• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

How much pulled pork for 50 people?

KC_Bobby

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I'm in a wedding in July and have been asked by the bride and groom if I would bring some pulled pork for sandwiches to feed the wedding party and families prior to the ceremony. (Yeah, I can't wait to see those stains on the dresses and suits).

It's a late afternoon ceremony and I think they just want to provide some food for the group that needs to be there a few hours before so we're not starving through the ceremony and before the reception that evening.

So the total group is about 50 people including a half dozen children or so. I think two half pans will be about right - that's about 10 lbs. 1/5 lb each and not everyone will end up having a sandwich. Thoughts? (other then serve dry and let the person eating sauce it).

Maybe I should ask if they are having family over the following day to open gifts, then it could be served then. I'm not sure if their is a rehearsal dinner, as this is their second wedding (not to each other) and it's not the huge ******* most first weddings have become.

LOL im doing a party for 150. I was told 67lbs of meat at 1/3 lb per person. that is for 200 people so a 1/4 of 70lbs is about 18 lbs. so cook 20lbs of pork..

Here is the caluculation that I do......

1lb of cooked PP serves 3 people, figure 50% yield of a butt....so that's 15lbs for 45 people....which comes out to 30lbs of raw butt.

That's the figure I generally go with....30+lbs per 50 people. Butts average around 8+lbs usually, so I usually can serve 50 people with 4 butts.

Others may have it down to a science, but that's the figure I always use and we give big servings and always have a bit left for anyone that wants seconds.

Here is the caluculation that I do......

1lb of cooked PP serves 3 people, figure 50% yield of a butt....so that's 15lbs for 45 people....which comes out to 30lbs of raw butt.

That's the figure I generally go with....30+lbs per 50 people. Butts average around 8+lbs usually, so I usually can serve 50 people with 4 butts.

Others may have it down to a science, but that's the figure I always use and we give big servings and always have a bit left for anyone that wants seconds.
I agree with Fastball, I think 30# raw should do it, KCB.

haha, my two butts i bought were 2 lbs each..

hmmm....must have been boneless and just a piece of a butt. I only use the whole butt or the whole picnic....have occasionally done a whole shoulder (butt and picnic not seperated), but can't usually find those easily.

I'm not a big fan of the boneless variety unless I'm making country style ribs, which I usually grill instead of smoke, or if I'm making buckboard bacon.

Bobby, I just did brisket and butts for about 60 this weekend. 4 butts and 2 briskets. Butts were 30-34 lbs range. The 4 butts cooked filled the entire pan. I used the method of approx 50% shrinkage and 1/4 lb a person. You could always get tiny buns.

hmmm....must have been boneless and just a piece of a butt. I only use the whole butt or the whole picnic....have occasionally done a whole shoulder (butt and picnic not seperated), but can't usually find those easily.

I'm not a big fan of the boneless variety unless I'm making country style ribs, which I usually grill instead of smoke, or if I'm making buckboard bacon.

boneless and was 100% organic to. they was good cuz they shredded so fast and easy

I should have stated that I'm thinking in terms of finished product. I have about five 5lb half pans of pulled pork in my freezer from my last 2 comps and I have 2 more comps before the wedding - they gotta go somewhere.

Thanks, you've talked me into 3 half pans, which I think will will be more then enough - that's about a 1/3 pound of finished product per person. But better to have extra then run out

Anyone want to buy some comp pork? :icon_shy

Ray, the streak ended Sunday at the GAB at 9 straight pork calls. We got a call in the Invite, but not in the Open. We needed one more taste point to tie for 19/20th :frown: (called up to 20th place), but even then I think we would have been the odd man out - based on the judges scores I believe it got all 9's in appearance (teams did not receive individual judge score sheets and yes, I made a spreadsheet of all possible scoring scenarios).

Hoping to start a new streak at the Qlossal. We're 3 straight in Iowa! :mrgreen:

most of the time the meat is never the problem...running out of sides seems to happen a lot.at weddings everyone eats but eats light...so they tend to go for the slaw tater salad beans etc.Dunno if you are part of that but always slightly over calculate the sides for formal parties.

Pretty much agree with Fastball but what I do is 50 people= 5 butts or 1 butt per 10 people.Most butts average 8lbs so I feel 1lb +- wont matter. Yeah that may b a little much but everyone eats and there is enough for seconds and a couple sammies for myself.lol hasn't failed me yet. Keep in mind. better to let them take bbq home than to have them go hungry.

It's a late afternoon ceremony and I think they just want to provide some food for the group that needs to be there a few hours before so we're not starving through the ceremony and before the reception that evening.

Reception...a dinner or just cake, mints, peanuts etc? If there is actual food at the reception then you won't want to feed them too much that close to eating again. Perhaps go with less Q and smaller buns or rolls...pulled pork sliders with chips or something. :thumb:

I cooked butt for a church function. Cooked 6 butts averaging 8 pounds. Fed 60+ people according to the sign in sheet and had about 1-1/2 left.

haha, my two butts i bought were 2 lbs each..

If you have a Sams Club in your area, they carry bone-in pork butts, 2 butts/pkg, ~ 8 lbs/butt. I agree with the above posts that four to five 8 lb butts should be more than enough for 50 people. Better to have too much than too little.

Last edited:
Back