08 Weber Genesis Gasser
SJG Tamale Pot Mini Smoker (SJG was a rescue)
and a Pyro FIL
sfbbqguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-13-2011, 04:38 PM   #9
kendall
Knows what a fatty is.

Default drums

Hey Frost
Dickson tn native here. I got 2 for 10.00 each at our local farmers co-op.
they had them out back of the automotive dept. they had held some kind of alcohol they used for parts cleaning. they are closed end with no cap on the bung hole.
I filled one full of water to force out any fumes and cut the lid off with a cordless sawzall. cooked my first butt in it last weekend.
If I can find my camera again I will put up some pics of the build. if you can't find one let me know, I still have one I have not used yet.
kendall is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-13-2011, 04:45 PM   #10
Michael_Plant_City
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Around here there are "Drum Recyclers and Re-conditioners". Find one and explain that you want a naked, stripped drum and they may give you a price break......

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-13-2011, 05:21 PM   #11
Rick T
Full Fledged Farker

Go to a green energy fuel depot.
the dump.
Large Truck service garages.

Driving down the road see one go give em $15
Rick T is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-13-2011, 05:28 PM   #12
frost54
Found some matches.

Thanks for your replies guys. I was looking for a food grade barrel as I didn't think barrels that held anything else was good to use. I guess that opens things up a bit.

Old 08-13-2011, 06:47 PM   #13
Disconnect
On the road to being a farker

We got ours from auto body shops - varnish/thinner drums have no liner cuz the thinner would dissolve it.

Sent from my HTC Vision using Tapatalk

Old 08-13-2011, 07:07 PM   #14
swamprb

I would think Nashville would have a barrel recycler in the area. My first drums were lube barrels I scrounged up, burnt out and pressure washed, then I found a guy that had some 39" tall drums from Australia that he imported Bee pollen and Echinacea in, $20 each!

JD used to get closed drums from Stock Pot soups that contained olive and canola oil for FREE. Those were sweet- just cut the lid and drill the holes, start your fire and they were self seasoning!

Now if I need a drum, I go to the source! Al's Drum and Barrels in Seattle-family business since the late 1800's! Picked up a reconditioned 85 gallon drum with lid (looked brand new) and a new 15 gallon with lid for $100 cash! Al's a little suspicious - thinks everyone is from the EPA, so bring cash, don't ask a lot of questions and did I say bring cash??
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-13-2011, 07:12 PM   #15
Seachaser
Knows what a fatty is.

Here you go!

http://www.volunteerdrum.com/
Seachaser is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.