What to charge............

jbrink01

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
This has to be the most asked question in this section of the forum. I had dinner tonight with Todd (Plowboys BBQ) and he had a suggestion - A BBQ / Catering Class.

I feed in the neighborhood of 15,000 people a year, and I do NOT have a high end commisary. I am HD legal and insured and PROFITABLE. The concept would be to disclose and discuss my recipes, purchasing, timing, staging, holding, presentation, profitability, competitive pricing and marketing.

If you've been asked to feed 100 people and didnt profit $500, you left money on the table. Contest classes sell for $500 and are a gamble. I'd like to show you my methods to earn money instead of spending it. Who would be interested and what would you pay?

A class on competitive bidding and dealing with wholesale costs jumping up and down would be a class subject I would be interested in.

Not sure what I'd pay..Maybe a couple hundred? Depending on class info?

This is a great subject and a class I would like to attend. Cookshack runs a series of classes like this that I think cost around 700 or 750 it includes hotel in Ponca City. I would think that this type of class would be more indepth and have a smaller class size than a Comp class. I would think that 500.00 would be a starting point. It depends on what you would offer... 1 day or 2 day and would it be just you or would Todd be helping.... Lots to consider but there is a market out there.

This is a great subject and a class I would like to attend. Cookshack runs a series of classes like this that I think cost around 700 or 750 it includes hotel in Ponca City. I would think that this type of class would be more indepth and have a smaller class size than a Comp class. I would think that 500.00 would be a starting point. It depends on what you would offer... 1 day or 2 day and would it be just you or would Todd be helping.... Lots to consider but there is a market out there.

Thanks for your input. I was thinking $350 - $500. Not sure if Todd would help or not. He did say he would like to be involved. We haven't really talked details, just the concept. Cookshack and Mike Mills do it, but they are assuming you have a restaurant. I started "off the radar" if you will and would devote time to being legal, but on a shoestring as well as staying "under the radar". I think mine would be more real world, because that's how I started.

I chose not to take a lot of profit initially and reinvest. I now have 2 FEC 500's, a catering / vending trailer, a large offset and a dedicated catering vehicle. TONS of "stuff", a 48" Chargriller, 2 commercial coolers and a warming oven. All with no debt. We plan to start taking a little more profit this year.

Our busiest weekend so far has been 1200 @ a company picnic, 300 at a wedding and 250 at another wedding. All on the same day.

I would be intrested in a class on this subject in a small setting. I would think it could be covered in a day setting since your not talking about actually cooking.

It sounds very interesting to me and something I would be interested in

If your not cooking and its not hands on, maybe you could webcast it and email materials to students. Then you could charge a little less 150.00 or 200.00 but do a lot more people. But whatever you come up I think it would be great.

Where do you think i learned from the last 4 years?

I think you would put on a great class. The info you have to offer saving all the start up mistakes could be invaluable. :thumb:

I think a class would be excellent. I have learned a lot from all the threads and post on here, but anytime someone that is successful in the business (such as yourself):p is willing to divulge what made them successful you can count me in.
I will have to check your materials in a free one on one tutoring session first.:crazy:

Sounds like a class I should keep an ear out for.

Wife and I are in the talking stages about getting into this Q'thang for business. While $500 isn't cheap it's a lot cheaper than making a few huge mistakes or a string of little one's. It's gotta be cheaper on the learning curve.

Once you get settled on this, I'll do my best to be sitting on the front row.

This thread is now on my subscription list and you can add me to your contact list for the class.

Blessings,

brotherbd

I like your first #, I would definitely be interested.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Wife and I are in the talking stages about getting into this Q'thang for business. While $500 isn't cheap it's a lot cheaper than making a few huge mistakes or a string of little one's. It's gotta be cheaper on the learning curve.

Blessings,

brotherbd

Thanks! My wife is an integral part of the business. She no longer has a "real job" and this works well for us what with 2 kids. SO it helps if yours is on board! Todd actually brought it up to me to do. I suppose I take my knowledge for granted, but it would have been nice to learn up front some of the potential pitfalls (would have saved me time and money in the first couple years).

Is there a time frame better or worse for everyone? Should I try and do it this summer or wait until fall? Washington Missouri is very convenient to St. Louis for travel, but, I'm not averse to tyravel if the attendee population density is skewed heavily away from here. We would not prep at the class, but I would have a serving line set up and we would certainly eat!

Vending would also be on the discssion board, as we still do about 24 days of it a year.

I'd be interested.

The wife and I have done a couple of cooks for some friends and have been idly talking about what we would need to do to make ourselves legal.
We were looking at the cookshack class but this seems like it would be far better for our needs.

Jeff I could get the Gym of our school if it is over the summer. it has a small meduim commercial kitchen if you need it... Near Westport Can get a computer proctor for PowerPoint slides or whatever.

This would be a great idea. I'd pay $500.00 for sure!! Business owners can just "write this off" as a business expense. Win-Win!!

Back