MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-10-2014, 09:34 AM   #31
16Adams
somebody shut me the fark up.

I must confess, I am an above average beer drinker

Old 01-10-2014, 09:45 AM   #32
aawa
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16Adams View Post
I must confess, I am an above average beer drinker
Ahh so that is what your "guilty food" is :p

I don't drink very often, so I like to partake in my "guilty" foods over having several beers. Different strokes for different folks!

Old 01-10-2014, 10:06 AM   #33
bander7003
Full Fledged Farker

I too and trying to get in shape this year. I've been exercising -- eliptical in the morning (most mornings) and walking stairs at work (I work on the 16th floor). That helps, but more than anything, I've been tracking what I eat and using portion control. That has been very effective so far. Turns out I may be a pig that likes to eat too much. When I do even a little bit of exercise, I am more focused on what I eat so that I have a "good" diet day.

I still BBQ and make the other stuff I like, the way I like to make it. I just have smaller portions and no seconds. I also have a hard rule not to eat after 8pm each night. That cut out my late night desserts. I've also established Sunday as a "cheat" day if I've had a good week. I still exercise on Sunday, but that is my day to have whatever I want (e.g., mac n cheese, beer, etc.). I typically smoke on Sunday too, so that works well for me. It's a red meat, cheese and beer day for me. I really enjoy the positive results from the exercise and dieting, but I do need to "blow off some steam" every once in a while. I already feel much better, have lost 7#s and have only been at this for a couple of weeks.

Klose 24x50 BYC
Backwoods Fatboy
Weber Kettle
[COLOR=blue]Rock Chalk Jayhawk Blue[/COLOR][COLOR=black] Thermapen[/COLOR]
Weber Gasser (out of gas)
bander7003 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2014, 10:12 AM   #34
bander7003
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by aawa View Post
One of my favorite tools that I use to count calories is the app MyFitnessPal on my smartphone.
I second this app. It has really helped me too. It has a huge data base of dishes when eating out or from the grocery store. You can scan the barcode of what you eat and it enters it for you or you can create receipes of food that you make at home and it will calculate the calories, etc.

Klose 24x50 BYC
Backwoods Fatboy
Weber Kettle
[COLOR=blue]Rock Chalk Jayhawk Blue[/COLOR][COLOR=black] Thermapen[/COLOR]
Weber Gasser (out of gas)
bander7003 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2014, 12:04 PM   #35
SmokinJohn
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Untraceable View Post
Grilled meats and vegitables. the key to dieting and using your equipment more
I saw what you did there

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-10-2014, 12:43 PM   #36
Cabin Fever
Full Fledged Farker

I'm no expert on losing weight by any means, but ten years ago I lost just over 100 pounds in a year by changing three different things. I cut out all sugars including fruit, sodas, juices, candy, etc and only drank water. I also cut back on portion sizes and started walking 3-4 miles a day. People at work thought I was sick as I went from a 48 inch waist to a 32. Sadly though I've been unemployed for a couple years now and am back to we'll over 300 pounds again with half a dozen health issues. I would like to point out again though that I didn't avoid any foods at all except for sugar and I simply ate less. Now if only the me of 2014 could get that through his head again.
Cabin Fever is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2014, 03:51 PM   #37
teej
On the road to being a farker

Paleo eating is very compatible with the BBQ "lifestyle". Cutting out processed foods and exercising goes a long way.
teej is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2014, 04:05 PM   #38
16Adams

Tonight my least favorite but gonna try to make it past my lips. Blackened bbq cedar planked fresh salmon, grilled asparagus wrapped in pruscetta, Greek Salad with extra calamato olives and half a large grilled sweet potato. It really is a cool way to eat, no counting of calories or carbs.

Beautiful in Amarillo today. Walked five miles

Old 01-10-2014, 04:24 PM   #39
spedly
Full Fledged Farker

This is a great thread. I'm in the same boat as some others. I quit smoking cigarettes last April 2 after 25 years. When my taste buds came back to life I was in awe of how awesome food tasted and gave myself the remainder of 2013 to enjoy what I had been missing out on.

I put on 25 guilt-free pounds, but when Jan 1 came along I knew that the other shoe had fallen and had to follow through on my commitment to myself, which was to get back into shape and get back to a better weight.

It's only been a week or so for me so I'm still fumbling through this. I've cut out butter, margarine, cream, and soda and am using MyFitnessPal to help with portion control and counting calories. Also incorporated some exercise but am starting out slow with that. It's been so long that burning 250 measly calories just about knocks me on my butt!

Anyways thanks to everyone who have shared their secrets and their success stories. I'll be following this thread intently!

Old 01-10-2014, 05:03 PM   #40
16Adams

Spedly please obtain a copy of the book Eat To Live by Dr Joel Furhman. Give it 30 days. You won't go back. I didn't smoke, my vice was Copenhagen. Lots of folks in our shoes. Lots

Old 01-10-2014, 06:05 PM   #41
bosco0633
is one Smokin' Farker

this is great info, exactly what I am looking for. I have dropped 10 pounds in almost 2 weeks. I have been following weight watcher on my own and having great success. I always read all these great meals and for the most part there is a lot to BBQ that is unhealthy.

I take comfort in reading these posts to know that although BBQ could be seen as unhealthy, several of us are able to share stories of similarity. It is refreshing and encouraging to know that there are many out there in the same shoes as me.

Thank you so much.

I hope this thread will always be able to provide encouragement to others looking to shed a few pounds in our little community.

Old 01-10-2014, 06:07 PM   #42
Carbon
is One Chatty Farker

Another thing that helps is I rarely enjoy my own Q. I'll take a bite here and there but that's all. Nothing wrong my my Q as everyone else seems to enjoy it.

Old 01-10-2014, 07:24 PM   #43
Cabin Fever
Full Fledged Farker

I just thought I'd throw this out there, but I remember reading somewhere online that pulled pork with all the fat removed is almost as lean as turkey. At least not all is lost for us.
Cabin Fever is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2014, 08:02 PM   #44
16Adams

Default Dieting can be fun

Salmon Seasoned with Coopers and one tablespoon brown sugar for the 2.5# filet

Last edited by 16Adams; 06-01-2014 at 11:41 AM..
16Adams is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-11-2014, 11:13 AM   #45
njfoses
On the road to being a farker

It's all about portion control and moderation. You dont have to completely cut out animal products, carbs, sugar etc. You just have to have portion control and eat the "bad" foods in moderation. I only have one life on this earth so you can bet your behind i will eat a burger once in a while, pizza etc.
njfoses is offline   Reply With Quote